GDT: 11/27/19 - 7:00PM EDT - St. Louis vs Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by TheDaysOf 04, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Tampacuseforever

Tampacuseforever Registered User

“ great player in his role” now your stretching it. Average at best which is not a big problem.

Zwui21 likes this.
  2. LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes Elite Fan

Joseph doesn't get PP minutes, that's correct but he plays top-6 minutes on even strength right now and is on pace for 26 points in 82 games. He had 26 points in 70 games last season on our 3rd line. I love his hustle and speed but with all the chances he's getting and creating, he needs to start converting some of those soon.

Same story with Johnson. Why can't we have all three original TKO players play well at the same time? The second Palat resurges, TJ starts sucking.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  3. Maelmoor

Maelmoor HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

TyJo is still creating chances, just a bit snakebitten as of late, which can be seen from his shot percentage, which is below career average, so I wouldn't be worried about him, the effort is still there, though obviously playing with Verhaeghe and Conacher doesn't make things easier.

4. HoseEmDown

HoseEmDown Registered User

You sure about that? He plays less at ES than Paquette does. He only gets more minutes and shifts than Maroon. NHL.com isn't tracking p/60 anymore but I would say his ES p/60 is better than Johnson and probably isn't that far behind guys like Palat, Killorn and Gourde who only have 3 or 4 more ES points.

5. DFC

DFC Registered User

He's average right now, at least in terms of production, but you'd have to be blind to not see potential for more. It's his sophomore season, and he's not a star player, nor a guy like Gourde coming into the league at 26/27. Let's give him some time to develop. He jumped the line a little bit to the NHL last year. In a year or two he could be doubling his current production.

6. Sky04

Sky04 Registered User

He was never projected as a top-6 player, as far as his skillset goes he's pretty limited. I don't see a 50 point player in Joseph, that's Tyler Johnson level of production you're alluding to without nearly the offensive pedigree. As far as being a 40 point player goes, that's what Killorn produces yearly and I can confidently say Killorn does more offensively than Joseph - at the same age Killorn was already a 0.5PPG player.

He should be more consistent but I doubt his production takes any major jump, 30 point player might have 1 or 2 peak seasons in the 40's if things go right but I'd be surprised to see him get a point every other game - especially since he's not making anybody's top-6.

7. DFC

DFC Registered User

I just think he can be better than an average 3rd liner. I don't think he gets quite to Johnson territory, but I do think we could see a 20-20 year or two out of him.

8. HoseEmDown

At the same age Killorn was still in college. Killorn didn't play his first NHL game till 23, Joseph is still just 22. Killorn while never being highly skilled offensively was still always getting PP time. Killorn scores great at ES but he also gets about 5-10 points on the PP a year. Killorn also played a lot in the top 6 with Stamkos early in his career. I'm not saying Joseph is easily better than Killorn but he has some good offensive skills but doesn't get used in an offensive role ever. He was a very good scorer in the Q, he was top 5 in rookie scorer in the A, he scored more than Volkov or Cirelli. He's not going to be a 30 goal scorer, he may never hit 50 but he should be a consistent 40 point player with limited PP time. He's in a slump right now, no need to write him off already.

9. Sky04

Sky04 Registered User

Hi scoring in the Q isn't really that impressive considering they were overage seasons and weren't even top-10 finishes. If his production were like Gourde and ABB I could see your point.

Getting top-6 time with Stamkos hardly means production increase for anyone. If you can produce with Stamkos that's more on you than him, Killorn just happens to be versatile enough to fit anywhere. Joseph was tried in that spot early in the season and didn't do much - granted small sample size but he did get the opportunity and didn't take it. I'm not writing him off, I just don't see as high an upside of 40 points.

10. HoseEmDown

He wasn't top 10 in scoring because he didn't play close to the same number of games, he played over 10 less than most of the players ahead of him because he was at the WJC. Barré-Boulet is the same age as Joseph, Joseph had 80 points in 54 games his last year while that same year Barre-Boulet had 81 in 11 more games. Barre-Boulet big season was when he was an overager, Joseph was never an average player, he turned 20 late in his last season. Barre-Boulet was a true overager his 100 point season.

Still getting to play with Stamkos should be able to get you a few easy points here or there, if you only play a hamdfha of games like this year not likely but over 82 that's probably 5-6. You also are getting more ice time per game if you are playing that high up in the lineup. Joseph paced for 30 last year and is similar this at still only 22, to say 40 is a stretch is also a stretch.

11. LoSTRaMaiR

LoSTRaMaiR Registered User

I did not see anybody mention this in the GDT. Were there "Let's go Blues" chants during the game? I thought I heard it several times with some Bolts fans trying to drown it out on occasion. Never noticed it before at home against St. Louis. Was it just because the Blues won the cup or have we always had a bunch of Blues' fans?