Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by Hunter368, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Neuf

Neuf "Pace" is not a meaningful stat

Laine going to have less goals than last year

Scored in 2 games so far, only beat a goalie twice.

Screenshot_20191105-215218.png

2. Neuf

I have a theory, though. I'm seeing opponents having a harder time getting the puck off his stick. I'm wondering if he is using a stiffer flex now. That would help his board battles and stick checking. Used to be like stealing a puck off a spaghetti noodle.

If he's using something less whippy, it could be harder to do his usual shot:
    images.jpg
    patrik-laine.png

3. Kiekura

Kiekura Registered User

Nope. Pretty sure he is still using same flex and even if it was higher flex it doesn't Make that huge difference

4. mattihp

mattihp Registered User

It is interesting that the non Jets fans who said that Patrik can't pass the puck have all gone away ;)

5. libertarian

libertarian Registered User

As a huge Laine critic for the last few years that piss off many Laine fans I love the player he is turning into. His over all game is now the best ever in his NHL career and the points will come eventually. Would not be surprised to see Laine as the Jet's best players by year end. The goals will come as Laine eventually get top minutes as a Jet forward. The young man has turned into a real good hockey player.

6. libertarian

libertarian Registered User

I never has a issue in the past about his passing except he didn't pass enough. Then again when you are scoring like he did I understand why he didn't pass. He is now reading the game so much better that it is only a matter of time before he is scoring at a pace like he did 2 years ago.

7. Halberdier

Halberdier Registered User

Laine started with a sleepy 1st period on their new 1a or 1b line, while Scheifele was just great and Connor at least good. Fortunately also Laine woke up for the 2nd period and even if he didn't score, CSL looked pretty good out there as also Connor got more and more used to his new line mates. (EWR was also good).

I am really excited to see how that line continues as they get used to playing together. For their first ever game together, that was already pretty good.

Some defensive concerns: that goal against was possible as no winger kept the blue liner after CSL rushed back to their own zone. Those kind of plays should be played with better care.

Upperdeckjet, HHel and 1OApick like this.
  8. Ukkosenjumala

Ukkosenjumala Registered User

At what point does the conversation go from "Laine's shooting percentage is gonna even out and the goals will come" to "Has Laine's shot regressed and his real shooting percentage is lower now". Don't get me wrong, he's played pretty well and he's got the points but man when's the last time you saw him snipe a corner? We take it for granted that his shot is gonna be there but if he doesn't practice it anymore or he's been convinced it's better to focus on other things, it can regress. He's had multiple games this year where he had 5 shots or more, previously that meant atleast one goal. He's gone 11 games without goal, I don't even remember when he last scored on a wrister. I know people are glad he's hustling more and seems stronger on the puck but the lack of goalscoring is very troubling especially when you consider this has been going on ever since his run in November.

9. Duke749

Duke749 Get Well Soon Bryan Little

That will completely depend on who you ask. If we get more of last night, the goals will come. Players consciously or unconsciously will be getting out of the way of his one timer and if it’s on net, the only way it’s getting stopped is by the goalie’s positioning. They can’t react to his shot when he shoots lime last night. It’s all a guessing game. I think last night was a subtle warning to the league. Watch out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  10. Ukkosenjumala

I'm a bit worried exactly because he's getting alot of shots but he's not scoring. A guy with a shot like that shouldn't be so inconsistant, his one-timer looks pretty good but it should be just one part of his arsenal. I don't think he's "lost his shot", I don't think you can lose something thats so deeply ingrained to your muscle memory, at his age anyway but he might have lost an edge if he's not focusing on it and taking it for granted.

I'm sure he's gonna have a big night or two soon but the question is, does he go back to not scoring goals after that.

Upperdeckjet likes this.
  11. DRW204

DRW204 Registered User

since 12/01/2018 - 12 goals in 73 regular season games played. Had a great 5 games to start the year but production and play has dried up.

12. backwards motion

backwards motion Registered User

I know it's a bit off topic. I remember just joking when Laine was shooting at Arizona if I remember correcly, last season I mean, and broke the glass with his one timer on practice. And also joking about just shooting on defence to take them out of the way. I don't really joke about it anymore. Tanev is an another team and willing to block... but man, would it really hurt to take a block from Laine's one timer.

If Laine has been good and helping the team winning, I'm ok with that without scoring (though I'd be untruethful to say a goal once in a while would be nice). Hard to think muscle memory to suddenly just quit. It may be the system, it may not. At least he's helping the team that's backbone (defence) is totally destroyed from last year.

