Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvenSteven

EvenSteven Registered User

No Foudy. No McMicheal. No Dale. No life from this London team tonight. That crew may get bag skates tomorrow.

Nice win, but it gets an asterisk from me.

shanewalsh, Hendy and rangersblues like this.
  2. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    Hahaha I remember that! I scored a goal on him in mini-sticks that day!

JoelKRangers likes this.
  3. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    So with 7 straight wins i'm guessing the brass is going to be looking to bring people in instead of selling. I wouldn't blame them with the way this team has responded since Mckee was fired but I still don't think it would be the best idea.

Who knows though, with Ingham in net this team has a chance to win on any given night.

JoelKRangers likes this.
  4. EvenSteven

Maybe mild sell at least. We don’t have the assets to go all in.

JoelKRangers likes this.
  5. EvenSteven

We don’t have enough assets to bring in enough quality help. Sure we’re on a 7 gamer. But we’re still only a 500 team.

Our record will level out eventually.

6. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    Yeah this is definitely an over achieving patch of the season and the low points prior were an underachieving part. That being said I think this team is better than their record indicates with Ingham in the mix. He is easily the best goalie we have had since Gibson and completely changes the dynamic of the season for me.

The lack of assets is definitely a major hurdle. I would still put myself on the sell side of things for that reason, but with Ingham anything is possible.

7. GEO1050101

GEO1050101 Registered User

Never thought I'd ever say this but "thanks rangers".

8. MatthewsMoustache

MatthewsMoustache Registered User

I’m not on the fire sale train. trade 2 of the big 4 forwards. maybe squeeze a first round win out. keep Ingham unless there’s a trade where they couldn’t say no. even when fully healthy this team has some nights where Pfeil/Torchia/etc. would get absolutely torched

also how long before Valade gets some recognition for the NHL draft by literally anyone but Caitlin Berry. he, as advertised, does everything. scores goals, kills penalties, manages to be in front of the net on the PP at 5’10 160 pounds. had a decent hit on Keane right before the delay of game penalty. Keane has been horrendous in every game they’ve played the Rangers/been on sportsnet and he gets a C rating from central scouting every month still. I know all the Knights posters would love to see him get traded too

9. EvenSteven

Let me start by saying I am not in favour of an “all in” buy at this deadline. That’s because it would leave our bank of draft picks virtually bare going forward and would severely affect the chances of us being able to go “all in” for the 21-22 season.

But because people all of a sudden want to go “all in” now because of this winning streak, I looked at the possibility of doing so.

If we decided to buy, we may as well buy enough to put us over the top. To do so, we’d need two veteran wingers and one D. I feel to be a threat to win the conference, we’ll need to be deep through the four lines. We’ll also need depth on D. We found out the hard way about injuries on the back end a couple years ago.

Because our asset base is low, we’re going to have to try and add as cheap as possible. That’s means multiple high end acquisitions (ie Brown/Smith) are out of the question.

Unfortunately, we are already set at the least expensive areas to improve a roster - OA and import slots. So we might have to target secondary 19 year olds to fill the three slots that we’d like to fill. We should be able to do that with the assets we have. But we could also get inventive.

If we add one big chip, we’ll have to move a decent young player along with picks. We are adamant that we refuse to sell Pinelli. So it’ll have to be an 02. I’m also refusing to move Sebrango. So it’s an 02 forward. Also, let’s target a big chip who may not demand elite return because they’re having a season where their performance is a little less than expected thereby bringing the price down a tad:

To Kitchener:
    Serron Noel

To Oshawa:
    Isaac Langdon
    2nd
    2nd
    3rd
    3rd

We may have to sweeten that deal by adding a couple more picks (3rd and 4th?). We also might have to swap out Langdon for MacDonnell but for now, I’m going with Langdon.

As long as I’m looking at the Oshawa roster, how about something a little outside the box. We could upgrade our D in such a way where we bring in a top end D. Oshawa sells off, they’ll be doing so with the goal of having the strongest team possible for next year because of their expected Memorial Cup bid. Nico Gross will graduate after this year. So that means that Oshawa will be going back into the import draft meaning that next year they’ll have a rookie import player to replace him. Maybe they’d make a deal to avoid that in order to have the best possible team on ice.

To Kitchener:
    Nico Gross

To Oshawa:
    Ville Ottavainen

Oshawa would have two imports for next year with a year’s OHL experience already under their belt. Ottavainen should be NHL drafted by then. That will make that team better. This off season we go back into the import draft and make two selections. That’s not ideal, but we’re not contending next year anyway. Worst case scenario, we cut loose one of those two picks after next year and go back into the import draft the following off-season.

