Player Discussion: Kyle Connor is a machine.

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by 1stDan, Aug 13, 2018.

1. ffh

ffh Registered User

Although roslovic is improving he still hasn't even proved he can handle being a 3c. So a 2c is not in the cards anytime soon. Il be happy if he turns to be a 2/3 line tweeter winger.

2. LowLefty

LowLefty Panglossian Sponsor

Agree with most of this Mort (and all of it to an extent) -
    If there is anything we might not line up on it would be his passing -
    I do see his passing game as very good - he's set up a few beauties lately including the blind pass to Scheif (Vegas game) recently and the game winning goal by Little in Regina. His goals / assists ratio are pretty consistent -
    I get the impression he is being asked to shoot more - similar maybe to Ehlers - just a suspicion.

3. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd You kids get off my lawn! Sponsor

While I see a lot of positives and potential in KC and have high expectations for him, I also agree with this. More than any other player he is set up to succeed. I don't think he has ever contributed much to the PP and Schiefele - xxx is better with Ehlers.

But not to make a liar of anyone, I do expect him to go on a tear. Even without the 'teacher's pet' coddling, he is a very talented player.

AstrophysicalJet and Eyeseeing like this.
  4. Mortimer Snerd

I don't disagree with any of that, except the G:A ratio. Career he is 73:68 and this year 6:7. I would like to see the A's closer to 1.5 x the G's. He is a good passer and I expect that to come.

I think everybody was told to shoot more. They seemed to be getting too far into playmaking, trying to set up the perfect chance, 1 pass too many mindset.

KC is a shooter/scorer and I don't expect him to become primarily a playmaker. Just bump up the playmaking a bit.

LowLefty likes this.
  5. ffh

ffh Registered User

I know ehlers is small and cuddly but till he does something in the playoffs like Connor he isnt as good as him . 2 years no goals and half the points as connor is not good.

6. Mortimer Snerd

And how is he to prove he can be a 3C if he is not given the chance?

Not to mention that on his most recent (very short) stint at C he did very well. Currently, as a natural C, he is performing like a 2RW. But you just stick to your narrative. If Maurice does it, it must be brilliant. :sarcasm:

AKAChip likes this.
  7. Mortimer Snerd

Clearly you did not watch Ehlers play in the PO. You just counted up the goals at the end.

8. Howard Chuck

Howard Chuck HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Totally agree that he needs to keep his eyes open for his team mates. Laine was open a few times last game in some open ice with his stick cocked and it was like KC didn’t even see him.

But he’s very good in all other areas so I think it will come.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  9. 10Ducky10

10Ducky10 Registered User

So, you're happy?

10. ffh

ffh Registered User

Mr malaise who could be argued was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. Ok if you think he had a good playoff

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    KB1971 likes this.
  11. Mortimer Snerd

Agree. He has the talent. I think his steady progress indicates the necessary attitude. It will come .... and so will 40 goals.

Howard Chuck likes this.
  12. ffh

ffh Registered User

played like a 4th liner yesterday but you know baby steps.

13. AstrophysicalJet

AstrophysicalJet King Jordan

Rebel Alliance spy
    Not a very fair comparisson at all!

Last years PO, Ehlers avg. 12.50 with no time on the 1st line, no PP1 and getting shuffled all over the place.

KC on the other hand, averaged 21.23 while being allowed to build consistancy on the same line (The 1st) and on pp1.

In 17/18 it wasn't as bad, but still no comparison.

Ehlers avg. 15.52 with no 1st line minutes and no pp1

KC averaged 17:44 played a good chunk on the 1st line and also pp1.

In my humble opinion, there is no basis for calling KC the superior player at all. Ehlers has shown he is more versatile, can run his own line, does not need line consistency to produce or pp1, does not need a boatload of minutes either, and is better in his own end.

Sorry if my post looks messy, it's 4am here, and I just got up.

14. AKAChip

AKAChip Registered User

Anyone could argue anything. I could argue that I’m the world’s sexiest man, but that wouldn’t make it true. This take is preposterous.

15. ffh

ffh Registered User

He was healthy and he was scratched. How many players miss playoff games due to malaise. Connor showed up when it counted ehlers didnt. Regardless of the points.

