Being Dougie Hamilton - I think I figured it out

Rating:
4.5/5,
  1. My Special Purpose

My Special Purpose Registered User

I know the series is over. I know we won, and the next series is coming up tonight, and this is mostly irrelevant now. But *something* happened on this play and it's been bugging me not understanding exactly what it was. Dougie Hamilton has his weaknesses, but he's not a quitter. And Rod Brind'Amour wouldn't accept what has been portrayed as happening on this play. Something about this was not ringing true for me.

So I tried to put myself in Dougie's position and go through the video frame-by-frame to see if I could figure it out, and I'm pretty sure I've got it. Please keep in mind here that my intent is not to exonerate Dougie and it's definitely not to blame someone else for a goal. My intent is just to clear up the thought process that went into a play that *looked* like a player didn't give 100 percent and clearly had an effect on him the rest of the series.

In the end, I think Dougie simply misjudged the puck location, and all of his actions that follow make perfect sense.

1. Dougie, skating back hard, takes a look and assesses the situation. He sees there's no icing. He sees Ovechkin. He sees the ref. The puck is headed to the corner.

View attachment 221383

2. Ovechkin picks up speed and turns toward Dougie. Dougie determines that Ovechkin is trying to get an angle on him for a legal hit, so he glides slightly to the outside in response. The puck is right in the middle of the no-play zone.

View attachment 221385

3. Ovechkin bears down on Dougie. Dougie angles into Ovechkin and prepares for contact. The puck bounces into the trapezoid.

View attachment 221387

4. Ovechkin realizes that Dougie misplayed the location of the puck, and the battle won't be in the no-play zone, where Dougie is. He decides not to hit Dougie.

View attachment 221389

5. Dougie is fully prepared for contact -- knees bent, shoulder down, body tight -- but Ovechkin has turned his attention to the puck since it's not where either of them thought it would be when the play started. No point having a puck battle when the puck's not there.

View attachment 221391

6. Ovechkin gets to the puck first and Dougie now has to try to make a play, having lost all momentum preparing for a hit that never happened.

View attachment 221393

7. Ovechkin ducks Dougie's weak hit attempt and turns away from the net. At this point, it's important to note that even though Dougie has made a bad play, the Canes are still not in any danger here. The puck is behind the net, and we have three guys back. Unfortunately, all three of them are looking at Ovechkin, when ...

View attachment 221395

8. Connolly comes off the bench flying into the play. All *four* Hurricanes in the frame are *still* watching Ovechkin and nobody has noticed Connolly.

View attachment 221397

9. Ovechkin makes the pass. Still, no Hurricanes player has identified Connolly. Nonetheless, Slavin appears to be in perfect position to make a play on the puck.

View attachment 221399

10. The puck somehow eludes Slavin's stick and Teravainen takes a weird angle with his stick, leaving Connolly free to get off a shot.

View attachment 221401

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Razputyn and Surrounded By Ahos like this.
  2. Navin R Slavin

Navin R Slavin The Artist Formerly Known as Hank Sponsor

3. Azor Aho

Azor Aho The Jerk That Was Promised Sponsor

TLDR, mistakes were made, a goal was scored. Usually how that works.

4. My Special Purpose

C'mon man. It's mostly pictures. And you know this goal was bigger than that.

5. Incubajerks

Incubajerks Registered User

Full time jerk
    Inexcusable play by Dougie here, at least be ready when you spin away... and he wasn't.

Tryamw likes this.
  6. Navin R Slavin

Navin R Slavin The Artist Formerly Known as Hank Sponsor

I love when people describe mistakes by literally the best players in the world, playing against literally the best players in the world, as "inexcusable".

Go easy there, coach.

7. My Special Purpose

On top of that, I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

Tryamw and SlavinAway like this.
  8. Incubajerks

Full time jerk
    well i'm not a coach, but probably then all the other players who take a hit to make a play are doing it wrong?

Tryamw and CanesFanBudMan like this.
  9. CanesFanBudMan

CanesFanBudMan Borg member Sponsor

Inexcusable if he was shying away from the hit. Very bad play if he lost track of the puck. That being said - overall Dougie had a good series

10. Azor Aho

I'm just messing with you as usual. I don't know if it's worth the Zapruder film breakdown, but it was a good analysis. It really did boil down to several guys made mistakes and it ended up in the back of the net though. Dougie's had the worst optics, but several guys got Ovi focused as you point out.

