Canadian Soccer Part II

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Halladay, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Registered User

Not for February games which there's none of them I think but for sure in late October and November in Regina or Winnipeg it would be fine. Our players should have no problems with the weather, if they have they are not worth much. It's in games where we are underdogs that cold weather and hostile fans can be a great equalizer.

No more BC games that's a for sure.

2. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    I'm saying even if the weather was a non factor the support in Toronto will be the best. The south end support is far and away better when they play there.

3. Pouchkine

Yeah for friendlies and a game vs. the United States. But WC qualifying games against Mexico or Costa Rica could and should be played elsewhere.

4. Weissy Baby

Weissy Baby Registered User

Its true that Toronto would give the CMNT the best support and atmosphere. However if you're playing Mexico you're playing players who are used to far bigger and louder stadiums than BMO. The Azteca, and their club teams in Europe and Liga MX provide much more intense atmosphere's so playing in a half full 30,000 seat stadium in Toronto is not going to phase them. Playing in the extreme cold which really doesn't happen a lot in football if you think about it would make Mexico and the other top Central American clubs much more uncomfortable and should provide a greater benefit to Canada. Plus I doubt half the stadium would be Mexican fans which I would suspect would be a real possibility at BMO or BC Place

Pouchkine likes this.
  5. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    I think you are over playing the effect the cold would have. Sure it would maybe be slightly nicer for us but it's not like our players spend their time training in the Canadian cold. They are also used to comfortable playing temperature and locations. BMO just makes the most sense in all of these regards.

Pouchkine likes this.
  6. Pouchkine

You are right for the cold aspect but there's a real danger of 50% away fans if a big game vs. Mexico is played in Toronto.

Anyway I forgot that Regina and all those places don't have real grass so that rules them out for me. Can't stand games on those surfaces.

robertmac43 likes this.
  7. Weissy Baby

Weissy Baby Registered User

Maybe I am over playing the cold, artificial turf, and lack of invading opposition fans in playing in a prairie city in November or March. I don't think its likely matches are played there in the hex, but I think we could both agree that we want Canada to have the best advantage possible and make it to the World Cup. Go Canada!

sabremike, Pouchkine and robertmac43 like this.