GDT: 2019-20 GM#16 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @4:30pm 11/7/19

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Kings' started by kingsboy11, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Axl Rhoadz

Axl Rhoadz Registered User

Why would you be surprised about Blake? Did anyone REALLY think the guy was qualified enough to take over as GM? I certainly didn't...never could understand why they let Lombardi go unless it was because he wouldn't fire Sutter.

2. ibleedkings

ibleedkings #ourprayer4lafreniere

I'm giving them until the trade deadline to agree with you Herb.

3. Jason Squirties

Jason Squirties Registered User

Fck you dude, saltines at least serve a purpose.

jfont and Fishhead like this.
  4. Bandit

Bandit Registered User Sponsor

Tank commander, obviously. And Iafallo hasn’t been on the top line for a bit. Not unreasonable for a new coach to see what he’s got before making changes.

5. KingsFan7824

KingsFan7824 Registered User

Home Page:
    Then all of this should've started in 2012 before Quick was handed a lifetime contract a few days after the personal peak of his career. Imagine what they could've gotten for the current 26 year old Conn Smythe winner with 1 year left on his contract.

Get a GM like DL who couldn't really draft all that well, and he'll have to give out the monster contracts, and make Hail Mary trades. That's how you get a 3 year run instead of 6+. Other than the playoffs in those 3 years, nothing else was all that impressive. It was just get in. The perfect mediocrity mindset of the hard cap era. Plus they were this close, multiple times, to being a one hit wonder. One extra bad week and they might've won nothing.

6. KingsFan7824

Home Page:
    Just don't be surprised if Carter and Quick aren't among those that are gone at the deadline. Because that's just not realistic. Toffoli, Lewis, Hutton, rip the band-aid off with Clifford, they should all be gone. The non-UFA's though? That's probably going to have to wait.

Reaper45 likes this.
  7. Bandit

The amount of complaining that we "only" won two cups is astounding. As if it happens ever in this league to be a perpetual contender and regular champion. They should change the name of this site to https://unrealisticboards.mandatory.com

8. FrozenKing18

FrozenKing18 Goongala.

Student
    The team is really missing some leadership and vets. Its amazing how it just dropped off. Over the last decade we had

Scott Thornton
    Lappy
    Handzus
    Stoll
    Greene
    Scuderi
    Williams
    Mitchell
    Richards
    Regehr

Who do we got now? Nobody.

9. Fat Elvis

Fat Elvis El Guapo

Home Page:
    Alright, here to post a positive. Carter has looked better lately. Thought he had a decent game.

That said, they need to begin offloading this mess. No one should be untouchable on this roster.

kings11 and Schmooley like this.
  10. Bandit

[​IMG]

11. KINGS17

KINGS17 Smartest in the Room

Not all of it. You can afford to have a couple of long term contracts while rebuilding, and Quick was a lynch pin of the Kings success. I think the mistake lies in not recognizing the run was over at the end of 2015 or 2016, and acting accordingly.

If you want to identify the very first poor decision, it was likely not buying out Mike Richards.

I don't think it should be all or nothing, and not re-signing Kopitar would not have meant the Kings should not have re-signed Quick at the end of 2012. The organization was in a completely different position at the end of the 2012 season than it was at the end of the 2015 or 2016 season.

12. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Master Debater Sponsor

13. Fishhead

Fishhead Registered User

Lets not forget that it's not just the GM working here. Imagine after 2015 you try to tell the owner it's time to rebuild when they have invested a lot into the roster and experienced success. Does anyone think that would fly? Looking back we saw the wheels falling off, but it's just as risky to tear it down right away as it is to try and make one more run. I doubt we ever see a NHL team sell off guys that close to a cup, it's the human effect. Anyone would want that last return on their investment.

I don't really like that they hung on for so long, but I certainly understand it, and I appreciate that they didn't let it drag on even longer (which they could have). I think it certainly could have started one draft earlier.

14. Legionnaire

Legionnaire Help On The Way Sponsor

Stop making sense.

FrozenKing18 likes this.
  15. Fifth Marauder

Fifth Marauder Steve "The hair" Harrington

Exactly. Everyone should just chill out. I didn't expect the team to be this bad but it is what it is. We have a lot of passengers on this team that need to be cut and it's nice to know we have a good youth core. At least were not the Sharks.