Veteran players (2000 born) we could target that wouldn’t be expensive but would make our team better/deeper:

LW-Zack Trott-Soo
    28GP-27pts-
    Would be a pretty good “third” on one of our top two lines. He isn’t top end but he’s good and would play an OA season next year. We could probably get him for a couple 3rds? Maybe a Nick McHugh type player? He may not get quite the numbers here as he wouldn’t get the PP minutes he’s getting now but he would be an asset. His +/- is +13. That’s pretty good on a bad team.

LW-Rich Whittaker-Miss.
    Similar description to Trott. A little less PPG and +/- but a decent “third” on one of our top two lines. Probably cost comparable to that of Trott.

D-Jacob LeGuerrier-Soo.
    Soo should be selling and he would be a solid add on the blueline. He wouldn’t be terribly expensive but would likely cost us one of our seconds plus. 2nd, 3rd, 3rd maybe? He’s NHL drafted (Mtl 5th round) but there’s a chance he plays an OA season next year.

For me, let’s assume we do the above Oshawa trades and the Soo trades:

In:
    RW-Noel
    D-Gross
    LW-Trott
    D-LeGuerrier

Out:
    C-Langdon
    D-Ottavainen
    2nd
    2nd
    2nd
    3rd
    3rd
    3rd
    3rd
    3rd
    3rd

How we look:

Hawel - Meireles - Noel
    Trott - Damiani - Yantsis
    Valade - Pinelli - MacDonnell
    Petizian - Serpa - Stepien
    Fishman - Dickerson

Vukojovic - Sebrango
    Gross - LeGuerrier
    MacPherson - Bergkvist
    Xhekaj - Motew

Ingham
    Pfiel

That’s a deep team all the way through and may be good enough to win the conference.

We’d be in tough shape after this year asset wise. We’d sell off Vukojovic next year and any 2000 born players with value that return. If we do get multiple 2000 born players back and get decent return for them and Vukojovic, we may build up our bank someone going into the following season.

robertmac43 likes this.
  10. OhSheila

OhSheila Registered User

Yeah, and then London and others upgrade and wipe out our upgrades.

Don't let this winning streak fool you. Our lack of depth is still there.

We are good, very good, but we're not going to be OHL Champions. I think it's time to sell, stock the draft pick cupboard, and bring in some other team's prospects.

We can trade and still make some noise in the playoffs

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Gondrex, EvenSteven and bobber like this.
  11. Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue Registered User

Enjoyed the game last night......took full advantage of London without their 2 star forwards....just like many teams took advantage of a very depleted Rangers during their horrendous injury period. I always find that the Rangers are more tuned to getting that Teddy Bear goal and are a bit tight. Once that was out of the way, they loosened up and took it to London. More grit........didn't back down.....didn't allow London to skate around in their zone at will.....and used their speed to roar back into the London zone. This was a solid win and continues their new style of play. Mistakes? Oh yes but fewer than I've seen in a long while. Plus there are the little things that they do now that they were not doing (or allowed to do?) pre MM. Let's keep it going.....

bobber likes this.
  12. bobber

bobber Registered User

Nice to see the Rangers beat the Knights in our barn for a change. MM basically said he wants the team playing more aggressive and working hard at the Aud so fans go home satisfied with the effort even if they lose. That is an attitude fans have been waiting for here. Another issue the teams here have gone through is poor starts and weak goal tending. Ingham has been steller in net. Gives the players more confidence to make plays and not be afraid of mistakes. Passing has been incredible. Not sure what they are feeding these players now. It's a difference of night and day.

Rangers True Blue likes this.
  13. Buttsy

Buttsy Registered User

Goaltending is so important in today’s game. Always has been but the speed and lack of contact in today’s game potentially leads to mistakes and that’s when you need an exceptional goalie. Always wondered why goalies don’t get more love in the draft?

BogeyJ, Rangers True Blue and bobber like this.
  14. EvenSteven

Of course they would. Saginaw and Flint too.
    You’re preaching to the choir.

That’s why I’m a “sell” guy.

15. Billyjack

Billyjack Registered User

I like Mierelis and Yantsis to London for their overages with Stranges and picks coming back. Maybe Ingham to Saginaw for Lennox and picks or to Flint for Vierling and picks

16. bobber

bobber Registered User

Many Knights fans aren't to sold on Stranges. One way player. They were surprised he back checked a Ranger in this game. Kid can skate though. Reminds a bit of Bracco.

