2019-20 Coaching Discussion: The Jon Cooper Watch

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by unfinishedbusiness91, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hint1k

Hint1k Registered User

What is the reason to repeat the same as last year? Why not to try the different approach?

2. Coopers Gum

Coopers Gum Extend Andrej Sustr

Lol, of losing? We are much better at that this year, you're right.

3. Hint1k

Hint1k Registered User

1) Why only 2 sides- loosing (no playoff) and winning (1st seed)? There are a lot of things in between. As much as 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th playoff seeds.
    2) Nothing wrong in losing something in the meaningless competition. Most of athletes and teams do it. All the time. On purpose. To stay fresh for the main event.

4. Coopers Gum

Dude. We are going to miss the playoffs at this pace. I dont know what's so hard to understand about that. Those numbers that you throw out are flawed, and assume every team in the league stays on the same pace, which is obviously not realistic. I'm happy to have the Bolts to go on a winning streak and have Cooper be successful. But if this roster, that tied an NHL record last year, doesnt even make the playoffs or squeaks in as the 8th seed, I'm sorry, but there's a coaching issue.

5. Hint1k

Hint1k Registered User

1) Dude, we are on the pace to make playoff. I dont know what's so hard to understand about it.

You see I wrote almost the same message you did. What is the difference? Your statement is a guess about the future with no evidence. My statement is the fact about the present time. It has supporting evidence.

2) I am not assuming anything. I am talking about the real numbers. You are making an assumption about the future and trying to blame me for something you're doing yourself. Not good dude, not good.

NatoGhost likes this.
  6. Coopers Gum

:laugh:

Ok, guy. You and one other poster are the only ones defending Cooper at this point. I told you your numbers are flawed, and you're not accepting the fact that they are. I'm going off of fact -- the fact that Cooper has been here for 8 years, at least 2 of which (could make an argument for 3), he's had the best roster in the NHL and hasn't been able to get it done. The fact that, twice off the top of my head, we have given up critical 3-2 series leads, one of which, he couldn't figure out how to adjust and get the forwards to score for 2 games in a row. The fact that we had a record setting season last year, and ZERO playoff wins. The fact that he gets outcoached in nearly every playoff series that we've ever played with him at the helm. The fact that we are a 500 team right now, when this roster has nowhere near the business of being close to that record.

You want to throw out your trumped up, ****ty numbers? I can throw out my FACTS against Cooper. Tonight was a good game, so I don't expect the doom and gloom to show up and back me up here like they would have last night, but you know I'm right. To deny any of those statements is just delusional.

7. Discipline

Discipline Registered User

Student
  8. Hoek

Hoek ❤ KyoAni

Fact: Neither missing nor making the playoffs has happened yet, regardless of "pace." Quit using that as a defense.

AlwaysSunnyInTampa likes this.
  9. Hint1k

Hint1k Registered User

Fact: We can use it for for the present time. It shows the current state of the team. We only cant use it to show the future state of the team, since future is uncertain.

The point of using is for the present time is to show that the team is not doing something wrong right now.

10. Lolaimbot

Lolaimbot Registered User

Both because of the past and because of the subpar play this year. No one is asking us to be the #1 team in the Atlantic, but sitting on playoff spot would be a bit more convincing than being "on pace" to be a bubble team. One would think that after few years on this board people should know that "pace" doesn't always work out.

Just ask Matthews

Hint1k likes this.
  11. Sky04

Sky04 Registered User

So you're saying a team with a top roster in the league that sits outside a playoff position right now is not doing anything wrong? Great facts & logic.

By your line of thinking, teams like Washington, Boston and St.louis who are the top 3 teams in the league are doing something wrong by winning too much in the regular season right now?

I mean your whole argument was predicated on St.louis's run last year, you're telling me the cup champs are going against their own winning formula by being 1st in the west? Its actually hilarious St.louis leads the west after winning the cup and debunks your whole argument about teams purposely "saving energy."

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Vasilevskiy likes this.
  12. JoVel

JoVel Registered User

Sad to see the reigning Cup champions destroy their chances of a repeat by leading their conference.

13. Sky04

Sky04 Registered User

Its almost as if they thinking securing a playoff spot early and winning games is actually a good thing, strange concept right? This guy probably thinks Montreal and Buffalo are bigger contenders than Washington and Boston.