It is also possible that while he checked and knew in his head it wasn't icing, it just threw him off enough to make all the exact wrong decisions. It was a weird play, and not the type of mistake from being aggressive we usually see from him. Hopefully it was just a one off.

11. Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane Lion Reaves

That was the type of play, on that stage, that builds a reputation and can follow a player around throughout their career. Fans, broadcasters, scouts and managers saw Hamilton make one of the softest plays of all-time and applicable to fans at least, think of him differently because of it. If it wasn't soft, and Hamilton deserves the benefit of the doubt, there should be pushback.

This is playoff board worthy, imo.

12. jiboy

jiboy Get lucky

Good analysis the thing is he looks like a coward because he was probably very nervous about being hit when a couple feets away from the boards thus misplaying the puck big time.

Hinterland, DaveG and Tryamw like this.
  13. RodTheBawd

RodTheBawd Registered User

What am I missing here? Why/how did Dougie misplay the location of the puck? Are we assuming he thought it defied all laws of physics and was stopped dead? Don't get me wrong, I refuse to believe he straight up gave up out of fear of Ovi coming, but I'm still mystified. Still surprised no one has asked me what the **** happened.

Tryamw likes this.
  14. WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew Registered User

I think that analysis pretty well shows that play for what it was...his mistake was most obvious, but 2 other guys also massively misplayed it and the goalie didn't stop it, it was an all-around breakdown that resulted in a goal. Especially if he was exhausted and initially thought it was going to be icing (I can't remember why they said it wasn't), that puts you a step behind right from the beginning of that play. Everyone makes mistakes, even the OVs, Kuchs, Crosbys, etc...overall, even with his gaffs in that series he's been a big part of our late season push. They got out-thought by one of the best offensive players in the league. It seemed that OV just somehow KNEW every time what Dougie (and Slavin to an extent) was going to do and beat him/them on multiple occasions throughout that series. I get in the moment it was devastating, but not sure why some seem so focused on that particular gaff...Washington made us look like idiots for plenty of moments like that throughout the season, they just create plays out of nowhere sometimes

EDIT: Also, if he was "shying away from contact", i don't think that makes him a coward necessarily...Washington had no intention of throwing clean body checks, but were throwing high hits, charging, and boarding all series, I can understand if a bit of subconscious self-preservation came into play for a fraction of a second

cptjeff, Tryamw and MinJerkBen like this.
  15. Incubajerks

Full time jerk
    I had a very strong feeling, seen live and from the following videos, that Dougie was really scared.

Tryamw likes this.
  16. CanesInducedComa

CanesInducedComa go sports

It's not the same sport, and even though it's the playoffs, it's not really the same type of high stakes game that I'm about to make a comparison to... but this play sort of reminds me of Cam Newton refusing to dive into the pile to recover a fumble in the Super Bowl a few years ago. Just a WTF play that like you said can follow a player around for a career. Luckily for Dougie he's not nearly as polarizing as Newton and it didn't happen in the Stanley Cup finals. He still has time to redeem himself these playoffs.

Tryamw likes this.
  17. CanesFanBudMan

CanesFanBudMan Borg member Sponsor

If he lets up out of fear you at least would try to get inside position on Ovi.. Seems like a lazy play to me rather than a scared one.

Tryamw likes this.
  18. My Special Purpose

Again, it's a bad play by Dougie. There's no way around it. Like I said, I'm not trying to exonerate him here. You've got to process a lot of things to play defense in the NHL and he didn't do a good job.

But I believe he got overly focused on the inevitable Ovechkin hit and he lost focus on the puck. If you look at the frame-by-frame, he does everything right *if* the puck stays in the no-play zone. But he spent so much time thinking about Ovechkin, that he lost track of the puck. Again, it's a bad play by Dougie, but he did *not* shy away from contact. As a matter of fact, he spent two full seconds *bracing* for contact. He just lost the puck and braced himself in the wrong spot.

19. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

Great analysis, though I have a somewhat different take on what was likely going through his head there.

