F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by RedWingsAllTheWay, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

#3 OV Bowen Turcotte
    well I am not sure where 60-70 goals is coming from?? Cat hasn't scored 40 yet, so not sure why you think he is going to hit those numbers..Ovi can't even do that anymore, doubt Cat ever will.

Caufield compares favorably to DeBrincat, style of play and how they create their offense...both kids will be connected due to their size, style of play, and lethal shots...no harm in that. Caufield has a few years to go before we even see him at the NHL level, so plenty of time for him to continue to work on his game, but right now if you wanted to compare Caufield to anyone playing in the NHL, it would be Cat.
    and when someone says version 2.0, it doesn't mean they will produce 2 times that player - just means they are similar and a possible second coming of...maybe that is where your 60-70 goals is coming from???

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Pavel Buchnevich likes this.
  2. AmericanDream

#3 OV Bowen Turcotte
    same post from the Hughes is a bum thread...
    great job Cole!!!

Frannel and Pavel Buchnevich like this.
  3. Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich AV AND GORTON OUT

Student
    Wisconsin went easy on them.

kroypuck likes this.
  4. AmericanDream

#3 OV Bowen Turcotte
    lol, yup!

Pavel Buchnevich likes this.
  5. Breakers

Breakers Registered User

It's funny hearing people talk about the U18 and NCAA in here

6. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    Why do I see this guy slipping down draft lists? He's having a great season.

8 points (5G, 3A) in his last two games. There's the potential for 17 games left in the season. If the USA advances to the medal round of the WJC18 and Caufield plays all remaining games, he would beat Matthews NTDP single season goals record with 13 goals in those 17 games. He has 43 goals in 46 games.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  7. covfefe

covfefe Met Gala buckled

I definitely get the DeBrincat comparisons, they're only natural with Caufield's stature/goal scoring prowess. But having watched him lately, I'm reminded more of Gaudreau- his hands are absolutely dynamite. Just has the puck on a string and seems to come up with a lot of creative solutions out there.

(*not saying he ends up as a top-5 scorer in the NHL, merely talking hands here, folks)

8. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Don't really see it personally, he's a goalscorer first and foremost and doesn't come close to Gaudreau's playmaking (which is a huge part of Johnny's game). If there is a comparison out there for Caufield, it is Cam Atkinson. The problem with DeBrincat is that he's more of a zonal player always cycling and getting into scoring positions. Cole is much more off the rush and plays a very north to south high intensity game similar to Atkinson.

9. canuck2010

canuck2010 Registered User

I thought men played in the NCAA.

10. milesandmiles

milesandmiles Registered User

11. New Jersey Devils

New Jersey Devils Doc & Chico Forever

Best shot in the draft. Height be damned I wouldn’t be surprised if he somehow sneaks into the top 10.

12. AmericanDream

#3 OV Bowen Turcotte
    It can be done my friend!!

[​IMG]
    #DeBrincat 2.0

Kevin Musto likes this.
  13. Whalers Fan

Whalers Fan Go Habs!

Just got home from the game. It was nice that both Caufield and Hughes set the program records at home on the same night.

AmericanDream and milesandmiles like this.
  14. Ctrain2k

Ctrain2k Registered User

Kaliyev? The guy everyone’s agreed for over 2 years has the best shot in the draft.

15. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

And, fittingly, on the same goal. Wonder if they cut the puck in half.

Hughes says they're splitting the puck:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  16. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

It wouldn't surprise me if it happens. He's pretty similar to Debrincat as has been pointed out a lot and I'm sure a lot of GMs are kicking themselves for doubting Debrincat and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

If NHL GMs were allowed to re-do the 2016 draft at this point, it's really, really hard to make an argument that Debrincat is not a Top 10 pick. Here's my opinion of the clear cut top 9 players from that draft, based on the order they were drafted, and it's hard to make the argument that there's 2 or more players not in this list deserving to be above Debrincat in a redraft, thus knocking him out of the Top 10.
    • Auston Matthews
    • Patrik Laine
    • Pierre Luc-Dubois
    • Matthew Tkachuk
    • Clayton Keller
    • Mikhail Sergachev
    • Charlie McAvoy
    • Alex Debrincat
    • Carter Hart
    That's certainly not to say some of the guys that haven't established themselves yet won't come on and overtake some of the above guys as as we're still talking about 20/21 year olds, or that NHL GMs wouldn't still get hung up on his size, but it's pretty clear now that Debrincat was undervalued and would go much, much higher in a redraft.

