2018 whl bantam draft

Discussion in 'WHL' started by Mvprice, May 6, 2017.

1. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Foodib

So the Oil Kings took Guenther, despite Lambos being the consensus #1 overall.

Anyone with the lowdown on Guenther? Why the EOK would go that direction instead of Lambos?

2. Capitals03

Capitals03 Registered User

Look at the top 10 players and their birth locations and where they ended up. Most were taking by their home town teams. They really are guessing on where these kids will end up. You have a 5'8 Def player and a 6'2 player. who will be the better player in 3 years. All they can do is get a best guess. But at home they can keep a eye on their product. imo

3. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    Agree here. Will the 6'2 160lb player fill out or can the 6'2 195lb player develop their skating. Gambles all of them.

4. Maddox

Maddox Registered User

Totally agree. I dont think its as cut and dry as some seem to think. I couldn't afford the academy cost, but we made it work as that was what we deemed the best fit for our son. And yes, some higher end do get discounted rates and others "pay to Play", this is very true.
    But we feel we did the right thing this season and our boy was drafted in the third round today, a lot having to do with his academy training.
    We loved the program, but we are unsure of what he will be doing this year, so for us we have to get back to the drawing board and figure out what the best route would be. As said above, if there is no room for him on the prep midget team at the school he is at now. So do we play Elite 15's? Or do we make the move back to club hockey and try out for Midget AAA? I know we will think it through and hopefully do whats best for his development.

bawkbawk and 04goaliedad like this.
  5. Capitals03

Some one asked earlier

AB - 68, BC - 49, SK - 42 MB - 33, USA - 32

6. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Best player goes 18th to Kelowna, the rich get richer, but hard to blame them when 17 other teams allowed Wong to drop that far.

7. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    I guess I know he is one of two kids, guessing the goalie. ;) Congrats, it is a long road. There is Elite 15s but club has MMAAA. It is only the really top 15 yo that play MAAA. Year before last our Lethbridge drafted players both played MMAAA. (Also if you don't have an advisor, I can recommend one.)

Maddox likes this.
  8. Steele

Steele Registered User

Suprised to see some of the names drafted. Since I'm from the St.Albert area, I went out to some of the CSSHL games this year. A couple kids from the NAX and Delta teams went undrafted, who I thought were surefire picks. Then I see some of the kids who I've never heard of because they played in a league with inferior competition. Any thoughts on why that happened?

9. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    NAX had everyone drafted that was .5 PPG or more other than Jack Parker. Who was missed?

10. Steele

Steele Registered User

DeGraves had a 1.1ppg

11. Steele

Steele Registered User

Also liked Quinn Messer off of Delta I believe had around 0.7ppg.

12. Steele

Steele Registered User

And Parker as well. All three went undrafted.

13. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    Nick is also 5'4 and 115 lbs. I know small guys can make it, but tough for a guy that small. Doing a quick look around Messer seems the strangest undrafted one. Probably get listed after the fact.

14. Steele

Steele Registered User

He’s not that small.

Attached Files:

15. Steele

Steele Registered User

Have to remember some of these kids are physically more mature than others. Wouldn’t be surprised if a top pick this year turns out to one of those guys.

16. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    I don't disagree about size. All the kids develop vs their weaknesses. He just falls on the level of really small. Probably why he was passed up.

17. Capitals03

a few other items on why some players did not get selected. Its possible they have already decided to go college if they are not a top 20 and they decided when they speak to the GM's will take a player less skilled , but more a of a% of playing in the WHL. over half the DGA Green was not selected, and either goalie. But this does leave the door open to attend any WHL camp they like or get invited too.

No Coach can teach two items. Size or heart. Many teams went with size since its a sure thing.
    I would like to see how many players were drafted 5'9 and under. Then look and see how many were Def and Goalies, Those who were have enough heart to take a chance.

Heart is standing in front of your goalie , knowing you are going to get hit, speared, punched,
    then You can really tell when the puck goes into the corners and who glides in and who skates the entire way. Those 3 extra strides make a difference.

You cant compare teams or leagues. If a goalie has great numbers , is it him or the def in front of him. According to the Scouts It was Delta Green Def. 6 of the 8 were selected and no goalies.
    So look for a team where the goalies were selected with lower GAA. and few Def selected.

Yes it takes time. But with some detective work you can see what they saw.

NAX,RHA.YALE all had well balanced teams. DHA had Def , BWC had goalies and were either high picks or very low. in the end it really does not matter. ( but try telling the players who were high on WEHP and not selected)

18. Capitals03

World 03 Select Tournament update Both the Western Canadian and Pacific Selects lost in the Semi Finals. Not bad for 36 Teams around the world. The Finals are Russia ( Who played a few years back in the Miami Belle Tire Tournament and East Coast Ontario ( with a few from Little Caesars)

That Russian team is very good.

Thats all for the 03's.

Summer break

19. Daneurism

Daneurism Registered User

Saw Degraves play a couple times and he's uber smart and skilled. He also looks like he's 10 years old, and is likely in for a major growth spurt. I gotta think it's college concerns, cause I can't imagine a team not taking a flyer in the 12th round or so.

20. 04goaliedad

04goaliedad Registered User

Very well written!

21. Jeff V

Jeff V Registered User

Did the rich really get richer? It's a long shot he'll ever play in the dub if he's already committed to a college.

22. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    Agree, he is already committed to Harvard.

23. Juniorhockeyguru

Juniorhockeyguru Registered User

Yeah he's committed to Denver, and IF he ever shows up, it won't pay off for 3-4 years. And that's IF he does show.

24. Juniorhockeyguru

Juniorhockeyguru Registered User

Kamloops fans are excited for Stankhoven.....he could of just as easily went 1st overall as well.

25. Capitals03

As with WHL, BCHL and every other league including NCAA. At this age its a verbal only, Can not sign till 10th grade. Plus there is now another issue, since he made a verbal. the coach of Denver is now gone. So the Verbal does not mean anything. This part is of NCAA is no different, a Coach could love a player offer him the world. then the next day be gone, and the new coach could have a different agenda.

Who knows if he will still go to Denver. The World Select had over 45 Coaches from the NCAA all looking at players from Canada and the USA.

Men's Ice Hockey | 5/4/2018
    Twitter@DU_Hockey
    JIM MONTGOMERY NAMED HEAD COACH OF DALLAS STARS

Jim Montgomery