Game of the decade vote off?

Discussion in 'Geek Emporium' started by Do Make Say Think, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Beau Knows

Beau Knows Captain Canada

No it's definitely the same thing for Dark Souls. The difficulty adds to the games atmosphere and even it's story and themes. But the creative level/enemy design and atmosphere is what sticks with you.

2. Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus Registered User

Yeah, I assumed it was. I think the main difference between Bloodborne and a Souls game that I've heard is that Bloodborne is more about aggressive gameplay, whereas a Souls game is more defensive.

When I first played Bloodborne I got frustrated at the lack of clarity on things, whether it be telling you what to do or where exactly you even were, but once you realize that is part of the game's charm, it really sucks you in.

Level design is another aspect. I loved how you'd unlock a certain path and just be like "Oh, I'm back here." Huge sense of relief if it was a really difficult spot to get to to unlock. It's almost like a throwback to beating a level and getting the satisfaction of getting the "level code" or whatever it was so you could start back there next time.

Beau Knows likes this.
  3. Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think & Yet & Yet

It doesn't do anything particuliarly notable gameplay wise but **** me did I care about Joel and Ellie.

And while the gameplay was not innovative I really enjoyed taking on humans (zombies not so much).

It was a game I resisted playing for a long time and I couldn't put it down. Not a lot of games made me care like TLoU did.

Also the ending is just absolutely perfect: coming to the realization of what Joel is doing as he's doing it was really effective.

4. Ceremony

Ceremony ______________

Home Page:
    I didn't play it until 2016, and I didn't finish it until last year. I avoided it as much as I could too. Here's what I wrote when I finished it (I don't expect you to read this): The last few games you beat and rate them III

The best description I've seen for it was the Zero Punctuation review which described it as "whatever the video game equivalent of Oscar bait is", and I think that fits perfectly. It looks nice (when it works, playing it on PS3 had bugs out the arse), and, er, that's it. The characters and the story didn't interest or stick with me at all.

5. Ho Kogan

Ho Kogan Spirits and Cosmos

Yeah, I gave up on playing TLOU because I was tired of fighting with how poorly it played. I watched a playthrough of it, and glad I didn't waste time playing the game. The payoff wasn't worth it, I did not care for these characters at all. If it didn't have Naughty Dog's name on it, I doubt it would have received the praise that it did.

6. Frankie Spankie

Frankie Spankie Registered User

It's actually pretty crazy how that works for the gaming industry. I didn't enjoy KOTOR at all and when I posted a review that started with "I'm not really a Star Wars fan" and posted a list of reasons why I thought the game design/mechanics were bad. I was answered with, "Well you would have enjoyed it if you were a Star Wars fan!" I hear the same thing about the new Spiderman game. All the posts that actually talk about the game design/game mechanics reviewed the game as a pretty average game but since it's Spiderman and not <Insert new IP name here>, it was highly praised.

I also tried playing TLOU. I thought the game was incredibly boring and the gameplay mechanics were just bad. I watched a video on Youtube that was pretty much an 8 hour movie of cutscenes with some gameplay sprinkled in and unlike you, I did enjoy the story. However, the gameplay was still so bad that the quality of the story doesn't matter to me, a bad game is a bad game.

bambamcam4ever likes this.
  7. bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever 107 and counting

Aside from a few fun minigames in Kotor, there's nothing special there and I'm a Star Wars fan, which is likely the only reason I made it even halfway through the game before I quit.

As for the bolded, I couldn't agree more, a good story is a nice bonus, but the game itself is what matters. If you're interested in a good story, read a book or watch a movie. I never understood why someone would settle for a hybrid of mediocre gameplay/"good for a videogame" story.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  8. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Registered User

Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild.

Witcher 3 by a nose.

9. Do Make Say Think

KotOR is not that good: it is just Baldur's Gate with a new coat of paint. KotOR 2 was so much better while not doing anything too crazy/different from the first game.

AFAIC, Mass Effect 2 was the only truly great game Bioware made. The first game was way too clunky for my tastes.

10. Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.

Damn, I really need to play Baldur's Gate apparently! I loved KotOR (both of them).

I'm probably as big a fan of the ME series as you'll find.

It's hard to ignore the jank of the first game, but as far as building a world goes, it was an absolute masterpiece in my mind. It sucked me into the world. If it wasn't as good as it was, I don't think I'd have enjoyed the sequels nearly as much. Looking back, it's overall a step below the other two in the series IMO.

I know a lot of people disliked the third game for the ending and the day 1 DLC (which seems almost tame by today's standards sadly), I still maintain it was the best in the series. What a ride that conclusion was, especially with the Citadel and Extended Cut DLCs. I'm probably weird though.

I respectfully disagree that ME2 was the only true great game. I think KotOR and Dragon Age: Origins were right up there as well.

