GDT: 2019-20 GM#16 LA Kings vs Montreal Canadians @4:00pm 11/9/19

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Kings' started by kingsboy11, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Master Debater Sponsor

Would be great if a reporter asked anyone on the coaching staff and management as to why the organization insists on forcing Kempe to play center. He looks just as miscast as Brian Boyle was on defense.

Chazz Reinhold and Vino like this.
  2. Maynard

Maynard Registered User

My guess is they’re considering this a lost season so they’re just going to give Kempe a bunch of prime minutes and see if he can figure it out and turn into an NHL center somehow. Whole lot of yuck so far.

BringTheReign likes this.
  3. kingsholygrail

kingsholygrail None of this matters. Sponsor

My chair
    Don't we have a lack of center depth in general?

4. KINGS17

KINGS17 Smartest in the Room

If you put a carton of eggs in any of the Kings equipment, would any of them have some broken eggs by the end of the game?

Kingspiracy likes this.
  5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Master Debater Sponsor

With Carter shifting to wing, it opens up a spot. Kopitar, Amadio and Lizotte are the other centers. This team went from having center depth at one point to barely having any. Going to have to wait for the likes of Anderson-Dolan, Kupari, Turcotte, Thomas (and maybe Vilardi) to hopefully develop into top 3 NHL centers.

6. The Tikkanen

The Tikkanen Pest

Who's going to ask that question, Bathe? She asks questions as if she's a teenage girl who was allowed into the locker room.

Kingspiracy likes this.
  7. ru4reals

ru4reals Registered User

LOL you're reading into my comments a little too much. I have a feeling Blake and Robitaille actually think this team is competitive.

8. BringTheReign

BringTheReign Registered User

I mean, they've come out and said a few times that they don't. I get that everyone hates the ol' boys club hires, but you can't really argue with any of the moves Blake has made once they realized they needed to rebuild. You don't trade Muzzin for futures, only go after Ryan and Hutton to improve the glaring holes on D, and hell, even trade Nate Thompson if you secretly think you're competitive.

bland and Chazz Reinhold like this.
  9. LAKings88

LAKings88 LA 2 ANH 1 SJ 0

More players would have been traded last year if they actually had value.

Amart, Toffoli, Carter, Lewis, Kovy, even Hutton, will all be shopped.

Most will likely receive next to nothing of worth other then a slight chance to rid them off the roster.

Kings will be lucky to get another first. Maybe if Toffoli catches fire somehow.

BringTheReign likes this.
  10. kingsholygrail

kingsholygrail None of this matters. Sponsor

My chair
    You can still move those players. They need to stop asking for 1sts and even 2nds, that's all.

11. Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus #CONFUSE4HUGHES

While I generally agree re: Kempe Rosen took a stab at it this afternoon:

"Kempe is mature, a coach’s son with a good account of himself and the type of player who avoids cutting corners or losing focus. I haven’t gotten any sense that there’s an issue with Kempe’s approach or any sort of constitution. He’s struggled in defensive coverage, he’s struggled to put the puck in the net and struggled to gain footing on the power play – and that can also be said of several teammates. Maybe it’s because he’s skating for his fourth coach in four seasons, maybe that’s grasping for something. This will require updating, and I’m sure we’ll get an honest encapsulation on Kempe’s performance from McLellan this week, but the general sense I have towards the player is that they’re going to be extremely patient with him because they see him as an important bridge of experience between the old and young who plays at a position where they have little depth. Kempe’s only 23, and a young 23 at that. Apart from Anze Kopitar, other centers they used on Saturday were 23 and 21. Players like Alex Turcotte, Jaret Anderson-Dolan and Gabe Vilardi, presuming he’s healthy, will factor into their center depth, but none are older than 20. Rasmus Kupari probably projects as a wing but should still factor into the discussion. Kempe has been lifted from the power play of late but has found good success there internationally and for Ontario, and the endgame idealized is one in which he’s factoring into the man advantage in some role. Given the age imbalance – Los Angeles’ only forwards born between 1988 and 1995 are Kyle Clifford, Tyler Toffoli, Alex Iafallo and Nikolai Prokhorkin – Kempe is a very important player to develop whose gifts should theoretically align with McLellan’s desired north-south play. Even with 204 games to his name, it still feels like a longer-term focus applies, which seems to have gotten a rise out of some of the fanbase. "

Possibly but the idea we can retain on damn near everyone also pumps value

12. FrozenKing18

FrozenKing18 Goongala.

Student
    Kempe was the guy I know everyone was pretty excited about, right before I stopped frequently watching hockey. Trying to catch up on what has happened the last few seasons, watching some of his highlights, looks like the guy has the wheels and skill. After recently coming back to this board, Kempe's been the guy that everyone's been critical of. What happened to the kid? Did he just not pan out the way he was supposed to?

I'm behind on all of our prospects but was curious about Kempe.

13. tny760

tny760 Registered User

he's just like, not finishing

he's being spoon fed power play minutes with a group that spoon feeds his zone entries and it amounts to absolutely nothing every time, he loses guys in the defensive zone like its his job and he's just flat not putting the puck in the net which is something he has to do

his 2018 season was like.. nice, a kid that can provide some good middle six scoring with the potential to slot into the top 6 if he develops but he's gotten progressively worse instead. personally i think he's miscast as a center and would provide something if he was say, on kopitar's wing where he has some coverage for his lack of defensive awareness. i also think he's become pretty floaty out there, but his hungry stomach got fed and now he's chilling in a south bay mansion like everyone else right?

Raccoon Jesus and King'sPawn like this.
  14. King'sPawn

King'sPawn Enjoy the chaos

My biggest issue with Kempe is utilizing him on the #1 powerplay when there are better players to fulfill any role.

15. Bandit

Bandit Registered User Sponsor

“He’s struggling on defense, putting the puck in the net, and on the powerplay”

So... everything then. I was worried for a minute.

tny760, SettlementRichie10 and LT Dan like this.
  16. SettlementRichie10

SettlementRichie10 Registered User

"He is struggling on offense, defense, special teams, walking on two feet, and getting out of bed in the morning. We like his constitution."

17. Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus #CONFUSE4HUGHES

Also, he cut his hair because he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time and the gum...well you know.

SettlementRichie10 likes this.
  18. tny760

tny760 Registered User

here's $6M

SettlementRichie10 likes this.
  19. bland

bland Registered User

In a rebuilding year its more important to get a sense of what you have than get results.

Nobody really knows what they have in Kempe, a brand that has followed him since before his draft year. Give him every chance to fail as an impact player, so to speak, before determining that he is just a bottom sixer with occasional top six benefits.

Raccoon Jesus likes this.
  20. King'sPawn

King'sPawn Enjoy the chaos

I don't entirely disagree, but there are other players, or prospects, who could also give you a sense of what you have in the same role.