GDT: Game 20 - CBJ vs MTL - 19 Nov, 7pm, @Nat

Discussion in 'Columbus Blue Jackets' started by Viqsi, Nov 19, 2019.

1. The Jones Zone

The Jones Zone HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Department of Justice

I'd choose Foligno.........1 good year otherwise he's a 4th line, maybe borderline 3rd line player

Just sayin

DarkandStormy, EspenK and DJAnimosity like this.
  2. ViD

ViD #CBJNeedHugs

Cam needs to sit a game or two to get some motivation

3. The Jones Zone

The Jones Zone HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Department of Justice
    Torts in postgame "are we gonna change the lineup?" (regarding Foligno coming back)

I love to see him keep the same lineup

but I'd guess it's Milano..or maybe Nash

4. Cowumbus

Cowumbus Registered User

Just got home from the game. Foligno should be scratched until we lose again.

5. pled

pled Registered User

its just one game dont be to excited

6. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

I think the jackets got more than their fair share of luck tonight. But it was Korpisalo who stood tall and kept them in the game.

I thought it was fitting that I was in attendance for a game in which they won by a comfortable margin given my continuous harping on their narrow margins of victory. LOL

thebus88, Monk, CPTN71 and 5 others like this.
  7. punk_o_holic

punk_o_holic Registered User

That save by Korpisalo was huge right after they made it 3-2. Would have been lame if they won the faceoff and went down the ice and tied it back up in 10 seconds or so.

Think they said first time they scored 5 goals this season.

8. CBJWennberg10

CBJWennberg10 Dark Days Have Returned

9. majormajor

majormajor Registered User

We'll all be pleased to know that ice time was very flat tonight. Milano actually was 2nd, only after Dubois, in 5 v 5 ice time among forwards.

The line that got the least, about 12 minutes, was Nyquist - Jenner - Bjorkstrand. Those guys all got on the board tonight but the scoring wasn't when they were together. They spent nearly the whole game prior to that getting buried in their own end.

Milano - Dubois - Bemstrom, I'm sure.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  10. majormajor

I think it might have been the Jackets worst period since the Flyers / Oilers games. They really got buried and Korpi kept them in it.

So it's funny again that this was the game where they get the crazy lucky goal, and that the offensive damn burst right after that.

It's the Costanza game. We had Costanza lines, Torts picked what he thought wouldn't work. Then they went out and sucked hard, pulling another Costanza. And it worked!

EspenK likes this.
  11. FinBlue

FinBlue Registered User

Hey its streak! Couple beautiful goals tonight, Korpi was solid so its all good atleast moment

12. Ice9

Ice9 Registered User

Hunting
    I figured we were a .500 team or a tad better this year. Love the youth line!!!

13. EDM

EDM Registered User

I was not particularly happy with Torts' comments after the game lamenting that we did not do enough hitting and grinding. Seems scoring is a lower priority for Torts than doing "the grind". I wonder if it ever occurs to him that the reason they were scoring is t hat they were not tied up trying to "grind" and instead were showing their skills?

ScreamingWild and EspenK like this.
  14. The Bread Man

The Bread Man Registered User

He’s a dinosaur , what do you expect . This is why forwards leave our team that torts utilized like a toilet seat , and they go on to lead their team in scoring the next year . Karlsson, Duclair . Btw , anyone catch Duclairs statement last night about what a blessing it was to play for a coach that believed in him . Torts yanks players around for the slightest mistakes , unless they are veteran in his eyes , and then wonders why this team is so tight . That was all we heard after last game , this is the most uptight bunch he’s ever been around . It’s not real hard to understand John, it really isn’t . Look in the mirror sir ...

DJAnimosity and EspenK like this.
  15. DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy Registered User

Cam needs to sit. It's all mental (have confirmed this). If you must put Foligno in, then I'd sit Cam or Wennberg. But Cam doesn't have a 5v5 goal this season but is somehow being played the most among the forwards. Just more...incredible...coaching decisions.

