C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by RedWingsAllTheWay, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Chainshot

Chainshot Give 'em Enough Rope Sponsor

Herding Cats
    Awards:
    I know it is under three different regimes, but I'm more on the cautious end of where he starts after seeing the Sabres repeatedly rush players. Under Regier, they rushed both Grigorenko and Girgensons, then Ristolainen and Zadorov. Of the four, one has hit his draft potential. Then Murray tried to rush Reinhart along, even when it was clear he wasn't ready in his D+1 season. Kowtowing to Nylander's handlers to put him in the AHL looks like another rush move by Murray that didn't pay dividends. There is even a case that Ullmark, coming off his double hip surgery, shouldn't have gotten the reps he did in '15-16. And then Botterill left Thompson and Mittelstadt twist this year when it was pretty clear they needed more time on the farm after stumbling out of camp.

They keep not hitting potential on kids who are put in early. If Cozens makes it out of camp, awesome, but I'm trepidatious about it given the history of the team. They so need this kid to hit his peak and missing the physical training time is going to possibly put him behind schedule due to his thumb. The last thing they need is to have him in games where he is overwhelmed in physical confrontations and gets into bad habits.

2. NuxFan09

NuxFan09 Registered User

I agree with this. I feel like the Sabres need to figure themselves out as a team and figure out how to move forward, instead of just relying on a constant influx of young talent to do that. They have a lot of talent on the roster as it is so they should let Cozens simmer in the WHL while they figure out how to build a good foundation for him when he eventually is ready.

3. Gabrielor

Gabrielor HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Exactly this. Cozens should be starting in the WHL. I don't even want a 9 game preview. In the brief showing at dev camp before he got hurt, several guys looked better than him, and of those, 2 specifically (Thompson, Ruotsalainen) don't even have guaranteed spots.

I'm not even saying 'slow cook' him. Let him take the normal progression path of 95% of prospects. Cody Glass just played 2 post-draft seasons in the CHL, and looks like one of the best prospects in the league.

NuxFan09, Dominance and deflowd like this.
  4. NuxFan09

NuxFan09 Registered User

Yep, Glass is going to be no worse for wear having played 2 seasons in the WHL post-draft. Obviously there are no guarantees, but that's my inclination.

Chainshot likes this.
  5. Hetfield

Hetfield Game Changer

Not that I disagree with sending him down, but hadn't he like, not skated for a while or something before the camp?

6. tsujimoto74

tsujimoto74 Moderator

Hadn't skated since his season ended. He was definitely shaking off some rust.

Hetfield likes this.