Attendance

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Nov 25, 2018.

1. BoxerMax

BoxerMax Registered User

That is really interesting. I can't wait to see the same numbers after the NFL season is over.

2. youngblood10

youngblood10 Registered User

Thanks for collecting all the numbers Otto.
    This post made me curious as to where the league's attendance is now in comparison to historical high water marks. & is there a trend of a few down years then a spike if you have these numbers already available. It would be interesting to see the relationship with the economy or even just general patterns (new buildings etc..)

3. Otto

Otto Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Home Page:
    I only went back as far as 08/09 as I was looking to do a 10 year comparison. Please note.. all of the seasons below are full seasons except 19/20 which is up to date as of last nights games

Season Avg

08/09 4073
    09/10 4017
    10/11 4017
    11/12 3910
    12/13 4021
    13/14 4038
    14/15 4091
    15/16 4156
    16/17 4096
    17/18 4059
    18/19 3944
    19/20* 3737

Average attendance at this point last season was 3621 . .so you can see that it climbed by over 300 fans per game by the end of the year.

youngblood10 and ohloutsider like this.
  4. Sec108

Sec108 Registered User

Every city is diff in terms of what the fan expects to see when paying to see an OHL game.

In Windsor there is a direct relationship to when the softer game was introduced to declining attendance.

A lot of folks I talk to about Spits hockey bring up about this change in the game as to why they don't bother attending anymore.In Windsor's case it is a big factor.

windsor7 likes this.
  5. Otto

Home Page:
    As promised, here is the comparative attendance as of yesterdays games. Each team is compared to the same number of home games last season.

Overall league attendance is up by 98 fans per game this season over last season. 8 of the 20 teams are showing an improvement over last year, however only 4 teams are showing a greater average attendance over their total season attendance last year, which goes to show the difference the second half of the season makes. Another 6 teams are down under 100 fans per game, and really all but London could make that up in just one game.

Mississauga, Windsor and North Bay present the biggest concerns.

upload_2019-12-2_7-44-52.png

ohloutsider and Sec108 like this.
  6. Sec108

Sec108 Registered User

Also some of the numbers are fudged, esp in Windsor's case the past few yrs. This season has been most honest in about 3 or 4.

7. Otto

Home Page:
    Going into last weekends games the OHL was up 84 fans per game. Now they are up 71 fans per game.

When going head to head vs. the NFL only 4 teams are showing an increase in attendance vs. days when there is no NFL football. Guelph (3 games +69), Oshawa (9 games +41), Owen Sound (1 game +132), and Peterborough (7 games +10). The biggest difference by a large margin is Flint (2 games -1,165). The league is down 132 fans per game vs overall average attendance when playing head to head vs. the NFL

Fun fact... looking at last years numbers at this point in the season, 2 teams had a lower average attendance at the end of the season vs. the same point in the 18/19 season. London was averaging 9,020 and finished with 8,997 and North Bay was at 2,376 and finished with 2,350.

upload_2019-12-10_7-15-6.png

ohloutsider likes this.
  8. Otto

Home Page:
    With the Christmas Break coming up I'll post the next update after this weekend.

Of note, last year at the Christmas break the OHL was down an average of 150 fans per game vs. the same point last season. At the end of the season they were down only 116 fans per game. As of last update the league was up 71 fans per game over last season.

three dog night likes this.
  9. Otto

Home Page:
    The unofficial halfway point of the season. League attendance is up by 40 fans per game over last year. At the same point last season the league attendance was down by 150 fans per game over 2017

upload_2019-12-27_14-42-45.png

ohloutsider likes this.
  10. ohloutsider

ohloutsider Registered User

Mississauga , Erie, Windsor and North Bay show concerning numbers with these teams likely not going to go on a big upturn after the new year. Windsor/Erie might a bit if they get into a winning streak but the odds of this are low.

11. AttackSound

AttackSound Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth

Lets be honest attendance numbers are more based upon team's success during the monthly marks of the season.

October to November, November to the December holiday freeze, Holiday Freeze to Trade-deadline, Trade-deadline to Regular season-end, this is more shown by where teams sit as they approach the trade-deadline though as teams on the bubble typically affect attendance by trading away top guys for assets and those top teams to load-up for deep post-season runs and how each team's schedule looks like as they reach the end of the regular season before post-season positioning.

Usually teams that sit in the top half of the conference will have increases in their attendance numbers as the regular season ends and those in the bottom will decrease. This has been proven time and time again in the more distant located teams in the league when they "Sell-off" top guys at the trade-deadline although every team can at one point in time say that "winning solves a lot of problems" attendance wise and "struggling teams" can result in create a lot of questions for teams on which direction they go.

Owen Sound is a good example of this as attendance numbers are consistently steady for big stretches of the season when they're winning and thinned numbers when struggling. I'd find it hard to see other markets not share the a similar ups and downs during the season. The other factor that plays a big part into attendance is rivalries although mainly a obvious factor into attendance playing a divisional or conference opponent you'll see an increase in attendance versus an non-divisional opponent where that gets interesting is those teams who play more then 2 cross-over games a year with opponents as a number of teams like Owen Sound, Barrie, Niagara, Erie, North Bay, Sudbury and Soo all play a number of cross-overs tilts throughout the season and have created some very passionate fan rivalries over the years.

three dog night likes this.
  12. Otto

Home Page:
    I stopped reading here.... last season only 2 of the 20 teams finished the season with a lower average attendance at the end of the season than what they had mid-December. Granted that is only a one year comparison. I'm not about to go back over the last 15 years to see the trend but since you said that "its been proven time and time again " I'll assume you have the data and I look forward to you posting it.

Also... Kingston is having a dismal season and is showing an increase in attendance conversely Windsor is challenging for the conference title and is near the bottom... so it's not as cut and dry as creating a winner

13. leafs4life94

leafs4life94 Registered User

I agree with everything you've said - but I did want to add some justification for the Fronts - for as garbage as Kingston is, they're a lot better than last year, and as well they have Wright as a new attraction so I'm not surprised their attendance jumped up.

It was so bad last year they stopped doing 50/50 because there wasn't enough people to make it worth it.

14. Otto

Home Page:
    After yesterdays games. The holidays saw a rebound in attendance numbers. The league as a whole is now up 54 fans per game over the same number of games last year vs. the 40 games the league was up at the Christmas break. I don't see any of the teams that are currently below last years numbers rebounding and posting a positive increase by seasons end.. the deficits are just too much.

upload_2020-1-6_8-42-5.png

three dog night and ohloutsider like this.
  15. ohloutsider

If Windsor keeps winning their numbers will go up but as you suggested it will be tough to make up those numbers.

16. Otto

Home Page:
    Unfortunately Windsor would have to average 4,558 fans over the remaining 16 home games . .they have only reached that number 3 times this season.

London would need to average 9,044 over their last 16 games .. capacity is only 9,036 :laugh:

In fact, if London were to sell out all of their remaining games it would only increase their average attendance by 38 fans

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    ohloutsider likes this.
  17. ohloutsider

Well London plays in Windsor 2 more times so if more London fans make the trip it would really help out with the Windsor numbers. :):thumbu: