GDT: 12/9/19 - 7:00PM EDT - New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by TheDaysOf 04, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Master P

Master P Registered User

I guess you can tell yourself that after this team doesn't make the playoffs.

"just bad luck"

2. Sila v Kucherove

Sila v Kucherove Yzerman 3:16

Isn't that what Cooper will say?

DaBolts and Bozo Nicholson like this.
  3. Byrddog

Byrddog Registered User

Retired
    That is the typical Trotz team. When he gets a lead early he goes for the throat. We were out backchecked out forchecked the entire game. One power play cost the game. We had the PP gave up a shortie somehow avoided another one a breakaway and we gave the two more odd man rushes in the same PP. We also had a 4 on 1 during that PP and did not score. The air left the building after that. The offside goal called back was no surprise and was a beautiful play by the two defensemen, but that was one play, would have been another D goal but we are just giving up too many odd man rushes with the D doing this.

I expected a 2-1 game knowing Trotz I watched him in Nashville from 98 until he left. His entire team buys into the type system we saw tonight. If you can not get him early his team grinds you to a loss. But Coop's team just folded flat folded, lost most all the battles along the boards and made Varly look like a 40 game winner. The funny thing San Jose could have done the same thing to Coop if they had got an early lead they had to take chances and play from behind making mistakes that we capitalized on.

McElhinney is a problem he has given up 19 goals in the last 5 starts. But he did actually win allowing 6 against the devils. Now I know there are those that will throw advanced stats out there to defend him but we need a back-up that can win at a .500 clip. He has started 8 games and won 3 and has only one game where he has allowed less than 3 goals. Why he was started well that's another brainfart.

4. Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy I've many surnames

Thought we played pretty good but just couldn't convert, which is an issue with all the talent we have.
    Kuch needs to raise his game and it wouldn't hurt to get some of the bounces our way.
    This reminded me of the Colorado game, in which they scored in almost every dangerous chance they had, despite us carrying the play most of the time.

Either way, if we don't finish the chances we're going to lose 2 of the next 3, maybe all.

5. JoVel

JoVel Registered User

What's up Coop?

6. FinnLightning26

FinnLightning26 Death and no taxes

If we don't make the playoffs we're just saving energy for next year!

7. Maelmoor

Maelmoor HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

I'm confident we will get into the playoffs, my dream scenario is that we sneak in there after ending the regular season strongly, think that would give us a good shot at the cup.

8. Zwui21

Zwui21 Registered User

At least 3 of those losses weren't even close to being on McElhinney. He was hanged out to dry over and over again, was definitely not his fault.

DaBolts likes this.
  9. BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder Registered User

Home Page:
    As mad as I was at the end of this game, I have to admit that I was mainly upset because I felt that we actually outplayed them for most of the game. Every single mistake we made, it seemed, was capitalized on by them. Like that first goal they scored in the third...we're applying big time pressure in their end for the entire start of the 3rd, like 5-6 straight minutes of game time, and BOOM, they score on their one offensive push of that period and go up 3-1. TOTALLY deflating. Then it happens again. And again.

The quick scoring in the third made it seem like we got blown out, however, I honestly feel we completely outplayed them.

It's true that we've got to eliminate the breakdowns we've been having but, at the same time, we need our goalies to step up and make some big saves in those instances too. We've NOT been getting that this season. Seems every mistake we've made has ended up in the back of our net.

10. Rschmitz

Rschmitz Registered User

Mathematics Professor
    I’m solidly in the “fire Cooper” camp, but I don’t feel like this lose is on him.

Still the team I am sure knows that if they don’t win games the coach is on the chopping block.

Goaltending especially has returned after a long hiatus as the Achilles heel of the team. I think with average goaltending we are in a playoff spot.

BeingTheThunder likes this.
  11. T REX

T REX Registered User

Trotz us 18-0-3 when they score 3 goals this season. Lol. He knows how to coach. Our guy? Lol. Useless.

12. The Gongshow

The Gongshow Registered User

This is exactly it. Our guys are no longer giving into Coop, he's lost the room and the team folds at any sign of defeat. Coop cant motivate the boys back into games by chewing gum

Goaltending is one of our biggest issues but we desperately need a back up who can actually stop a puck and be reliable, weve rotated backups for the past few years now and I bet we do it again next year. Mac is trash, never understood why we got him in the first place.

13. AlwaysSunnyInTampa

AlwaysSunnyInTampa LOLZ! This friggin sucks dude!

Wouldn't you like to know
    Deep breaths guys. Seriously.

Vasilevskiy likes this.
  14. MattMartin

MattMartin Killer Instinct™

I'm sorry to come after a loss. I think the boys know the regular season means dick and you guys will be a force in the playoffs this year. I just wanted a opinion if you saw anything you liked/disliked in terms of overall play from the Islanders. Sometimes it's easy to miss or oversee certain things.

Thank You
    MM

15. LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes Elite Fan

If not the SHG, the 1st Nelson goal sure was the neck breaker for us. Up until then we didn't look too bad. Great execution by the Islanders all game long IMO. Converted on the powerplay, killed off three Lightning powerplays (while scoring a shorthander as well)... I didn't see any weaknesses in your game. I mean you allowed more shots, lost more faceoffs, took more penalties but still won the game 5-1, so that doesn't mean y'all didn't play well.

BeingTheThunder likes this.
  16. BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder Registered User

Home Page:
    They also took advantage of every mistake/opportunity the Lightning gave them.

17. MattMartin

MattMartin Killer Instinct™

Thanks for the insight folks! GL rest if the way!

18. CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash Registered User

We didnt play a bad game. Just couldnt score and it seemed like the Islanders scored everytime they had a scoring chance. Where is our goaltending this year??

19. Antiramie

Antiramie Registered User

This team still plays soft in the front of the net on both ends of the ice and passes up too many shooting opportunities when there’s openings. We could have had 40 SOG last night if this team wasn’t coached by a dunce. Our goalies haven’t been good, but our defense in front of them has been worse.

Losing to other teams who were just more “opportunistic” is excuse code for them getting better scoring chances (in front of the net, odd man rushes, breakaways, etc) and capitalizing. We can hit all the posts in the world from the perimeter...doesn’t mean they were quality chances that you can compare to playing better transition hockey and dirty goals in front.

Same ****, different season. This team isn’t going anywhere with Cooper. A blind man can see that.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  20. DFC

DFC Registered User

Yeah. Since the Sweden trip, we've carried the majority of play in almost every game, but the results are a mixed bag. Vasy's the only player who's really not playing up to his expectation. At a certain point, over a big enough sample, "process" has to give way to "results." We're not getting the results we should be. Which again points back to Cooper, IMO, ultimately.

21. DFC

DFC Registered User

One positive note is I think CV had another strong game. He might be top-six or bust though. Looks bad when he's not creating plays for skilled players.

22. DFC

DFC Registered User

I agree that we played well. And I think that would be good enough if it weren't almost mid-December, with a team hovering just barely above .500. At a certain point, outplaying the other team in a loss isn't good enough, and I think we're there.

LoSTRaMaiR likes this.
  23. Fudge

Fudge Fudge Sponsor

IT
    Guys. The boys played hard. They deserved better. The outcome just wasn't there. One lucky bounce and we could have won 10-5. It's hockey. That's how it goes. Let's just try (but not too hard, remember) to win tonight.

24. Tampacuseforever

Tampacuseforever Registered User

? He had two horrible offensive zone turnovers in the first period. He’s strictly an offensive player.

25. DFC

DFC Registered User

Sure. But he also created plays all night long. Never said he was anything but strictly an offensive player. That's exactly what he is.

VinikToWinIt likes this.