16. AstrophysicalJet

Rebel Alliance spy
    Funny that Danish news reported he played with an injury (On injections) this is also why he did not play in the WC.
    So nope, not a healthy scratch.

This news, came from his father btw.

Was ok for the 1st 3 games.

Mortimer Snerd and Eyeseeing like this.
  17. LowLefty

LowLefty Panglossian Sponsor

This isn't an Ehlers thread so I won't get into the other side of the argument with what Ehlers doesn't do so well.
    I also don't enjoy calling out one player to pump up another.

I get that you are responding to a post that might be doing exactly that - but you don't have to play if you don't want to.

Regardless, KC's game is nothing like Ehlers - there really is no need to compare.

18. AstrophysicalJet

Rebel Alliance spy
    Fair enough - But this does tend to happen, people tend to compare players, even in that players thread.

Has happened in the Ehlers thread and in the Laine thread.

This time around, I felt like playing tho, that tends to happen if I REALLY disagree with what has been written.

LowLefty likes this.
  19. GumbyCan2

GumbyCan2 Registered User

Hockey-Nerd
    Petan's "talent" has never been the question marker! It's his size combined with fit, role and opportunity. His size issue covers the strength category too.
    He just Never got traction in fairly limited overall action, plus being tasked to provide scoring on a checking/ energy 20 or under line was not ideal for him to showcase his production. And the AHL was never comfortable for him, I believe, to advance is skills when dodging head-hunters and body-snatchers of that league, more often than not.
    I am not saying he is better than Kyle Connor at all, just stating some realistic points, points of view and happenings for Petan, while a Jet prospect.
    Petan was never going be a better option than Kyle Connor in filling a top_6 winger to provide speed with quickness and a scoring shot.
    Petan should have been groomed for, trialed more realistcally as a 3-C and hopeful 2-C center. Not an energy with scoring winger! Jets, Maurice's downfall in Pete's progression with the Jets. Now, he is stymied in T.O. So, K.C. is our winner!

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  20. GumbyCan2

Hockey-Nerd
    Yes, and he is ignoring the fact Ehlers was not in similar situations to KC, 1/2 the ice-time. Not as many o-zone starts. Playing with BLittle, not Scheifele at Center. Very little actual P.P time. Only last 30 seconds or less of 1st-line leftovers.
    Anyhow, hope to see both excel and produce all this year and right into playoffs.

21. GumbyCan2

Hockey-Nerd
    No, he hasn't proved a lot at center position in the NHL yet. A fact but...even Nico Hischier in NJ, a #1 o/A pick, playing in an eqvivalent role for NJD as Scheifele for the Jets, has had his hiccups, lesser moments. Go even further to track 1st 1/2 And full seasons of Mike Zibanejad, or Alexander Barkov, or Sean Monohan. Were they given up on or destined to 3rd line winger roles because they didn't take the reigns instantly? No they have been given time and opportunity to figure it out and persevere. JR deserves more time and chances to adjust to center. Or, if he continues to excel as a top-6/9 winger the Jets could do wise to look elsewhere and very diligently for a Bryan Little center replacement, top-6/2-C.
    Andrew Copp, while deserving of "attempts" to fill that 2-C role in current state, situation for Jets, is not a realistic choice if needing a more scoring capable center to help carry 2nd line more for long-term. He is fine to fill in and give the 2nd Line a little defensive responsibility.
    Gotta like what is working in current lineup trials last 2 games! Can it be sustained? Let's hope so!

22. Spock

Spock Commander

You can't just make things up, or interpret something a certain way, and expect people to accept it as facts.

23. Jets 31

Jets 31 Berdin is fricken hilarious Sponsor

I like Connor and Ehlers , think they both have a tonne of talent , both are great draft picks , both will be Jets for a long time , and both make the Jets better which is the main thing .:nod:

24. probablywrongbut

probablywrongbut Registered User

I think you have the wrong thread.

25. ffh

ffh Registered User

my very 1st post was that it could be argued he was a healthy scratch. he was scratched and the reason given was general malaise. he wasn't injured and he wasn't sick at least according to ehlers and the jets. the main point was he played in 2 playoffs and he didn't play well in either. connor played well during the season and the playoffs last year and ehlers didnt. yet all you hear is how much better ehlers then connor and connor is product of wheeler and scheifele.