Attendance

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Otto

Otto Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Home Page:
    I thought I would resurrect this thread just to let you all know that A) I'm doing fine.. tumor has now shrunk 46.8% since I began treatment in December 2017 and B) Although I'm not posting in team threads on HFBoards I am still working on attendance numbers for this season, comparing them to last season.

I'll post an official update at the end of November, but so far this season league attendance is up 3837 fans over last year and average of 99 fans per game. It's early yet.. Ottawa leads the way up 1243 fans per game and Mississauga is the worst down 372 fans per game.

Finster8, LDN, rangersblues and 25 others like this.
  2. ohloutsider

ohloutsider Registered User

Well I for one have missed your posts! I am so glad you are heading in the right direction. I wish you a speedy recovery and yes I love this thread so stay well but health and family need to be your first priority.

TcFlint, Finster8, Savard18 and 3 others like this.
  3. Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell Registered User

Congrats...hope to see lots more posts by you as the season rolls along!
    Keep on keeping on kicking cancers ass!

4. Savard18

Savard18 Registered User

This thread, Coolwood's draft pick database and the knowledgeable guys who post in the OHL future draft/draft prospects threads are sooooo nice to have on the OHL boards. Really thankful to have those around. Keep getting healthy Otto!

LDN, Uncle, ohloutsider and 1 other person like this.
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom Registered User

Welcome back Otto.

6. AttackSound

AttackSound Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth

Welcome back to the board Otto, looking forward to your insights on attendance.

Stick taps and respect all around

7. Sleemans2

Sleemans2 Registered User

Hi otto. Welcome back. This forum is better with you on it,whether it's attendance,your knights or any other topic.

Best wishes

Dave

TcFlint and SeniorJuniorFan like this.
  8. Otto

Home Page:
    Quick note about the Bulldogs... they played their first School Day game of the season yesterday with the attendance being ~5,400 it was lower by about 3,000 over their first School Day game last year.

9. stealth1

stealth1 Registered User

Was watching Ice Dog highlights against the Otters and the amount of empty seats is amazing to me. For a team that's in 5th place you would think they have a bigger turnout. Look at Niagara, they are having a bad year but still manage over 4000 fans a game

10. OttersFan

OttersFan Registered User

Erie typically has a low turnout for the first half of the season. Even with McDavid, our attendance really didn't peak until January. Friday night is high school football throughout September-November/early December if in state playoffs. A lot of our teams are in playoffs now which takes away from families with high school students.
    Saturday's are usually recreation sports (soccer at the YMCA, youth hockey tournaments, festivals).
    Sunday is NFL football with the Bills, Browns, Steelers close, if they're on TV then most people watch them rather than going out. Football is just big in the states especially around Erie. Not to mention wine tours with our grapes.

Once January comes around and teams are out of playoffs, Erie sees a spike in attendance. Plus everyone's vouchers for games tend to expire towards the end of season which brings people to the seats.

They just offered a new ticket package which doesn't benefit the season ticket holders so we might see more of a decline next season since they don't seems to care much about STH.

11. Otto

Home Page:
    My attendance numbers are done comparing the current point this season to the same number of home games last season, so the same things are taken into consideration when comparing numbers.

After 11 home games the Otters are down 1,630 fans per game this season over last season, that's 4th worst in the OHL (Windsor, Mississauga, Hamilton are the 3 teams below) They are down 148 fans per game which is 5th lowest (Add North Bay into the previous mentioned group)

Erie is 1 of only 2 teams who have seen a decline in attendance in each of the last 4 seasons. (Guelph is the other) this is not a good thing.

2014/15 Avg Attendance 4,947
    2015/16 4,481
    2016/17 4,301
    2017/18 3,700
    2018/19 2,771

They are down over 2000 fans per game in 4 years. At an average spend of $30 per person that's $2 Million in lost revenue. This should be concerning to the Otters and to the league.

12. NHL Fan00

NHL Fan00 Registered User

To be fair, in 2015 and 2016 the otters had some players by the name of McDavid, Strome, Debrincat, ect that would likely draw more fans in than the current roster

13. Otto

Home Page:
    McDavids last season was 14/15 Otters were 2nd in the conference 1st in the Division

A drop in attendance may be expected when your superstar leaves however the next season the Otters were first overall in the league with Debrincat and Strome

in 16/17, with those same two players again they were first in the league and again had a drop in attendance.

in 17/18 they missed the playoffs.. and another drop.

If the Otters are waiting for another McDavid in order to recoup that $2 million per season they are losing in revenue then it may be time to pack up shop

14. OttersFan

OttersFan Registered User

Except they just signed a 10 year lease extension to keep them here. They're dedicated to the city, of course business is important, but Jim Waters has done a fantastic job dedicating his time to Erie. Keeping them in Erie has does a ton for the city. Of course, it's important to make money, but they add to the income of the city for those who work for the arena and fans eating at local businesses before the game.

