Is Tim Thomas HHOF or HHOVG?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by BlueBull, Apr 15, 2018.

?

HHOF or HOVG?

1. HHOF

36.6%
  2. HOVG

45.1%
  3. Neither.

18.3%
  1. Howie Hodge

Howie Hodge All tight lips and cold feet

Yyyyyessss........... :thumbu:

s-l400.jpg

2. BigBadBruins7708

BigBadBruins7708 Registered User

and we never got to see Dryden succeed without Robinson, Savard, Richard and LaFleur...that's a slippery slope I dont think you want to tread on

brucejohnjennerlawso likes this.
  3. Plural

Plural Registered User

Yup. Being an average goaltender is like being an average #1C or #1D. The word average is bit misleading since the 15th best goaltender in the NHL is most likely 15th best goaltender in the world. Being that good for 4-5 seasons is more than majority of goalies in the league ever do.

MadLuke likes this.
  4. Mike Farkas

Mike Farkas Grace Personified

Home Page:
    I think that's very valid actually. Proper talent evaluation exists to settle these disputes. But Dryden's lack of longevity and homogenous situation lowers his value to the bottom of the Big 7 for me certainly...

5. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

you are aware of the time ken dryden upset the greatest regular season bruins team of all time en route to the conn smythe right?

6. Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958 Registered User

Retired
    1971 Dryden did very well without Savard -injured and Robinson and Lafleur, both playing junior.

Thenameless likes this.
  7. BigBadBruins7708

BigBadBruins7708 Registered User

fixed.

you are aware that Dryden allowed 25 goals (3.57 GAA) in that series, right?

wetcoast likes this.
  8. Killion

Killion Registered User

Yeah, thats cool though. Dryden played all 20 games for the Habs in 71 on their way to the Cup & I dont believe they'd have made it without him. One of the Greatest Displays of Goaltending I've ever seen... gotta give credit where its due. Overall he had a 3.01 GAA, .914 SV%, winning 12, losing 8 games in what was a pretty wide open affair start to finish through Boston, Minny & Chicago. I & others I'm sure sometimes wondered how he'd have faired on a lesser team through the 70's, faced a lot more rubber, net crashing & so on, and based on what we did see of him I have no doubt he'd have been a Superstar with any team provided he was able to stay healthy physically. Its not as easy some might imagine staying sharp playing behind a great club.

Sentinel likes this.
  9. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

that bruins team was averaged over 5 goals/game in the regular season.

come on, man, that was arguably the greatest offensive juggernaut of all time. they had three players in the top 4 in goals, all five guys in the top 5 in assists (and another tied for 6th), and the top four scorers, plus #s 7, 8, and 9. orr and espo setting records that they themselves would not equal again. and so on.

dryden was spectacular and you know it.

Sentinel likes this.
  10. quoipourquoi

quoipourquoi Goaltender

Ken Dryden allowed 25 GA on 285 shots against a team that averaged 35.92 goals per 285 shots. Good for a 69.6 EvE, which for a more recent comparison is statistically in the range of finalists like 1999/2000 Ed Belfour (70.6/70.2) and 2000/2003 Martin Brodeur (70.8/68.8).

And that's just his statistical average which gets anchored down by a blowout loss. 7 of those 25 GA came in one game, meaning he held them to 18 goals on 229 shots in the other 6 games - of which he needed to (and did) win 4 games.

11. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

I thought this was interesting. Other than one encounter with Johnny Boychuk, Tim Thomas hadn’t been in any sort of contact with any of his former Bruins teammates until this week. That seems almost impossible in today’s environment.

There’s also maybe a tone of... regret? at letting it go that long. Might speak to the journey he’s taken mentally over the past decade.

12. DudeWhereIsMakar

DudeWhereIsMakar Bergevin sent me an offer sheet

I think the best he gets is the Bruins retiring his number. I mean he did win the Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, two Vezinas and the Jennings while playing for them. 378 wins too which I would question, but when you add it to the other things he did, if you ask me he deserves it.

But he's a long shot for the Hall of Fame.

13. seventieslord

seventieslord Student Of The Game

378 is his GP. He has 196 wins for Boston.

14. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

i don’t believe any of cheevers, thompson, or brimsek had their numbers retired so it looks like tim tom is probably out of luck on that front.

wetcoast likes this.
  15. ChiTownPhilly

ChiTownPhilly Not Too Soft

Asst Supervisor- State Gov't
    Forgive the digression- but the agglomeration of Bruins Retired Numbers are a varied lot-
    Orr/Bourque/Shore (beyond obvious)
    P. Esposito (obvious)
    Schmidt/Clapper (worthy)
    Bucyk (justifiable in an Alex Delvecchio kind-of-way)
    Cam Neely (understandable, if somewhat sentimental)

[After he hangs 'em up, the Chara jersey is probably headed to the rafters, too. I'd place that one in the "worthy" column.]