Canes defensemen are very good when an opponent is outnumbered in a 2-on-1 isolation. We routinely see one guy neutralize an opponent while the other slips away with the puck. Hamilton spent a good chunk of that play scanning the ice to figure out where everyone was, including his trailing partner. 99% percent of the time, the correct play there is to win the race and shrug off contact to get the puck around the boards. But Ovie is a huge hitter and a fast skater with good hands... he's one of maybe 3 or 4 guys who require their own special tactics.

Hamilton is aware of that and you can see him weighing his options. His next move shows you that he chose to play this as a 2-on-1 against Ovie, with Slavin supporting.

[​IMG]

I believe Hamilton's plan here was, rather than get smashed off the puck and leave Ovie running loose behind the net, to pin him to the boards and wait on Slavin to take the loose puck. His hesitation allowed Ovie exactly enough time to get to the puck, and then close the gap. You can see his eyes here, he's clearly aware of how the play is developing. The hot takes that he was noncommittal are simply wrong.

[​IMG]

Immediately he went to drive him into the boards -- on the stick side, where he could neutralize the puck. To me, this is the image that clearly reveals his intent to lock Ovie up along the boards. And a second later, Slavin would have been right there to pull it out and be on his merry way with Teravainen in support.

[​IMG]

The only problem is, Ovie pulled the puck back to the outside at the last second and Hamilton's momentum carried him past the play. This is what breaks the play apart. Hamilton's on the puck, but not quite fast enough or strong enough to contain an opponent of this caliber.

We're talking literally a quarter of a second too late... it's just enough for Ovechkin to pop free cleanly instead of being jammed.

[​IMG]

That's when Slavin hit the brakes and got tunnel-vision on Ovie, having to shift his defensive paradigm in an instant. And then it all falls apart.

20. Lempo

Lempo hose style Sponsor

*tirsk*

21. Azor Aho

I'd rather have Hamilton the pig out there. Not nearly so soff. Dougie soft museum boy. Mullet.

Navin R Slavin likes this.
  22. My Special Purpose

This is where your version breaks down. There's simply *no way* Hamilton went into this thinking he *wasn't* going to get hit. Ovechkin has been going out of his way in this series to hit *everything*. There's simply no way Hamilton thought Ovie would play the puck.

On top of that, Hamilton is nowhere near the puck and he's virtually stopped. If his plan was to goad Ovechkin into getting to the puck first (a ridiculous notion), then pinning him, he would have been *much* more aware of the location of the puck, and he would have had some momentum going into the hit. Plus, Hamilton *clearly* braces for a hit. If his plan was to pin Ovechkin after giving up the puck, he wouldn't have done this.

I'm not going to go back and forth on this because I've made my position pretty clear and I think the evidence supports it 100 percent. But any analysis that is based on Ovechkin playing the puck and *not* taking a run at a Hurricanes d-man is clearly off-base. Ovie had *every* intention of hitting Hamilton until he realized that Hamilton was so far away from the puck, that he could just take it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Tryamw likes this.
  23. the halleJOKEL

the halleJOKEL strong as brickwall

Home Page:
    the dougie is afraid takes have been dumb from the beginning

24. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

I just don't see where you're getting the idea that Hamilton wasn't aware of the location of the puck. Here he is, looking directly at it less than a second before Ovechkin got to it.

[​IMG]

How much more aware could he have been?

As for the hit -- if Ovie ran him while he was 10 feet from the puck, it would have been a completely un-missable interference penalty. Until Hamilton closed on the puck he wasn't eligible to be hit, and he chose to hang back for a reason that I think pretty clearly aligns with intent to put the body on a guy as he goes into the boards. The fact that he did it awkwardly and slightly late is Hamilton being Hamilton and not Slavin.

SaskCanesFan and Unsustainable like this.
  25. Hinterland

Hinterland Registered User

I totally agree. Hamilton isn't a quitter...I think he has mental issues. His ability to concentrate isn't good at all and that's what makes him look so bad. His positioning against the puck is also bad and he gets caught out of position on a regular basis. Not the first time this happened. On top of that, Ovi was in his head and that surely didn't help.

Luckily it took Washington four games to figure him out but good on Hamilton for his damage control in game 7. He was bad in games 5-7 but was only -1 in game 7. One more costly mistakes and the Canes would be on holidays now.