Inquisition was really good, but a notable step below Origins and the ME trilogy.

Andromeda is.....okay. Anthem is trash.

Did I miss anything important? :laugh:

JBeast likes this.
  11. Beau Knows

I'm surprised they haven't done a "remaster" of the Mass Effect games.

There's a lot they could improve in the first game. And having all three games together is nice given the way they work with the import save functionality. I never finished the third game but I've heard many people are still disappointed with the updated ending, maybe they could work on that as well.

I think the second game sold quite a bit better than the first, so it would give some players the opportunity to play through the whole thing for the first time.

Jovavic likes this.
  12. Do Make Say Think

Baldur's Gate is very old school by now. I'd recommend something like Divinity Original Sin 2 over it, or even Pillars of Eternity 2 unless you are looking to relive the glory that was 1998 ;)

On the topic of Bioware: I didn't play ME3 since I got ME2 dirt cheap right around when ME3 was released (I had my fill of sci-fi shooter and all the negative coverage did not help). Dragon Age Origins was a fine classic RPG but I did not find it memorable (although I do still say "enchantment" to my friends were we are having drinks hehe), 2 was awful and here again I did not bother with the third game, it looked bloated as hell.

13. Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.

Those two have been on my Steam/GOG wishlist for a long time now. One day, when I've gotten through the parts of my backlog I actually want to play (getting close now - start of 2019 helped a ton), I will pick them up on the next available sale.

While I'm sure I'm a bit of a biased fan, I fully admit the game definitely deserved criticism. That said, I think the overall negativity was a bit overblown. Granted, the game's narrative impact lies in its characters so if you haven't had the attachment to them over the last two games, it might not have the same impact for you.

Still, fun to play and pretty intense. Definitely a recommend from me, although I'd prefer it came in the form of a remastered trilogy. It lacks a lot of modern feature support in its current state.

Inquisition had its issues and suffered a bit from open world syndrome, but it was solid. Not as good as Origins.

DA2 is not a great game, but I still maintain it is fun. Sarcastic path Hawke is one of my favourite MCs ever, and I really wish they kept the goofy options in the rotations rather than what passes for humour in Andromeda....or even worse, what they did with Anthem's dialogue "options".

I agree 100%

I actually think that the ending to 3 with the Extended Cut was good. Not the incredible branching ending that was promised, but a satisfactory ending to an otherwise phenomenal journey.

Weirdly enough, a remastered trilogy is probably my most wanted unannounced game right now. Aside from the improvements they could do on the technical side, I also want one collection with all the DLC. One of the greatest weaknesses of the trilogy was the really good DLC that completely changes the scope and path of the overall narrative being fed to the players piecemeal.

For example: until a couple years ago, I hadn't played the Arrival DLC that takes place between ME2 and ME3 and completely changes the tone at the start of the third game.

Jovavic and Beau Knows like this.
  14. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch ***** Pigeons

Web developer, programmer
    Home Page:
    Deadly Premonition.

15. Dr John Carlson

Dr John Carlson Light is all over us

I rip and run.
    Breath of the Wild, Celeste, Super Mario Galaxy 2.

16. blue425

blue425 Registered User

Home Page:
    Hotline Miami

17. GOALOFSSON

GOALOFSSON Game Changer

Love them

18. GOALOFSSON

GOALOFSSON Game Changer

Previous decade was way better imo.

bambamcam4ever likes this.
  19. The Head Crusher

The Head Crusher Unretired

I have to disagree on you here in that a console exclusive should not be in the running for this category, no matter how great of a game it is.

20. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

I can still play KOTOR, KOTOR 2 and BG2 and have done so repeatedly over the years.

There's a healthy dose of nostalgia but also the fact that I like the Star Wars and D&D/Forgotten Realms settings so it adds a lot to the experience.

Gameplay-wise, I can see why people might have problems with those games, but ultimately I find the flaws don't prevent me from enjoying them immensely.

21. Beau Knows

That's a strange rule. Some of the best games ever are console exclusives.

Besides you can play BoTW in 4K on PC if you really want to.

22. Do Make Say Think

That is silly. Exclusives remain video games that were released in a certain year, it makes absolutely no sense to exclude exclusives.

23. Shareefruck

Shareefruck Registered User

Software Developer
    What a weird and random take.

24. Do Make Say Think

I mean a bunch of exclusives got review bombed by neckbeards so while it certainly make no sense, it is unfortunately not entirely unexpected.

25. Shareefruck

Shareefruck Registered User

Software Developer
    I'm unfamiliar with this whole thing. So you're saying that there are people who angrily crusade against the concept of "exclusive games" as a whole, and he's suggesting that we should not include exclusive games in best of lists in order to protest alongside them or something?

Weird.