D Ryan Johnson - University of Minnesota, NCAA (2019, 31st, BUF)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by GeorgeLeafer12, Aug 16, 2018.

1. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

I mean there's no guarantees but you should at least be intrigued. He has a lot of tools at his disposal. The big question is how much offensive upside does he have? I think he's got more than his point totals would indicate and he'll have 2-3 years to develop offensively. If he continues to develop there, he's fantastic value at this spot.

I also wouldn't really classify him as a late riser, as in he didn't come out of nowhere. He's always been well respected as a prospect. He just played an extra year of midget, so he had no exposure as a 16 year old and there was the lingering question of how he'd handle the next level, which was exasperated when he missed the Hlinka last summer for Team USA due to injury. This was his first year in the USHL and he had a great season. He obviously improved too, but it also eliminated the concern of how he'd do in his first year of high level hockey. At the WJAC this year, he was charged with shutting down Podkolzin, which he did and made it look effortless too.

A lot of us USAH followers think he's a strong contender to make Team USA at the WJC.

2. SabresSharks

SabresSharks Registered User

It's too crowded out there anyway. Someone might fall.

3. GeorgeLeafer12

GeorgeLeafer12 GEORGE=JORI,LEAFER=LEHTERÄ,12=JERSEY NUMBER

Entrepreneur
    Buffalo Sabres it is then. Got picked two picks earlier what his father.
    Ryan 31st, Craig 33rd

4. OhYeahAndVesey

OhYeahAndVesey Registered User

Musician
    Yes you should. I think in a few years when there's a redraft, he'll go a lot higher than 31. A lot of scouts seem to be of the opinion that his lack of offense has to do with - I don't know if I'd say poor coaching, but lets say very conservative coaching.

5. Chainshot

Chainshot Give 'em Enough Rope Sponsor

Herding Cats
    Awards:
    Seems like he’s shown well at the WJSS, which should help keep him in the thick of the US U20 selection process on the blue line.

William H Bonney likes this.
  6. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

#3 OV Bowen Turcotte
    small sample size and all, but damn he has been impressive to watch play..I would be shocked if he did not make the team as long as he remains healthy in December. he should be manning the Gophers power play right out the gate as well..kid could be in for a really big year coming up..

7. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

What I've liked is that he hasn't missed a beat even though he's playing his toughest competition yet while also playing his offside. He still looks like the same player. Obviously a small sample size here and it's summer hockey, but it's quite impressive that his game seems to transition seamlessly to the next level each time his competition takes a big step up. Less than a year and a half ago he was finishing his second season of U16 AAA hockey with the Jr. Ducks. Then last season he steps right into the USHL, makes the All-Rookie team, wins the USHL Clark Cup Championship, and also wins gold at the WJAC. Now he's playing at the WJSS against some of the top U20 players in the world and it hasn't fazed him. I think it has to give a lot of folks (Gophers, Sabres, USAH) confidence on how he'll transition to the NCAA in a couple of months and possibly the WJC.

I'm most interested in whether he can tap his offensive potential. The tools are there for the most part, but he needs to improve his shot and open up his game a bit. He has the skating and hockey IQ to take more risks and still recover. The only thing that stops him from being an elite defensive prospect is his minimal offensive production. If that develops, watch out.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  8. Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich AV AND GORTON OUT

Student
    I think he’s going to make it, as well. Probably 6th or 7th D. I wouldn’t expect that much from him at the WJC though. 18 year old defensemen usually struggle, so it should be more about easing him in for him to be one of the leaders on the backend the following year.

William H Bonney likes this.
  9. Chainshot

Chainshot Give 'em Enough Rope Sponsor

Herding Cats
    Awards:
    Yeah, there doesn't need to be undo pressure on the kid to perform. That is so much a 19-year old tournament, especially for defensemen, so to possibly make it at 18 is both special and something requiring one to temper expectations.

10. tealhockey

tealhockey @overtheboards

Home Page:
    He definitely has some offensive upside, but I think of him as a high floor, medium ceiling type guy. He is so poised, great skater, vision, passing, but he doesn't scream top pair potential. If you are happy with a guy who could be a really solid player for a while, work the PP a bit, I think he's a good one. It'll be exciting to see what he can do in MN this year they need defensemen who can make an impact bad, and they have more than enough talent up front to work with him, his numbers should jump by new year into sophomore year.

Chainshot likes this.