C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by 3 Minute Minor, Nov 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maplebeasts

Maplebeasts I See Demons!!!!!

I wish they both had 20 pounds more each and a few more inches in height, they are both extremely talented players. Quinton's actually one of my favorite prospects in next year's draft.

2. Passchendaele

Passchendaele Registered User

What are the odds he's picked in the later rounds by London and shows up next year?

3. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

He'll get drafted at the latest in the 2nd by someone. London and Windsor aren't able to pull that technique as much anymore.

4. Colts

Colts The Suzuki Show

5. GangGreen

GangGreen Registered User

Sure hope this is the case. The more of these guys in the CHL, the better. (For us selfishly anyway)
    I know it's looking unlikely with McBain now, but could you imagine a core of McBain, Hughes, Niznihkov and Svechnikov in Barrie next season? :amazed:

6. GetThePuckOuttaHere*

GetThePuckOuttaHere* Registered User

That would be ridiculous. What other team in recent memory would come close in terms of talent, outside of the 2015-16 Knights?

As for elite talent filling the CHL, I had an idea recently. With all the stuff going on with the CHL financial records, the players wanting more money, etc, why don't both parties come together to create a system where contracts stay the way they are now, with significant performance bonuses able to be offered? This way, national and international talent from the entire world, confident in their own ability, would be drawn to the financial opportunity. This would increase the talent level in the CHL, therefore leading to more entertaining games, therefore drawing larger crowds, therefore making more money for the clubs, while also enhancing the development of players by pitting the best against the best. I don't know how it would work out, but it would be interesting to see what effects the change would cause.

7. Colts

Colts The Suzuki Show

Would be pretty insane :amazed:

8. IHaveNoCreativity

IHaveNoCreativity Registered User

Currently Unemployed...
    So he will be Canadian ? Is his brother American ?

9. GetThePuckOuttaHere*

GetThePuckOuttaHere* Registered User

We're hoping that he commits to his Canadian eligibility, and for a long time I didn't think there was ever a doubt he would not make that choice, for numerous reasons most of which you can probably find in this thread.

As for his brother, Quinton committed to the USNTDP last year and is playing for that program currently.

10. coolwood

coolwood Registered User

Maybe he just hasn't decided yet and the OHL still gives him the option of pursuing both. USNTDP kind of locks in the decision

11. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

#3 OV Bowen Turcotte
    he will be attending the USNDP tryout camp this coming week...pretty good indication that he wants to represent the US moving forward. If he had zero intention of representing the US he would not be coming to this camp.

12. TheBeastCoast

TheBeastCoast Registered User

I think trying to say which country he will represent on either side involves looking into things to much or reaching to come to the conclusion you want. I don't see anywhere where he has commented on it and him going to USNDP doesn't lock him into playing for the states just like him deciding to play in the OHL doesn't lock him into playing for Canada. Should probably wait for him to say what he wants to do instead of just saying what you think(hope) he will.

13. AmericanDream

#3 OV Bowen Turcotte
    playing for the USNDP pretty much locks him in as they play in a number of IIHF sanctioned events. if he goes the USNDP, he will be representing the US period. that's not reaching, that's a fact. all I stated was he will be going to the tryouts which if I remember correctly, Foote and Chychrun did not go to...that means he has a solid intention of representing the US or he simply wouldn't go.

14. TheBeastCoast

But as I posted yesterday it came out that he is still leaning towards going OHL...So basically nobody knows what he wants to do. You can act like it's a fact till you are blue in the face it doesn't make it true though.

15. AmericanDream

#3 OV Bowen Turcotte
    I don't recall saying it is a fact he goes and plays for the USNDP. Again, if he plans on attending this camp it means 2 things -

1. he is seriously considering playing for the USNDP next year. He would not waste his time or the USNDP roster spot if otherwise. his brother plays for the program and he obviously sees this as a desired spot for him.

2. you only go this route if your intention is to represent the US moving forward. Michael Campoli came to camp, and picked the USNDP despite having very little to do with the US youth program. It is what it is. I am sorry if me saying him coming to this camp has a strong showing of what his intentions are moving forward as names like Foote and Chychrun did not show up because they had no intention of representing the US at that time.

if Hughes goes to the OHL it is a 50-50 shot for what he picks obviously, but if he goes USNDP it is 100% what side he plays for internationally. nothing more than that.

16. TheBeastCoast

Fair enough I might have been misinterpreting what you were saying then.

17. VictorLustig

VictorLustig Registered User

A number of IIHF sanctioned events? The only IIHF sanctioned event the USNDP takes part of is the U18 WC.

18. Juxtaposer

Juxtaposer Outro: Divina Comedia

That's what I thought too. I'm pretty sure the U17 tourney isn't binding. Hughes could technically play his U17 year with the NTDP not play the U18 (assuming he was good enough to be considered), and jump to the OHL with zero impact on his citizenship status.

19. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

I've heard talks that is Elite prospects page is wrong in multiple ways. Making some of the debate here pointless.

As for where he'll end up, if he's trying to dictate his location in the OHL, it is in his interest to make the USNTDP threat seem real.

20. OSA

OSA Registered User

In terms of pragmatism, he should have been granted EP status (if he applied). It would have removed the USNTDP as an option and enriched the OHL talent-wise. Now, predictably, its a toss up if he plays in the OHL.

21. TheBeastCoast

He didn't apply so there is really no point in the discussion anyways because they aren't going to give EP to a player that doesn't ask for it lol

22. OSA

OSA Registered User

23. Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich AV AND GORTON OUT

Student
    Can someone who's watched him play tell me how good he is? McDavid good? More on the Eichel or Matthews level? More on the Patrick level?

24. Jamesbay

Jamesbay Registered User

All those guys you are giving are big centres and not comparable. Hughes is really small, I'd be surprised if he was any taller than 5'9". That's going to hurt his NHL effectiveness despite his skill.

25. Newfoundland

Newfoundland Registered User

He still has some, not much time to grow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.