I still think it's early as he has a bit more tools in the box than some would admit. My opinion just, don't try to put words into another peoples mouths.

Serious blendering happend. Result was ok, I'm just not sure if Laine is been utilized "to perfection". At least we are winning. Much better than losing, don't have to give too much leeway to opposition, as it really is early.

Howard Chuck likes this.
  13. Ukkosenjumala

Agreed, the reason I bring the goals up is because I feel people are getting stuck on him being almost PPG. Connor Scheifele Laine might be what the doctor ordered, so far when Laine is on the ice the Jets allow way more high danger chances than they get. Helleybuck has also been making alot of saves, he needs to start scoring those goals to do his part.

Again, I'm not saying he's playing bad or that Wheeler has been better yada yada what people love to argue about. Just that he can't let these scoring slumps continue, it's the main thing he brings to the table and the rest of the stuff is extra. He's never propably gonna be the kind of guy who can tilt the ice possession wise heavily or shut anyone down but he can put up a lot of offense, the assists are there right now and now the goals are needed.

Upperdeckjet likes this.
  14. ovythegiraffe

ovythegiraffe Registered User

I think he's still figuring out his game a bit, and it just takes away from that killer instinct needed for sniping goals on the regular. He has put in a lot of effort into getting his overall game better and has made great progress in that. Once this new level of play has fully ingrained to his brain, he can fully focus on scoring again, and that's when the floodgates will open.

All the pieces are there now. The final step is to get everything to click together and we will have a fully dominant player. I have a good feeling that it'll happen soon with Connor and Scheifele.

15. jepjepjoo

jepjepjoo Registered User

xGF% among top6:

Ehlers 46.99%
    Laine 46.47%
    Scheifele 44.71%
    Connor 42.73%
    Wheeler 42.35%
    Roslovic 41.57%

Farmboy Patty and Halberdier like this.
  16. 10Ducky10

10Ducky10 Registered User

Laine has 14 points in 15 games and people are complaining because he isn't lighting the red light? Gimme a break. His scoring will come but he is a better player than last year and his giveashatness is WAY up.
    He'll start putting them in soon if the team plays like it did last night...
    We could have seven players with 50 or more points this season. We've had 5 players get at least 50 points the last two sesaons.

KappoTheGoat, Shaibu, Kiekura and 2 others like this.
  17. Ukkosenjumala

What's your point? I know what his xGF% is, it's not good and like I said, Wheeler isn't doing any better.

18. 1OApick

1OApick Registered User

It may be possible that his shot has regressed but not by wide margin. Wouldn't bet against math he was so hot last October and some mental things got to him after that. His goalscoring will come and will come in bunches.

19. googleIsMyFriend

googleIsMyFriend Registered User

His point is, Laine is 2nd best forward in this team at the moment...

Farmboy Patty likes this.
  20. Neuf

I want Laine to score goals in 35 games or more per year. Last year he scored in 19.

Hopefully he gets there.

21. stonec

stonec Registered User

Will it? I hope so. Alex Ovechkin and the much criticized Auston Matthews have both scored more goals this season than Laine in the last 70 games together. Those were the guys Laine was compared against in terms of his scoring ability and Laine's shot was actually considered more accurate than Ovechkin's few years ago. This team needs more goals from Laine, it's obvious if they want to keep succeeding.

22. 10Ducky10

10Ducky10 Registered User

Teams pay more attention to Scheif than Laine's past centermen; thus, opening up more room for Laine.

23. Empath

Empath Registered User

Guru
    If he stays with Scheifele and without Wheeler, the goals will come. Being out there with Scheifele opens one of them up because there's more scoring threats to cover. It was close on many shots and once his stick exploded. 2 of them were blocked by suicidal D. Laine will now get more room to shoot because Scheifele demands attention too.

Farmboy Patty and Halberdier like this.
  24. Halberdier

Halberdier Registered User

If you have xGF% substantially better than your linemates, you are doing something right, and it's more about your linemates than about you, that stats are not 50+. I see pretty big difference on relative xGF% looking above figure.

Farmboy Patty likes this.
  25. Ukkosenjumala

Well like I said, I'm optimistic about this Connor Scheif Laine line. However my argument wasn't about how he's playing overall or that he isn't getting the points right now. What I'm saying is his scoring efficiency has been low for almost a full year now and it's been going on too long to just waive it off as an outlier, him getting alot of shots and not scoring is exactly what's troubling. Sure it's always gonna even out somewhat and he's gonna have some 2 goal nights maybe but as an elite goalscorer, you don't have great nights then a whole lot of empty nights. You have some great nights followed up by some good nights and maybe a bad night here and there.