16. bland

bland Registered User

Its not that Quick was extended, it was the length of the deal. Lots of us argued at the time that it was borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. It was well worth sacrificing one $2 mil per player to give Quick more money and shorten the length of that deal so it wouldn't bite the ass end. An athletic goalie would never deliver on the last 3rd of that contract, and frankly the goaltending Quick has offered over the last four years - including 2016 - was easily replacable.

17. Kings man 4 life

Kings man 4 life Registered User

College Student
    I thought we were expecting a high draft pick again this year? Why the hell do we want a first round exit or a black hole spot? Lightening rarely strikes for a team to move dramatically with a lottery pick. Cup or 1 OA should be the goals, and no way in hell is LA winning a cup so Tank this ****. Dunno why y'all are freaking so upset.

18. DrewforNorris

DrewforNorris Let the rookies play.

Who cares?
    I don't know. I woke up this am and took a step back from all this. I remember how long the rebuild took when DL had the reigns. You don't just make trades for the sake of making them or because we want a Cup now. The return has to be maximized...so timing is crucial to maximize it and maybe there are no good offers at the moment so we wait until the trade deadline and if that doesn't work, then maybe we have to wait out a contract or two..... until then, we're going to have to suck it up.

Enjoy the process of watching the rebuild and new players get their feet wet and make a few rookie mistakes. It's been so long since we've had a young team so maybe we need to let the kids be kids and learn how to play in the NHL. Losses are gonna come and that's what top 10 draft picks are for. Until we get some players to drop in the line up that can really start making a difference from development in the AHL with experience we're just spinning the wheels with the same conversation and whining. Just enjoy the ride and have fun with the criticisms as they learn. Or we can keep *****ing about the same conversation over the next year. Anywho, my $.02

19. Rooks

Rooks Registered User

Seasons going according to plan in my books. A top draft pick is kind of the solution to all these problems and a losing season is how you get one. Nobodies giving away franchise players and the ones we had won their cups and aren't that anymore. At least we're finally moving forward as an organization rather than backwards since 2015.

20. KingsFan7824

Home Page:
    And I think they were all linked after their success in 2012. If they don't get the one in 2014, then maybe Kopitar and Doughty are different. Even then though, they were the core of a winner. Something the franchise had never had. Maybe they get them at a cheaper price without the 2nd Cup.

21. DryIslandBartender

DryIslandBartender KCCO

The way it was told to me was that they fired Lombardi because he wasn’t going to fire Sutter. I believe he’s said something to the effect of “you can’t have players picking your coaches.”

Lombardi was going to start shipping guys out, including a star or two to replenish the pipeline. The last interview on Coffee with Bob, says it all on how angry he was with some of the players and himself.

In addition to all that Luc made a power move suggesting he’d keep everyone and told AEG they can continue to milk the cash cow of 2012-14 cup runs. That’s why he said he thought last years team was a cup contender and signed Kovalchuk to a 3 year deal. AEG was on board with Luc and Blake and that’s what they moved forward with.

DoktorJeep likes this.
  22. KINGS17

I understand it was the length of the deal. It's highly debatable whether or not the Kings win in 2014 with or without Quick. Quick was given a cap circumventing contract to keep the cap hit down and keep him in the fold. Fine, you have to break a few eggs to make real mayonnaise. I agree, it may have been worth letting a $2M player go to give Quick a higher cap hit and a shorter contract.

The other post was essentially saying that if trading Kopitar, or Carter (after they stupidly gave Kopitar 8 years and $80M), or Doughty was the right thing to do then it should have all started with Quick. Fine, but just because a mistake was made on the length of Quick's contract, it doesn't mean you have to keep repeating the same mistake over and over again.

bland likes this.
  23. KINGS17

I understand why Dean was fired, but I agree. He was getting ready to launch some of the cup winning players into the sun. Lombardi had done the critical self-evaluation, realized his mistake, and was getting ready to correct it.

Luc doesn't have a clue and never has had a clue.

DoktorJeep and Ollie Weeks like this.
  24. DryIslandBartender

DryIslandBartender KCCO

I don’t think the cup wins were the reason their contracts were so high. How can they get the players cheaper when Luc basically announces Kopitar will get what he wants? Same with Doughty. Then you see Luc goes out and leans on his pal who represents Max Pacioretty to get a below market deal.

Then that agent gets canned for not having his clients interests.

These guys running the kings don’t know how to negotiate.

DoktorJeep likes this.
  25. DryIslandBartender

DryIslandBartender KCCO

Some of those guys being shipped out rhymes with click, frown, and barter. I don’t believe for a minute that Bishop trade was just a rental, that was the first move designed to send a message.

That got people talking.