Counting the playoffs, Cam has 7-16-23 in his last 41 games. Wtf has happened to his goal scoring? In his last 50 games (playoffs still included) he has 10-18-28. He's been on this ~45 point/~15 goal pace for a *long time* now. It makes absolutely no sense to be playing him 19+ minutes a game.

16. Monstershockey

Monstershockey Registered User

Its funny you keep bringing up Karlsson. I went back and looked at the expansion draft thread and you were right there with Torts about getting rid of Karlsson. In fact, you said Sedlak was the better player. Karlsson is gone and bringing him up doesn't mean anything. And really, people here care what Duclair has to say? He has a reputation of being not easy to coach, not just by Torts. Torts was probably not happy that they weren't generating more shots and were still giving up good scoring chances. Korpi still had to make some tough saves, and that chance off the faceoff after taking the lead was disturbing. You need to lay off the Torts comments, I am sure you can make a better case about the state of things other than blaming the coach.

thebus88, Viqsi and DoggyII like this.
  17. majormajor

I don't know if this was what you meant, but Torts was never trying to get rid of Karlsson. He gave Karlsson very consistent ice time through the year, even as Karlsson went half the year without scoring a goal. Karlsson had a very good all-around game that Torts appreciated. Torts then matched Karlsson up, successfully, against Malkin in the playoffs.

thebus88 and Viqsi like this.
  18. CPTN71

CPTN71 GIF it! Sponsor

Kudos to Korpisalo for his continued bounce back after the temper benching last week.

I don't have a preference between him and Elvis, but I would just like to know sooner than later that we have a firm replacement for Bob that we can count on for the foreseeable future.

His play coming out of the benching is a step in that direction IMO.

thebus88, koteka and Viqsi like this.
  19. Monstershockey

Monstershockey Registered User

I was trying to stay with his narritive that Torts should have seen his talent and played him differently. I don't think anyone saw his 1st season with Vegas coming, including Vegas. If I remember correctly, Karlsson was included with the Clarkson contract deal so Columbus could control who was taken in the expansion draft and not lose a guy they had to leave unprotected. I really didn't have an issue with the deal. I was glad to be rid of Clarkson.

thebus88 likes this.
  20. Long Live Lyle

Long Live Lyle Registered User

I’d sit Cam next game. As I mentioned last week, it worked a few years ago. Something’s not right with him at the moment. Sitting a game or two could be good.

DarkandStormy and Monstershockey like this.
  21. Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse Just post better

I agree he should watch a game or two. His play dipped in the postseason and hasn't come back.

I'm curious about your confirmation of his problems being mental. Are you saying you've positively confirmed somehow that it's mental or that you're ruled out that it's physical?

22. DarkandStormy

Have "source," basically. I'll try to double confirm with JLGP next time I get a chance to chat...if he'll opine, that is. But yeah, confirmed it's not a physical injury and just mostly frustration not being able to finish (see: shooting <5% for his last 50 some odd games).

Double-Shift Lasse likes this.
  23. DarkandStormy

I mean, guys who are "struggling" right now, at least in terms of producing related to expectations: Cam, Anderson, Texier, Wennberg (if you believe he's more than a 30 point centerman), Bjorkstrand. Andy, I think, is just not 100% after his injury. But either way, I'd look at those 4 or 5 before the usual Milano, Robinson, Bemstrom type guys to sit for Foligno. Or heck, sit Foligno again. The team got 5 of 6 points without him - probably their best 3 game stretch. Coincidence?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  24. The Bread Man

The Bread Man Registered User

I wasnt watching him in practice daily, surely thats not hard to understand. Amazing that he woke up in Vegas with the talent level to be a #1C, and our coach wanted him to focus on being a checker, but Gallant was able to recognize his skill set, and utilize his skill set he has.

25. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

The legend of Wild Bill: William Karlsson is hockey’s most unlikely success story

100% agree with BreadMan on this. It's a complete organizational mess up. Torts and Jarmo can share the blame on this one. They got to watch him daily for 2 years and missed the boat. Inexcusable.

I've lost touch with him, but I used to have a good relationship with Jarrod Skalde who coached in Cincinnati but I never asked him about WK.

The Bread Man likes this.