Confirmed with Link: (G)Sergei Bobrovsky 7yr @ 10 mil

Discussion in 'Florida Panthers' started by EnforceTheLaus, Jul 1, 2019.

1. geisterpanthers

geisterpanthers Registered User

Surgeon
    Watching Driedgers calm and efficiant style last game I'd say Bob also sets himself up for those spectacular saves with the way he is playing, being all over the crease all the time (and beyond that).

harv3317 and I am not exposed like this.
  2. PantherboyHTR

PantherboyHTR An Old School Cat

Bob's cross-crease coverage is superb. Not sure someone can go post to post with size in the league like him.
    I feel like Drieder didn't have to make any saves like that last night, because the defense didn't put him in a tough spot.

blinky67 likes this.
  3. geisterpanthers

geisterpanthers Registered User

Surgeon
    Yea when I saw Bobs mobility in his first game or so for us this year I was like damn we are in for smth special here, well hasn't worked so far lol

harv3317 likes this.
  4. klabob

klabob Registered User

His save on Kucherov :popcorn:

5. KW

KW HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Reimer played well once again last night, in front of a very good defense.

Folks, it’s the ultimate team game. The D makes the G better and vice versa. The O helps with the D and vice versa. All are needed to work together.

I think a fair criticism of Bob and the D is that the D may be thinking that Bob will save their butts and Bob is trying to do much to cover for D. And this is maybe happening because with Bob the whole team is more offense minded.

They need to start playing the same way in front of Bob as they did with Driedger and everything will be just fine. And Bob will need to calm down and play just the goalie position.

6. PantherboyHTR

I think a lot of goals can't be ignored this year that were the forwards to blame. You got to get back and finish your back check 100%.

7. PSLguy

PSLguy #committedtothecats

Law Enforcement
  8. Kellyr

Kellyr Registered User

I'd say the effort has been there but positioning hasn't. Some systems issues I assume when guys are left unmarked.

9. PantherboyHTR

I know system issues seem to be corrected last game obviously.
    Former Blackhawk players have said in Q's first year it took till American Thanksgiving to fully Implement his system, which was last game.
    I see better times in our future.

Rahooji likes this.
  10. vendetta

vendetta #CatsAreComing

Also he didn’t put himself in a tough spot like bob has done multiple times. That’s just reality.

11. austropanther

austropanther Registered User

Are we really generalizing by comparing one game by Driedger to 20 (or maybe over 400 NHL games) by Bob?

Again, Bob has not been good. But this turned into a witchhunt (which I don't get at all sitting at 2nd in our division)

12. austropanther

@JonathanHuberdoh

Well, if I am really sitting on my high horse, at least I am able to see some other colors than black and dark black... and I am able to allow any other opinion besides "Bob sucks a**". Who are the sad/pathetic ones here?

Why does NOT criticizing the sh*t out of Bob automatically means that somebody is saying he plays well? He was not good this year so far, everybody agrees on that! Yes, Q said so himself. But Q also said that the whole team is becoming more effective defensively in a group and hoping to do this on a more consistent basis. I fail to see where he says "Bob sucks". Does that mean I believe I know better than Q? Get out of your own a**. Point is that Bob is not the lone responsible for this. Again, it is a team sport, and there was still no real blunder by Bob.

Didn't think our fanbase is that bitter that we have to be that negative while we are sitting where we are in the standings.

13. Kellyr

Kellyr Registered User

Bob has sucked the last 3-4 games or so, not the whole year.

14. letsgrowcactus

letsgrowcactus Registered User

The problem is that because of his contract, Bob's level of play will have huge impact on the team in the next 5+ years; we absolutely need him to play well. Now obviously every goalie can have cold streaks, bad streaks, even the occasional awful year... As long as Bob rebounds eventually we'll be fine... and he probably will, but you can't blame people for being nervous when the 31 year old guy with the 7x10 mill contract looks bad in his first 21 games with the team.

I am not exposed likes this.
  15. austropanther

I absolutely agree. We have to be very critical of his performance and we have to expect more, for every dime we are paying him and for every hour he is able to play under the Floridian sun.

Being nervous about him is one thing. Pushing everything bad on him that happens on the team - even especially when he is not playing - is the other where I find he gets an unfair treatment - especially using one Driedger game to support an argument. It is all about extremes where people should just relax a bit more. Nothing about his play has been surprising as he is known as a slow starter.

We always should see his performance in the light of the overall performance of the team. A bad goalie can look great on a very good team. Expectations are rightfully high, but IMO he derserves to be cut some slack and a new chance on the next quarter of the season

16. 42

42 Registered User

He has sucked most of the year, not just the last 3-4 games. In fact, he is getting better, when you look at his numbers from the start of the year.

I am not exposed and klabob like this.
  17. Kellyr

Kellyr Registered User

No he hasn't. Hasn't been great but about average. The last 3-4 games he sucked.

18. 42

42 Registered User

How could he have been above average with SV% of .885?

19. Kellyr

Kellyr Registered User

Because Bob is not the only one affecting his numbers? :confused:

pantherbot likes this.
  20. klabob

klabob Registered User

He is when he's letting in clunkers.

21. Kellyr

Kellyr Registered User

So how do you factor in his numbers the tire fire defense?

22. klabob

klabob Registered User

Imo, if Bob had played average (not good, average) he'd be in the area of .902 to .907 (about 10-12 goals less).
    Those numbers are not good, even for an average goalie and that's because of the defense.

It's a bit like Theodore in his first season here. He had a .917 and for that season, that was below average for a goalie, but I think everyone remember that he was playing great and was one of the main reason for making the playoffs. His play was well above average and had a below average SV% because the defense was that bad. If Bob had a .912 SV%, which is about average for the NHL, it'd be singing his praise for playing great behind this defense.

23. Kellyr

Kellyr Registered User

Disagree with the analogy that he would have to have x save% to be called average. It's heavily team and defense dependent (e.g. comparing the style of play between NYI vs. SJ).

Price has had a pretty similar season as Bob so far, started off well but has stunk like their whole D the last few games and now he's sub .90%. He hasn't been great either at any point but we shouldn't be lumping all the games together and have a short term memory of 3-4 games and say the whole season has been bad.

pantherbot and Crossbar like this.
  24. klabob

klabob Registered User

It's not short time memory issue, he has been bad all season long and maybe you are having a short term memory and forgetting how bad he has been all season.

25. Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz LAWSonic Boom

Agreed, Bob isn't the only big name goalie with a sub .900 sv%. Price, Vasi....even Holtby is only .909, and for most of the season was barely above .900 on the best team in the league. The way your team plays in front of a goalie heavily influences sv%.

pantherbot and Crossbar like this.