If you look at the demographics of Erie, a lot of people here struggle to put food on the table. Erie had increased ticket prices since the McDavid era. It gets expensive especially when you're a top, 50 win team 4 years in a row, something not many teams could add to their resume. Some families have to make sacrifices at that point since they invested 4 expensive years.

We will never have good 1st half attendance so to compare attendance numbers this season, is foolish. We always have low numbers even with McDavid, but I already stated that previously.

They're trying to build up the arena especially with a new retail space at the arena.

15. Otto

Home Page:
    My comment was in regards to who was playing when the Otters had higher attendance. All of what you posted is well and good, but unless they get more butts in the seats they are going to continue to lose money.

In my year by year comparison I did not compare this season to previous seasons. The annual numbers I posted with the steady decline started from last season and went back from there.

Again, the numbers I DID post from this season are a direct comparison to the same number of home games last season.

Average attendance after 11 home games
    2017/2018 = 3296
    2018/2019 = 2771
    2019/2020=2623

For the record, I don't wish the Otters to relocate. The team needs to find a way to get fans in the seats. Raising ticket prices is not the answer.

Something like discounted tickets with a donation to the food bank would be a good idea. The Otters could host a free job fair at the arena for local businesses that are hiring and give each participating business 10 free tickets .. those are a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

OttersFan likes this.
  16. Hammer9001

Hammer9001 Registered User

IT
    This seems to be a trend for a lot of markets. I know in Hamilton, attendance doesn't really pickup until after Christmas due to the Ti-Cats season still running, and then the Xmas rush. I do often wonder if the league would be better served with a shorter season.

OttersFan likes this.
  17. Otto

Home Page:
    Again, doesn't explain the year over year results when comparing the same time frame. Bulldogs being down 3,100 fans this season vs the same amount of home games last season has nothing to do with the Tiger Cats. The 3,000 fewer fans at the school day game was the big issue.

Last season was the first that the Bulldogs have seen an overall decline in attendance since they moved from Belleville. That's something the marketing team needs to get in front of.

A shorter season does nothing to help the team, if anything with fewer home dates it hurts them.

BoxerMax likes this.
  18. Otto

Home Page:
    I should add... year over year the league has had an increase of 10,978 fans this season. That's 105 per game

19. AttackSound

AttackSound Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth

I think the Ti-Cats have very little to do with the attendance in Hamilton, however more the reason why the Bulldogs are in a massive facility. If you look at rival Ottawa they too could also use the reason that the Redblacks affect attendance at TD Place for the 67's as 3 of 4 major teams use TD Place as a home facility.

What league fans have to and for the most part understand is that attendance is based strongly on success of the club and not the size of the building more then the festive season. The league will never shorten the season if they did then smaller centers would most definitely lose money and go under.

What Hamilton fans have to learn is they have to continue to support their Bulldogs and by doing so continue to voice an opinion on getting a facility that will be better suited for the market it's in.

FOC is heavily oversized for its market it's in if Hamilton could agree on a facility that the Bulldogs could move into that was better suited for their market then I believe that the fanbase would draw well in Steel City.

Typically it's well known that OHL facilities that have some of the greatest success attendance wise are one that have 3,800-9,000 with the exception to Ottawa who has around 10,000.

If Hamilton could either find a facility to that was smaller that met that attendance range or come to an agreement to build a facility more suitable to the league attendance standards. On the other hand most OHL attendance typically doesn't pick up till near December due to the simple fact that the first month and half the standings and teams are usually in the same position in both conferences with a lot of teams within a point or game of each other and usually you don't see standings separation until near the Xmas break in the league.

20. Otto

Home Page:
    There was some talk on the Spits board about attendance, so I released some data earlier than I wanted to on there for anyone that wants to have a quick look. I will post an update here at the end of November as previously discussed.

The topic of the impact the NFL has on attendance was brought up there, so I did a comparison for this seasons games on Thursday/Sunday average attendance vs. total team average attendance.

League wide attendance is up an average of 94 fans per game over the same number of home games by team last year.

Number of Thursday/Sunday games is in parenthesis

upload_2019-11-19_10-54-15.png

three dog night and ohloutsider like this.
  21. Tarantula

Tarantula Hanging around the web

This is a factor in the GTA. Used to be a big NFL guy and there was no way I was going to Jr hockey games on a Sunday then. With fantasy, pools, etc. going on, Jr Hockey isn't even a consideration for quite a few sports fans.

22. Zebra

Zebra Registered User

Isn't attendance down for all sporting events?
    I have read that NFL attendance is down, NASCAR attendance is down and MLB is suffering as well.
    I have also read that several NHL teams are no longer having sell out games-
    People just don't seem to be venturing out to attend these events.

three dog night likes this.
  23. Otto

Home Page:
    Except.. as I said.. the OHL is up 94 fans per game this year over last year

24. Helvigster

Helvigster Registered User

94 isn't a big number though

25. Otto

Home Page:
    Considering they have lost fans in each of the last 3 seasons and they haven't seen an increase this high since 2012/13 .. I would say it's an excellent number

BoxerMax likes this.