Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 14)

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Lshap, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitesnake

Whitesnake In my opinion.....

Automation & Robotics
    The debate was FOR NUMBER 3. And nobody believes that they'd stop following the Habs if the Habs would draft Tkachuk. And even if possible, they'd be right back this year. The great McCagg, who kept saying that JK had to be the player, was saying, 5 months prior to the draft, that Zadina was a future 40-goal scorer. People aren't dumb enough to just compare stats and don't take into account the league they play in. What played against Tkachuk was the number of goals he scored. That despite his IQ, he wasn't driving the play that much. That he seemed undisciplined, not the best in the defensive zone and some steps needed in his skating. Was surely still a top 10 pick, yet was probably not, at least in my limited view, not the pick to go with. Yet....Timmins didn't ask for my vote. He could have drafted him. I would have not liked it. And people could have said that again, I was wrong, and Timmins was right. Win-win.

As far as drafting for needs, again, stupid. We NEEDED a C, yet, we don't need him at C 2 years later. We would always go BPA, you would have turn out with a C at one point. You would have gotten Giroux instead of Fischer. You could have gotten Kuznetsov instead of Tinordi. Somehow, the same scout who thought JK had to be top 3 because mostly of his U-18, didn't watch Kuznetsov at the U-18? Go BPA, you will eventually add players on every position. If you can't....you trade the position you have too much for a need you have.

Frank Drebin and Habs like this.
  2. Frozenice

Frozenice the random dude

This sums up my impressions of the draft discussion here that year, I didn’t feel like entering into the discussion going on at the time, there was no rationalizing with the posters here. We’re going to draft who we’re going to draft, it’s no big deal.

dralaf and 26Mats like this.
  3. webersshot

webersshot Registered User

There's no comparison in those two players.

4. DangerDave

DangerDave Mete's Shot

I really hope KK gets loaned for the juniors. He would no doubt crush everyone and right now, a little confidence booster may be just what he'd needs.

angusyoung, Acadien86 and DXStriker like this.
  5. Goal Caufield

Goal Caufield Best Dog Ever

Not sure he would crush, but I'd expect him to have a very productive tourney

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Registered User

And the team has now burned two cost controlled seasons with both underwhelming production and improvements.

I still believe in the player but the team hasn’t done him any favours.

Classic example of failing to plan is planning to fail.

DAChampion likes this.
  7. DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave Voice of Reason

On the plus side, he should be cheap for his second contract :laugh:

Frank Drebin likes this.
  8. Doublelift

Doublelift Registered User

This kid was always going to be a project no matter what league he played in. Tough sophomore season so far but I still believe when all is said and done, we will look back and be happy we picked JK. Skill and IQ is there, it's just the physical maturity and that will come with time for him. Still not worried.

philipsson and sandviper like this.
  9. Whitesnake

Automation & Robotics
    If the kid is a project, you treat him as one. You don't use him as if he was already ready. A project don't play in the NHL unless you are a team who want to lose. Insanely stupid, but this management is used to it. Still time to go. Still years to come. But now...you could add Zadina to the mix of players who are alreaday trending up and probably moreso than JK. Like Tkachuk, like Hughes. Time will tell. But he better pick it up next year. In the meantime, get the kid IN LAVAL. And use the hell out of him offensively.

DAChampion likes this.
  10. sandviper

sandviper No Ragrets

in all seriousness, this is true. Before the start of this season, I was concerned of a Kotkaniemi extension of 6 x $6M and Domi getting 6 x $9m. Not so much anymore.

Per Sjoblom likes this.
  11. DAChampion

DAChampion Registered User

Skill and IQ are irrelevant without development time and without confidence.

The stuff about "always being a project" is misguided -- Kotkaniemi would be a far better player now if he had played 20+ minutes a game in Laval last year and the start of this year, and gone to the WJC, and not been given correct workout advice.

CHwest likes this.
  12. DAChampion

Yes, at least if there are no good players, Molson can save money on payroll.