I still don't expect Caufield to go in the Top 10, but I don't expect GMs to make as drastic a mistake letting him slide like they did with Debrincat.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    New Jersey Devils and JiggsNY like this.
  17. GeorgeLeafer12

GeorgeLeafer12 GEORGE=JORI,LEAFER=LEHTERÄ,12=JERSEY NUMBER

Entrepreneur
    You'd put Tkachuk,Keller,Sergachev,McAvoy ahead of DeBrincat?
    I think DeBrincat would be 3rd in the re-draft, or probably 4th due to the fact that Dubois is a center.

But what comes to other stuff, i am somewhat with you, not sure is Caulfield similar to DeBrincat thou
    other than size , which is the obvious one and Cole seem to have a tremendous shot, but style of play ans other stuff?...
    not in the slightest.

18. Dodospice

Dodospice Registered User

He said it was in order they were drafted, not how he ranks them.

Tkachuk is easily ahead of DeBrincat though IMO. Not quite the goal scorer DeBrincat is, though he does have 30 on the season, practically the same amount of points in the same amount of games but Tkachuk brings way more to the table in other aspects of the game.

19. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    Caufield’s had one of the best seasons of any first year draft-eligible. It’s hard to see him falling in the draft all that far. I’ve seen that listing on some lists.

The operative question here is how high can you justify picking Caufield. I don’t think he’s likely to bust, but he’s very undersized with one tool that’ll play as more than average in the NHL. If he’s not a big goal scorer, you aren’t going to turn him into a fourth liner. Boom or bust prospect, in my opinion. I say that as a big Caufield fan.

I hope teams overlook this guy and my team can pick him with our second first rounder.

20. milesandmiles

milesandmiles Registered User

21. GeorgeLeafer12

Entrepreneur
    106 goals (so far) in just 2 seasons (112 games), more goals than any player, ever.
    Total of 156 goals in 171 games for USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USHL+USDP)
    again, more goals than any player, ever.

And if you count 12 goals in 13 games for team USA (WHC-17+WJC-U18) = 168 goals in 184 games.
    Also, scored 82 goals in total of 49 games in the USHS-WI for Steven's Point Area High. (2 seasons)

That would give him total of 250 goals in just 233 games. :eek:

Love likes this.
  22. Whalers Fan

Whalers Fan Go Habs!

The 106 career goals for Caufield include his international games while in the NTDP, so those 12 goals are included in the 106. The website www.usahockeyntdp.com is probably the best place to find out the correct statistics information on NTDP players. The site can be difficult to navigate, but the information is all there, and accurate. If you Google "Cole Caufield NTDP 2017-18 stats" and then select game log, you will see his stats for each game that season, along with totals for each category at the bottom of the table.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  23. ProspectsSTC

ProspectsSTC >hdiff

Can't wait for 3-4 years time where everyone who had him in the mid to late first say he should have been a top 5 pick, and not to underrate small players like him again.

Will people ever learn their lesson? Find out next time on dragon ball z

NotProkofievian and Love like this.
  24. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

It varies though. Obviously missing on DeBrincat sucks. But, I don't think teams are kicking themselves for passing on Yamamoto the next year. Yamamoto's young, so he can still become an impact NHLer. We won't see a kid like Point slip to the 3rd again anytime soon, and a Debrincat situation is also unlikely.

But, I'd say GM's are now overlooking height more high in the draft. Quinn Hughes went 7th overall as a defenceman and many believe he was 5'9 or shorter (and that's why he avoided the height measurements at the combine).

I'd be pretty shocked to see Caufield go top 10. But after that 10 of Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Boldy, Krebs, Dach, Cozens, Byram and Zegras, the draft is pretty wide open. Now, we could see one or two surprise picks passing those guys (similar to how Hayton and Kravtsov sort of shocked the top 10 last year pushing Wahlstrom and Dobson out), but after those 10 are off the board, the draft could go in many different ways. 31 teams with individual lists are going to have wide-variances on guys, so Caufield could end up being the 2nd best guy on many teams remaining list and slip to the 20's, or one teams could love him and shock us by taking him at 11.

25. GeorgeLeafer12

Entrepreneur
    Okay... its really confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.