Vasilevskiy likes this.
  14. CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash Registered User

I dont agree that they are/were saving their energy for the playoffs. I think they wanted to tinker with some new things early and that was a reason why they didnt look as good. I would have done that later than early. Strike for Cooper imo. However, I also think there were other factors. I think the team was a little bit effected by the sweep. They said in the locker room that it was still kind of a pity party for themselves early on. Probably another strike for Cooper since its his job to manage these players.

I also think that while this is the same team that won 62 games last year, other teams improved too while our roster pretty much stayed the same talent wise. Factor in that and that its the beginning of the year for all teams with fresh slates. Means teams will play harder to try to give their teams a better chance in second half. Then factor in all teams will want to beat the team that likely beat them multiple times last year and was last years top team. Extra motivation. I dont think these are excuses but more so what I think the team was dealing with. I do think we just didnt play our best too which falls on Cooper and we can certainly give him share of the blame. I just dont put it all on him. As for Cooper, he still has to prove a lot to keep this job imo. Really need to see them make the playoffs and have a good hard fought battle for the cup.

Ducati Boy and Maelmoor like this.
  15. AlwaysSunnyInTampa

AlwaysSunnyInTampa LOLZ! This friggin sucks dude!

Wouldn't you like to know
    THANK YOU!

Seriously people just let things play out and stop worrying so damn much. Watched pots and boiling and stuff like that. On the same token we have a right to worry about our performance because the sustaining of which means we won't make the playoffs.

In any case deep breaths boys

16. Hint1k

Hint1k Registered User

1) "Prioritization"? Have you ever heard about it?

2) Have they won 60+ games?

3) Have SLB won the 2nd SC?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  17. Hint1k

Hint1k Registered User

1A) I don't care about Cooper. I don't like messages that ignore logic and statistics. If you write the same kind of mesage to support Cooper, I will write the same kind of reply to fire him, by pointing out in your message on absence of proper logical connection between facts and your opinion on the subject.

1B) Since when the amount of people who support one or another point of view is the proof that they are correct? Actually, the history tells us that its pretty much always the other way around. :laugh:

2) You opinion is very important to me. I take your word over any team statistic (that routinely used by every single hockey expert) any day. :sarcasm:

3) None of these facts can prove anything about this regular season. Do you know the difference between playoff and regular season?

4) So far you have not brought any facts. Which is not surprise. You dont have any. Which is why you call statistics: "**ty" and "flawed". It does not support your opinion. :nod:

5) It is delusional if you think you are going to get any sort of reasonable answer after calling someone delusional. :popcorn:

Summary: You do understand what is wrong with your opinion, dont you? No? Well, lets have a closer look it at:

"I want to fire Cooper, because he failed in playoffs in the past and he is failing again (which I can't prove, because the team statistic is "**ty" and flawed and cant be used) this regular season (which I think is the same thing as past playoffs). While, I dont trust statistics, I trust my crystal ball (which I used to see the future) that's how I know that the team will not make playoff this year"

Is this something wrong with this summary? I think its pretty fair sum of what you saying. Well, if its wrong, then its your own fault. To avoid being misunderstood you need to present your point of view in details and provide supporting evidence of what you saying.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  18. Zwui21

Zwui21 Registered User

Another one bites the dust

19. Fabiobest

Fabiobest Italian Thunder!

Let me say that I do care about Cooper. Because, believe it or not, he's a big part of our short (till now) history.
    And a big part of our history deserves respect :)
    PS: replace him with Torts or Laviolette for example, if the season won't be positive, could be a great idea (and I'm not joking).
    Replace him with the former Lugano coach is a quite disrespectful thing to ask. IMHO.

Hint1k likes this.
  20. Discipline

Discipline Registered User

Student
    Hey go fire Cooper and get DeBoer

Todd1a and PJ817 like this.
  21. BowDownToVasilevskiy

BowDownToVasilevskiy Registered User

22. PJ817

PJ817 Registered User

I asked LeBrun :laugh:

DeBoer would be great here; maybe Cooper could coach baby sharkie poos... but JBB too weak to pull the trigger

23. Zwui21

Zwui21 Registered User

LMAO DeBoer would be fine? Oh boy...

24. Felonious Python

Felonious Python Minor League Degenerate

SJ fired a bunch of assistants as well, which is maybe more surprising given that it's mid-season.

25. Todd1a

Todd1a Kucherov or prospect

Do it I love deboer his teams always have good PK and he has taken two different teams to the cup finals the sharks and the devils!

PJ817 and Discipline like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.