(Basketball) NCAA discriminating against (specific) agent?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Sports' started by LadyStanley, Aug 7, 2019.

1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley Registered User

NCAA's 'Rich Paul Rule' shows its contempt for basketball players

NCAA requiring that players speak with a "NCAA certified agent" before determining whether to return to college or go pro. Qualifications required for certification include: 7 years of address history, test/interview, NBA agent certification and bachelor's degree

LeBron says that his agent Rich Paul is being discriminated against and he doesn't "need" a degree to do his job well.

Definitely sounds ill conceived.

2. Voight

Voight #winning

I think its getting blown up a little too much.

I'm not surprised they did this tho, LeBron has been an outspoken critic of the NCAA, especially the last couple years, he's even made documentary's about paying the players and treating them better. We all know the NCAA hates getting criticized.

He can still rep the player if they decide to turn pro. Yea he can't advise them if they are on the fence about turning pro but its not like that's going to make him a lot of money anyways.

This will screw guys who have their dads/brothers/friends etc as agents/advisers. Some may not have all of those qualifications.

What gets me tho is there are former players who are now agents.... some of whom never finished their degree. NCAA is really going to block out those guys as well? :facepalm:

3. LeHab

LeHab Registered User

NCAA apparently released a statement on twitter regarding these new rules but seems to be gone now. Here is what it contained:

NCAA Releases Statement Drawing Criticism For Rich Paul Rule

If NBPA also requires a degree how come Rich Paul is certified? Some sort of grandfathering?

4. Voight

Voight #winning

Do they require a degree tho? Cause Paul's been a certified agent for 7 years now, so that must be recent.

NHLPA doesn't a require a degree IIRC, you just have to pass all the tests. Its how guys like Orr have become agents after their playing careers. Requiring a degree isn't a bad idea, but if I have one in history for example, how exactly does that help my client or my practice? Former players often do not have one either and they typically do OK.

5. LadyStanley

OP ed.

Seems like many have a dog, or want to in this fight

6. Voight

Voight #winning

7. LadyStanley

Updated rules (from CBS story linked above)
    3 years of certification is legitimate, as is the liability insurance (which can be expensive).

8. HisIceness

HisIceness Me when I watch Jerks play Hockey

It's getting to the point where I feel like LeBron and his pals rule all aspects of Basketball, not just the NBA, and all basketball-related decisions go through him and his entourage. He's taken some of the fun out of the sport for me.

Voight and DaveG like this.
  9. LeHab

LeHab Registered User

Turns out NCAA has dropped degree requirement however for NBPA this is what I found with a quick google:

"To be eligible for certification, the applicant must have received a degree from an accredited four year college or university, provided that the NBPA, in its unreviewable discretion, may accept relevant negotiating experience to substitute for any year(s) of formal education. "

Becoming An Agent - National Basketball Players Association

Substitution is possible although there is no guidance on what "relevant negotiation experience" is - at NBPA discretion. For existing agents such as Paul without a degree obviously past experience was not an issue.

10. Voight

Voight #winning

NCAA was the one facet where I thought he wouldn't be able to have any control, since he never went to college. :facepalm:

Well Paul interned/worked with CAA, Brons old agency for 7 or 8 years so thats the relevant experience they probably needed. Helped that he worked under LBJ's old agent, Leon Rose, who's one of the more notable agents.

Plus let's not forget that CP3 (one of LeBrons closest friends) is the NBAPA president and James used to be the VP. I'm not trying to throw conspiracy theories out here but it wouldn't be crazy to suggest they helped him speed up the application process.

HisIceness likes this.
  11. HisIceness

HisIceness Me when I watch Jerks play Hockey

Just wait until LeBron gets his hands on pickup basketball. We're all gonna have to sign a contract and pay an agent (likely his bud Rich Paul) just to even play the sport

:sarcasm:

Voight likes this.