17. Torgo

Torgo Registered User

To save yourself some time, just copy and paste this after every game. It might not seem like a lot of time saved, but when you post it every day, the time adds up.

Of course it does, because anything positive can't actually be positive lol. It was a great effort by our guys any way you look at it.

I can see trading Damiani over anyone else, he'll get more in return than the OAs do to not needing a team with an open OA slot. That'd still leave us with a playoff team that can be somewhat competitive and also get us some assets. I think something along those lines is the most realistic. I'd trade Ingam as well IF a trade involving him or Damiani brings back a solid young goalie and picks.

Bill Secord likes this.
  18. HockeyPops

HockeyPops Registered User

Lots to like for Kitchener in this, but Damiani needs to be heading out if you want Stranges back. Your OA won't land him, just picks.

EvenSteven likes this.
  19. Jives

Jives Registered User

I’m the “sell” guy too. If you look at 19 year old talent it took to win ohl last year here it is.

11 solid players and a decent goalie

Suzuki - team Canada
    Phillips - team Canada
    Enwhistle - team Canada
    Samorukov - team Russia
    Scharr
    Radcliffe
    Hawel
    Ralph
    Toropchenko
    Durzi
    Gordeev
    Popovich

Kitchener this year. 3 good players and a hell of a goalie.

Damiani
    Bergkvist
    MacPherson
    Ingham

Id much rather have Guelphs 19 year olds vs Kitchener even though Ingham is way better then Popovich.

OhSheila likes this.
  20. Jives

Jives Registered User

what’s the point of moving just Damiani? If you are GM and figure you can’t make it to the ohl championship then sell everyone possible to give yourself a serious shot in the future.

I’m tired of this “let’s be competitive” bs. Let’s actually try to win a championship. If that means admitting that we don’t have the 19 year old talent (hell....we don’t have much 18 year old talent besides Vuk) then sell and give yourself a legit shot to win in the future.

Gondrex, EvenSteven and Ward Cornell like this.
  21. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    Agreed! Either commit to going in or be bad for the next year or 2 and have an "all in" year. Trying to be competitive each year means a whole lot of mediocrity...

Gondrex and Jives like this.
  22. Torgo

Torgo Registered User

And I'm tired of armchair GMs that think they have all the answers with options that are binary all-or-nothing, and don't seem to understand nuance . We have few other assets that will bring much return, so I'm advocating we AT LEAST trade him off. If you can move Ingam and get a young goalie or great price, for sure trade him. An OA sure, but if you think you're getting a good return for all 3 OA's, I've got a bridge to sell you.
    He has to sell something imo, can't stand pat, and I don't see a market for a full fire sale. Trying to be realistic, if you want to hold onto wild expectations, only to be disappointed, be my guest.

If we aren't contending, you trade what you can, I think you can trade Damianin and possibly Ingam, maybe 1 OA, but you won't get what you want or expect for the OA players at this point. It's crazy to me that that's a "controversial" take when it doesn't differ from most opinions here, outside of factoring in realistic expectations for the current trade market. If we do a fire sell, the biggest advocates of it will be here complaining that it wasn't what they thought, been my prediction from the start.

Except London who everyone here has little brother syndrome over and desperately wants to be. They sell, for sure, but they still remain competitive even when selling. In years they don't see a fire sale being an option, but aren't competing for a title, they still sell at least one major asset while keep a decent team that helps develop young guys.

Ward Cornell likes this.
  23. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    We have not had the draft success to maintain that kind of success even in sell years. We also don't have the pull of the Knights these days. Obviously we are still a hot destination for most players but London is by far and a way the #1 option for most players entering the league.

24. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    Also did anyone read this Brown article? The OHL 21: Time for change

Some funny segments and some things I would actually want to see

JoelKRangers and rangersblues like this.
  25. EvenSteven

This is pretty much what Steve Spott did during his time here. One hard sell off in his first season in 08-09. After that, never really sold off ever and as a result, in years we should’ve contended, we didn’t have the assets to go all in hard. Spott was left to whine about high prices that he couldn’t/wouldn’t pay because he didn’t have the high picks gained in what should have been sell off years, and wouldn’t part with youth (ie Pederson).

We were pretty much mediocre over those years. We had good regular seasons but dismal playoff records. He totally wasted the two John Gibson years here because he wouldn’t/couldn’t pay market value at the deadline.

Gondrex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.