2019-2020 Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by AlphaLackey, Jun 18, 2019.

1. DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan Your world frightens and confuses me

Then we're agreeing despite ourselves.

Hunter368 likes this.
  2. KingBogo

KingBogo Admitted Homer

There is too much talent on the roster for absolute suckage to happen. Down seasons will be on the bubble no matter how much some want them to tank.

3. probablywrongbut

probablywrongbut Registered User

If Helly gets injured we are the worst team in the league. Byfield is probably getting scared as he doesn't want to play for Mo.

4. Duke749

Duke749 Get Well Soon Bryan Little

What bad team would be better?

5. DannyGallivan

...and unless some significant upgrades are made (second line centre and defense), Up seasons will also be on the bubble.

Mortimer Snerd and angrymnky like this.
  6. probablywrongbut

a young team where there is no bromance. I am sure the Rangers, Detroit, Ottawa are willing to play their young guys. Would make Laine and Ehlers the focus of their offense as a rebuild instead of playing overplaying old man Wheeler.

7. Duke749

What does who they play have ANYTHING to do with my question other then you making excuses to whine about coaching?

Huffer and Flair Hay like this.
  8. probablywrongbut

I am not whining, I am complaining. That as a young guy, I would rather go to a team rebuilding and who will give me the opportunities. It's not rocket science. Who they play, determines whether a young player gets opportunities to play 1st line minutes or if those opportunities will go to an older player where if that older player was really good enough the team wouldn't be in the bottom in the 1st place. So ya i answered your question the first time.

9. Duke749

You think Detroit and Ottawa would be better then us?

10. probablywrongbut

At playing new talent? Yes, I don’t think the logjam is as bad.

11. Duke749

That wasn’t my question....

12. probablywrongbut

Then, what was your question? Would they be better at developing new talent? Would they be better at winning? They would not be a better team at winning. They would be better at developing by giving younger guys a chance.

13. Duke749

I think you’re wildly missing my point about your original statement saying our “Up” years will just be the bubble when we have little way of knowing how our young players will develop. There’s really no reason for me or anyone else to think this first month will be the status quo going forward long term. Plenty of people are only looking at the short term and assuming nothing will change when whether we as humans like it or not, things will change. Whether that’s good or bad is hard to know but with the youth currently on this team and all the injuries along with the Buff thing, the fact that we’re right around .500 is an achievement itself. Everyone knew we were going to have a step back this year because of lost free agents and the cap. We knew this 2 years ago. People are just angry because their expectations were way too high and now they’re disappointed.

14. DannyGallivan

The team is actually hanging in better than I expected with the rash of injuries, AHL defense and all the second line centre issues. Hellebuyck must continue to keep the Jets in games.

I looked at our issues so far this season, and essentially stated that if they aren't addressed, the Jets will remain no better than a bubble team. That opinion may be debatable, but it's backed up by current events.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Registered User

Lots to agree with in this post but that last kine doesn't ring true for me. I absolutely expected us to be a bubble team or worse this year, but I hoped we would see our best young players in the lineup and a turn towards a more adventurous, free-flowing style that would, IMO, better suit the identify of the team's skilled and creative core.

Instead, we're seeing an extension of the often disengaged, low-event, risk-averse, stifled brand of hockey of our worst periods of last year and before. I don't mind losing if we're playing well and using this "fallow year," as Whilee calls it, to actively develop our best young players and trial new systems, etc. I find it much harder to get behind period after period of dull, disconnected, dump n' chase survival hockey where we barely pass, struggle to transition, barely shoot and give up on plays all over the ice, all the while playing tired vets over our ranks of prospects and eking out the odd OT win. That';s more than a step back in my books, and contributes to the half-in/half-out feel of the season to date.

But that's all IMO. Maybe there's a cunning plan at work that I'm too dim to see, or maybe we're just so overwhelmed by contingency that treading water is the best we can do. Anyway, I'm going to do something I haven't done for a while and step away from hockey for a week or two. Hopefully the Jets can string together some terrific hockey and bank some wins, and set up for a fun 3/4 season and even a playoff run. That really would be an achievement given the luck we've had and the off-ice drama.

16. KingBogo

KingBogo Admitted Homer

You realize season after season we have been one of the youngest teams in the league. And last season 2 of the oldest teams were the ones playing in the Stanley cup finals.

17. probablywrongbut

I do reality that wheeler is on the top line over Ehlers and laine. Does that help?

18. KingBogo

KingBogo Admitted Homer

Not any more. But if you go back through the last few years few teams could match the Jets for the amount of very young players in their top 6 or in their top pairing.

19. DudeWhereIsMakar

DudeWhereIsMakar Bergevin sent me an offer sheet

Unpopular opinion: trade Blake Wheeler to the Florida Panthers for Aaron Ekblad+, then give Scheifele the captaincy.

I say that because if we do finish near-last place, then I'd hope we add Byfield as a 2C so our top six will be loaded, plus the D aren't necessarily the best, so why not add one who is already a star D, plus Ekblad knows Scheifele, and he'd make a terrific pairing for Scheifele and replacement for Buff if necessary.

20. nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant Registered User

Snag: That pesky NMC Wheeler has. This only happens if Maurice ends up coaching the Panthers. Cause you know, that whole go through a wall thing. :nod:

Personally, if I'm the new GM that decides to blow it all up in a full blown tankorama, Scheifele's the guy I'm trading for a brighter future. He has been the antithesis of leadership for going on a year now, and this is the kind of move you need to make when looking at a major culture change within an organization. I expect my unpopular opinion kicks your unpopular opinion's butt. :laugh:

21. Larabee

Larabee Registered User

Wheeler just might wave his NMC for a Florida trade. His summer home is there.

22. ps241

ps241 Registered User Sponsor

Pretty sure that summer home (principle residence) is for tax purposes. Nobody in their right mind would chose South Florida over Minnesota in June July August.

23. Deedog99

Deedog99 Registered User

You mean besides a guy with young kids. Also no ocean in Minnesota.

24. snowkiddin

snowkiddin Registered User

That damn Hellebuyck is an anti-tank weapon :shakehead

25. GeorgeJETson

GeorgeJETson #StanleyCupOrByfield

Agreed.

I just hope Chevy doesn't trade our 1st this year. Then I'll be really :ha::thumbd:

snowkiddin likes this.