2019-20 Carabao Cup

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by robertmac43, Aug 6, 2019.

1. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Outside of the goals and assists Liverpool completely controlled the game (a lot of which was down to Liverpool’s youngsters press/possession play). Elliott created the most chances on the field and won a penalty (should have had at least one assist from Origi as well), Neco had an assist and gave some beautiful outlet passes (including the one that led to the Mustafi own goal). Jones came on and immediately made Liverpool more threatening. You’re right there’s more to the game than scoring and assisting and in those areas the Liverpool youth were a fair bit ahead in execution.

I definitely preferred what I saw overall from Liverpool (though I am a big fan of Martinelli) and they won so I’m pretty happy overall.

2. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    Pretty bad sign when the go-to is “ our youth drew a game (reality: failed to advance) against other youth from a team 12 points ahead of us after 10 matches.”

Appalling lack of self awareness.

OhCaptainMyCaptain likes this.
  3. AB13

AB13 Registered User

Martinelli and Saka where constant threats, Martinelli a lot better than all of your youngsters. Willock worked harder than anyone and scored a brilliant goal, Maitland-Niles scored and pressed well, Guendouzi was decent when he came on. Torriera is young and did well. Brewster, Van Den Berg and Gomez where all absolutely horrendous, and Williams struggled against Saka. Your most impressive players where your experienced ones.

4. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    Torriera turns 24 in a couple months...

5. Savant

Savant Registered User

Martinelli impressed me. Saka too. They had a lot more experience then their Liverpool equivalents. I disagree on the LFC players being “absolutely horrendous”. I also don’t think it needs to be a measuring contest about one group being better than the other.

If Brewster scores the first goal (instead of it being Mustafi own goal) I think his performance is perceived a lot differently. Especially being compared to Martinelli who had a brace. Brewster and Origi reminded me yesterday a lot of how Burnley play with their two strikers honestly. Van Den Berg has an awful first half, but I though he improved in the second. Gomez I thought was fine, and he had a ton to do on that back line. Saka had his moments against Williams, but Williams had his moments against Arsenal himself. For an 18 year old defender in his first appearance, I don’t really know how much else you can ask for. I think Keita was dreadful. Milner was bad defensively. Lallana battled through it but wasn’t special. Origi did Origi things. Jones did great when he came on. Elliot has a solid game. Kelleher was rough but saved a PK; which the Arsenal keeper could not.
    I don’t think any of the young LFC players embarrassed themselves, and they will get another shot against Aston Villa.

Whatever happens happens. It was a fun game, but it was not a good game. To me the turning point was when Arsenal took Ozil off. I have no idea why y’all did that.

6. HoseEmDown

HoseEmDown Registered User

I saw this coming before the draw. The FA is a joke with these draws for some clubs.

7. OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain Moderator

School
    Didn't they miss a handball right before that anyway?

8. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

So again, I'm a fan of Martinelli but could you point out exactly what made him 'a lot better' than all of the Liverpool youth players? His passing % was an appalling 56, he gave away a penalty, he had exactly 0 dribbles, created 1 chance and lost the ball 2 times by a combination of being stopped/bad touches on top of his atrocious passing %. He was in the right place at the right time for 2 goals and took them well though. Saka as well barely over 60% passing, created one chance, lost the ball 4 times on top of that and only successfully dribbled one time (what a mare Williams must have had for Saka to look like that!). Brewster was better at keeping the ball, worked harder and while he didn't get a goal he certainly contributed to that first one and had Mustafi not been there to tap it in for him he'd have been in the same spot Martinelli was for his 2nd (he was also fouled 4 times, but eh).

Maitland-Niles was probably the most impressive of the Arsenal 'youth' but he's also 22, so...

Liverpool's 'experienced' players were mostly dreadful. Ox and Origi had a good time but Origi was more on the back of his finishing (chances created by 2 18 year olds, and a 16 year old that he didn't bury but should have) as his decision making always leaves a lot to be desired. I was going to go into a breakdown of each goal scoring play and how the relative youth players contributed to them but we're not going to change eachother's minds here. Let's just agree to disagree about their relative performances. I'm happy with the result, are you?

