Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Shaw65, Jun 24, 2017.

1. nhlfan9191

nhlfan9191 Registered User

Lindgren’s finished here. You look at his age and contract which he still hasn’t made the team on a one way and garbage backup situation on our team two years in a row and the writing is on the wall. He’s using up a roster spot at this place.

2. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

i don't think you understood the way i'm suggesting using him in the NHL: only if theres an in game injury to Price. Otherwise, when we're planning on using a back up, we call up Primeau in advance. But we don't make Primeau the permanent back up in mtl, because that's too much sitting for a young goalie. So Lindgren is there to sit on the bench and only play if there's an injury.

who else would be better suited and or willing to do that?

3. Treb

Treb Moderator

Primeau is now 2.10 and 0.928 in 8 games. @TatTar

4. Milhouse40

Milhouse40 Registered User

Why, oh why did i wrote this bolded part…..i jinx him.
    Still…..prove once again that every stats base on % are extremely volatile at this stage of the season.

kevsavard95 likes this.
  5. DangerDave

DangerDave Mete's Shot

I'm starting to think he may be our best prospect. I'd certainly rank him right there with Suzuki and KK ( if we can still consider him a prospect) and above Poehling, Caufield, Brook and Romanov. Having a successor to Price would be such a relief down the road.

didimentionlarseller likes this.
  6. Old Drunk Guy

Old Drunk Guy Registered User

Good to see Primeau bounce back with a shutout against Bridgeport.

7. azcanuck

azcanuck Registered User

He's got a .934 save percentage which at first glance seems crazy good. But that puts him in a tie for 7th in the league. They got some stingy goalies down there.

8. Acadien86

Acadien86 Registered User

Worth noting that every goaltenders in front of him are at least 4 years older.

cphabs and Redux91 like this.
  9. azcanuck

azcanuck Registered User

I"m not down on the kid just pointing that out.
    I think we got a good one coming up to replace Price,

goforit likes this.
  10. DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave Voice of Reason

So if Primeau continues along this development curve, what's the timeline for him? Can we pencil him in as our backup next year? We could play him more than most backups which would help keep Price fresh, but also give Primeau the PT he needs. After that who knows. It seems as though we are heading towards a crossroads where we will either have to trade Price or Primeau, as the kid is on the fast track.

11. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

I think he needs to play more games than a backup gets. I'd have him as the #1 in Laval and call him up for back to backs.

12. Old Drunk Guy

Old Drunk Guy Registered User

I wouldn't put Primeau above Caufield. Goalies are a wildcard.

phillytennis likes this.
  13. DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave Voice of Reason

At somepoint he's going to have to do the backup goalie thing in the NHL. You don't just hand the keys to your franchise to a goalie who's never played in the NHL before. There needs to be a buffer year where they get their feet wet as a backup.

14. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

Yes that buffer year should be as late as possible - i suppose the first year he's no longer waiver exempt. I don't think that's next year.

15. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    He's back under 2.00 GAA again...

[​IMG]

16. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I would have Caufield over Primeau as well but I don't think we can just say Primeau is just some goalie prospect at this point in time. Not all goalie prospects are created equal and Primeau is trending very very good. That's not ignored with scouts and they look at things much deeper than fans do.

Look at Hawkey for example. His NCAA stats are also very very good but he's playing ECHL this year in his 1st pro season as a 24 year old.

Primeau is the cream of the crop in terms of goalie prospects. He has more value than some are willing to admit cause some think "goalies" have no value. The issue is not all goalies are the same and it's weird to pretend they are. What Primeau has done in 9 AHL games is a major factor from what he was worth last season vs this season. It's working the opposite with Poehling and Brook.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  17. FrankMTL

FrankMTL Registered User

Primeau's stats since being drafted are nothing short of incredible. The worst Sv Pct he's had wherever he's played (WJC, NCAA, AHL), was his first year in the NCAA at .931...that's insane.

2017-2018 (NCAA)- .931
    2018=2019 (NCAA)- .933
    2018-2019 (WJC)- .936
    2019-2020 (AHL)- .934

So basically, in the 84 non exhibition games he's played since he was drafted, he has kept a + .930 sv pct

cphabs and Redux91 like this.
  18. jfm133

jfm133 Registered User

With the farm club in Laval Primeau could easily play 25 games as a backup next year for Montreal, and 20 games at home for Laval. That would allow him a proper workload with minimal travel time.

Acadien86 and 26Mats like this.
  19. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    He is looking elite level or putting up insane numbers earlier than just some "goalie prospect". Look at Hawkey for example... he had great NCAA numbers as well and is playing ECHL at 24 in his first pro season.

Not all goalie prospects created equal so not sure why some are pretending it to be.

20. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

I've never heard of a young goalie doing such a split. But it makes too much sense not to do so.

For me it's simple: as soon as Primeau shows he's ready to be better than some cheap, mediocre veteran backup we can sign, have Primeau play the 2nd night of back-to-backs, and then after the game send him back down to Laval where he plays the lion share of the games. That way Price plays a lot, Primeau plays a lot, and we have the best goalies in the organization playing every game.

21. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

It's tough to say, I would assume they have Primeau as the full on starter next year and then have him get in some games at some point. The problem is you can't trade Price at any point until he wants out. So I think a lot of it will come down to Price, if he goes to management in the off-season and says he doesn't want to mentor the kid or he wants to win a cup now, then that would change the plan. If Price doesn't want out, then at some point they may have to look at trading Primeau.

i've been saying how impressed I was with him, I watch a lot of NCAA hockey and it's very rare to see what he did at 18 and 19. He's trending to be at the level of Price and that's saying something. Not saying he will ever be that good in those years where Price was just crushing it after winning gold at the olympics but perhaps not too far from that. It's early though so we'll see how it goes.

Plekatorz likes this.
  22. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    In fairness to Lindgren, his stats in 18 NHL games are much better than Niemi and Kinkaid so far. And think about the roster in front of Lindgren in those 18 games? 2 shutouts as well.

Not saying he is our solution but I'd give him a shot in a few back-up games. He seems to to step up in big games.

I think he is a decent piece to have in case Kinkaid goes down and we don't want to rush Primeau

MarkovsKnee likes this.
  23. ahmedou

ahmedou #GoHabsdouGo

Primeau never disapointed me. Whether when I'm going on the spot at his development camps and games.

Redux91 likes this.
  24. Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels Registered User

25. didimentionlarseller

didimentionlarseller Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL

Was impressed with both of his games he looks very calm and has some good rebound control decent puck handling for such a young goalie