Then come the "I'm-not-so-sure-about-that-Yogi" laureates. Hitchman? Middleton? Terry O'Reilly?!?

I suppose I didn't say a kind word about Cowley in the entire "top-100" project... but he's objectively a more significant contributor to meaningful Bruins success than Neely, to say nothing of the other three guys south of him. Brimsek, of course, has greatness known to anyone who bothers to look into his record.

Bottom line is that there are better and worse Hall-of-Famers than Thomas- and there are more and less worthy Boston retired numbers than Thomas. Having said that, if Thomas has his number retired, and Brimsek remains un-honored, that would be quite ritardato. Probably moreso than Cheevers in the HoF, but Thomas not.

Ultimately, I agree with several posters than (pace Cheevers), the HoF standard for goalies is too high for Thomas to have a realistic chance. And as the memories of his on-ice playoff performances fade, those chances will inevitably decrease. I feel a little wistful about that, but it's not exactly like it's a howling injustice, either.

Sentinel likes this.
  16. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

Only 5 seasons of significant wins, two of which were great.

214 career wins? (19 goalies in the NHL today already have more)

One great playoffs with a single series win beside that.

His only international appearances: Olympic backup, four world championship tourneys, EACH & EVERY one as a backup, not the starter.

No way should Thomas be inducted. It is ridiculous.

17. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

OK, so following up on that thought... this is a lot sadder and a lot more ominous for the game of hockey than it looked at first.

https://apnews.com/a823a8e35563303b028294912736d048

Doctors told Tim Thomas that two-thirds of his brain were getting less than 5% blood flow and the other third was averaging about 50%.

His wife, Melissa, and oldest daughter, Kiley, started crying. Thomas didn’t react — because he couldn’t process what he was hearing.

“I couldn’t believe it because I couldn’t function well enough to understand it,” he said.
    “I woke up the next morning after it, and I couldn’t decide what I wanted to eat, where I wanted to go,” Thomas said. “I couldn’t plan a schedule. I survived by following the team schedule the rest of the year and just made it through that season.”

He then hung up his skates.

Thomas struggled to communicate with anyone, let alone watch hockey, in ensuing years. He couldn’t keep up with games, and he moved with his family to the woods to get away. He didn’t talk to his former teammates or even call his father.

The brain scan occurred a year after his retirement, and his thoughts wandered to his career and the hits he took to the head.
    Thomas on Wednesday attended his first NHL game since retiring and got to see some old Bruins teammates and friends behind the scenes. He’s not interested in getting involved with the game again in part because he thinks of the damage it caused him.

TheDevilMadeMe likes this.
  18. The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz Registered User

The longer time passes the more I lean towards his induction. He’s one of the post lockout era to hit that elite level of play and then actually got the job done. Not to mention he beat Luongo “head to head” for his Cup and MVP. Although his NHL career wasn’t long he only had one average season for Boston with the rest being above average to elite. It’s a great story to tell being able to battle your way through the lower leagues and Europe and become the best in the world after age 30. Or was a great story, it’s tragic to hear about his brain injury.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    TheDevilMadeMe and deflowd like this.
  19. psycat

psycat Registered User

HHOF for sure in my book, but I am one of those who prefer peak over longveity- preferably a player got both obviously but in this case his peak is so high I think he belongs regardless.

20. Garbageyuk

Garbageyuk Registered User

As a Habs fan: he should be in no question. He accomplished everything every goaltender dreams of. No kid puts on the pads and dreams of winning "x amount of regular season games". That is pretty much the only argument against him - longevity. Not enough of an issue to keep him out, imo.

21. ted2019

ted2019 Registered User

Except that Koufax was a generational pitcher, while Thomas had 2 incredible seasons in 9 years.

22. Voight

Voight #winning

Bill Durnan is in FYI.....

Agreed, and his 2011 playoff run was one of the best (by a goalie) in the last 30 or so years FWIW. Guy was unstoppable that year.

Yes. Without a doubt.

23. ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ Registered User

Where would Thomas rank among some of the other hotly debated "HOF/HOVG bubble" goalies such as CuJo, Osgood or Barrasso?

24. Mike Farkas

Mike Farkas Grace Personified

Home Page:
    1. Cujo

2. Barrasso

3. Osgood

Uhhh...

25. TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe Registered User

Awards:
    I have it

1) Barrasso