13. Andrei79

Andrei79 Registered User

Well, go read the Zadina thread on Detroits forum. A lot of them have been worried up to now about his upside.

I thought he was a lot more ready than KK last year. That said, I like Detroits approach a lot better with him than we've had with KK. He's had time to adjust to the pro game in the AHL.

Per Sjoblom likes this.
  14. Whitesnake

Automation & Robotics
    People are worried 'cause more and more you see kids dominating at a younger age. And seems to me that more and more, that's what you expect from a top 10 pick. In our case, he was a top 3 pick. Just like Galchy. And because this organization is unable to choose a direction, they have to compensate with having to rush kids who are not ready. Just because they do better than what we have. Which brings the question....are the kids better than what we have? Or is this team so weak that the players we have are worst than NOT READY 18-19 year old kids? I choose the 2nd option.

You can't attract UFA's 'cause they don't want to play here? Fine, the direction to take then is to get what you can and develop your kids in the minors. And by developing your kids, it means making sure that whatever league they are playing in, that they are actually playing. A lot. Then, when they'll be ready at 20-21, you bring them up and you start getting the beset of them.

What this freakin organization is doing is finding stop gaps for kids....that they already are using, stalling their development, and that when you'd hope they'd be ready to take charge, they can't 'cause they are not as good as they should have been.

It's insane really. Let's keep ALL our kids 'cause they are the future of this team....but let's **** the future 'cause we need our kids in the present. And people buy that. Over and over and over.

CHwest, Sorinth and Andrei79 like this.
  15. Whitesnake

Automation & Robotics
    Having said that, I believe that development or not, Timmins isn't the god some say he is. But JK is NOT a bad pick. Even if he was not the BPA or even if he is not better than some chosen after him, he should not be what we see this year. Absolutely not. If he happens, that's SOLELY on development for me. And remember that, 'cause that's not something I say often....

Frank Drebin and Andrei79 like this.
  16. Habs

Habs Registered User

But what if he doesn't 'crush'? What does that do to him mentally?

17. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

At this point all we can do is try.

After this injury, I would loan him to the world juniors if he recovers in time (unlikely) and have him play in junior the rest of the year. Perhaps even all of next year too.

We have Danaul-Domi-Suzuki-Thompson-Poehling. Let's over develop this kid and bring him back when he's good and ready and physically developed.

18. Habs

Habs Registered User

Its not a bad idea, but it will never happen.

26Mats likes this.
  19. azcanuck

azcanuck Registered User

Encouraging that he skated for 30 minutes this morning.

He wont suddenly be asked to play in a world junior tournament and have some Russian idiot hammer him from behind.

His brain needs a rest. I'd say two more weeks at least.

20. DangerDave

DangerDave Mete's Shot

Luckily it only starts in a couple weeks. Could serve as a good conditioning stint.

21. angusyoung

angusyoung Registered User

self employed?
    He would have to be one of,if not the most impressive or else that will shatter any confidence he had.
    And at the same time maybe get ol' Jed Clampet to whittle down that frikkin lance.

22. angusyoung

self employed?
    Very generous,no way in hell do either deserve,nor did they that type of deal. Enough with giving RFA's the keys to the city,bridge until proven.

23. DAChampion

There's no such thing as "proven" as players are always paid based on the expectation of FUTURE performance. Any player can fall off a cliff or fail to progress.

24. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

I'd also like to see him play this year in Junior even after the world junior tournament.

Let him get back to dominating. We're fine with Suzuki as the 3c. Go out and get Chuky for the missing offense. Then when Drouin comes back we'll be as good as can be this year. Maybe KK is ready next year. But I'd even be fine with him playing another year in Junior or the AHL while his body matures and gets stronger.

25. angusyoung

self employed?
    Players ARE not ALWAYS paid on expectations,it's not carved in stone,bridge deals and arbitration still occurs. Speculating on a players development and future contributions are not always clear and evident. It's up to the Gm's to ice the team within constraints of cap available. TO screwed things up IMAO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.