9. AB13

AB13 Registered User

Martinelli has exeptional dribbling and great passing, sure his dribbles did not come off yesterday but they usually do. Passing percentage is never relevant in the slightest, all that stat really shows is how hard the passes you attempt are. Martinelli had 3 key passes which is good and actually relevant in the slightest. Elneny has a higher passing % than the likes of Özil, Pirlo and Xavi ever have had, but we all know who the better passers are. People who take risks in passing usually have low percentages, so seeing Saka and Martinelli have low completion % is not a bad thing. His pressing was great, winning the ball back and forcing mistakes. Saka and Martinelli both worked harder, had more sprints and ran more than Brewster. 1 chance created is good.

Willock was great, countless late dangerous runs into the box to open up space, and he ran the most on the pitch. Great pressing, good passing and good in the tackle. He struggled to cover the defence a bit when Emery wanted us to sit deeper, but he was overall very good. He was better than any youngster you had this game.

Saka and Martinelli where very involved in the build up to the first goal as well, and Martinellis off ball movement creates space for Willocks goal.

I find it interesting that your views are so different from mine, but then again, if you think passing percentage is a good way to judge a performance, something is strange.

OX and Origi where good, Milner was dangerous. Harvey Elliot was the only one to cause us any real problems at all exept for Williams on one occasion.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  10. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    Klopp said Martinelli is a talent of the century.

AB13 likes this.
  11. phisherman

phisherman Registered User

Who cares. Those young Arsenal players are all a part of the first team.

Those young Liverpool players probably end up like Neil Mellor.

AB13 likes this.
  12. Live in the Now

Awards:
    Yeah, we most definitely do not care. Elliott will be the only good one.

13. phisherman

phisherman Registered User

He's been hyped up as a potential superstar back when he was Fulham so I can see him being a good one.

Though I hope he ends up like how Sessegnon is right now.

14. Savant

Savant Registered User

Maybe Klopp can sign him if he wants to be the backup striker on a Champions League team next year :)

Joking. Mostly.

15. Savant

Savant Registered User

I still am not ready to throw the towel in on Brewster. First year back from injury. I’d ideally like to sign a striker in the window and loan him out, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Would be a shame if his injury ruins him.

16. Live in the Now

Awards:
    He’s definitely been ruined by the injury. His speed is gone.

17. AB13

AB13 Registered User

He probably will be the backup striker on a Champions League team next season if he stays.

18. Savant

Savant Registered User

Yeah. Only hope is next year is better. Sometimes it can be a two year injury. Either way need a striker in January to see City off

19. Savant

Savant Registered User

We will see...

iS hE nIkE sPoNsOrEd?

AB13 likes this.
  20. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    timo Werner

21. Savant

Savant Registered User

Still don’t think LFC pay for him. I don’t think they want to spend more that 25m on a backup. Who knows. We ran into that this summer though

22. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

This is something I noticed right away. His speed looks completely different. Reminds me a little of Studge post injury.

That said I think you’re being a bit cynical. Elliott looks fantastic, but Jones and Williams are both very legitimate prospects. Jones especially.

If Arsenal are playing with those players in their first team in a few years I’m very comfortable with that. Only Martinelli looks potentially very good to special IMO.

23. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    mbappe

24. Live in the Now

Awards:
    Yep. Meme'd and Nike'd into existence.

25. AB13

AB13 Registered User

Not unlikely that you will live to regret the last part. Willock and Saka most definately have that potential too, and some people might argue Guendouzi also does ( although I do not think he will be special). Saliba coming back from loan will make you uncomfortable too. Lets see what happens to Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah, and Tierney, they all probably have more potential than all Liverpool youngsters besides maybe Elliot. Our recent academy results have been the best in England, with a bunch of other key players, so just wait.