Lewis Hamilton: Will he dethrone Michael Schumacher?

Discussion in 'General Sports' started by alko, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

Sure, but even his first victory with the rookie Benetton team in 1986 came with Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell all finishing. The following season both of his victories came from the pole so it's not like he was collecting freebies when he won. Later in his career reliability was much less of an issue anyway. Also there aren't many non-champions that have dominated races ten years apart or finished first eight different seasons.

2. Paris in Flames

Paris in Flames Registered User

I like how we're now just discussing Bottas.

Good driver. Great car. Terrific teammate.

Don't know if I'd put him in the top 10 on talent alone.

Actually. No. He's likely in the 7-10 range.

3. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead
    You're talking about Hamilton all-time or Bottas in the current field?

Hamilton 7-10 all-time is ... well, a frank answer would lead to a warning/infraction.

Bottas 7-10 in the current F1 field... That seems very right to me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  4. Paris in Flames

Oh. Yeah I should have been a bit more clear. Bottas in the current field is somewhere in the 7-10 range for me.

Lewis all time is top 3. Where in the top 3 though is what I'm unsure of.

MXD likes this.
  5. Kiwi

Kiwi Registered User

I'd rate Fangio as #1 even though were comparing drivers of different era's

It gets a bit more difficult when i start comparing Schumacher, Hamilton and Senna though

I'd probably lean Senna and Schumacher but I may have a bias towards those two because they were in their primes as I was growing up, I don't find Hamilton very likable but that tends to fade after guys have retired from the sport

So I wouldn't be shocked if I feel differently about him after he's finished driving

6. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead
    Who was the greatest F1 driver?

Of course, this was made after Lewis' 2nd title, so it's not totally up to date, and there's no way that Ricciardo, Bottas, Verstappen miss it, while both Hulkenberg and Perez should be really close. Some things don't pass the smell test, and pure numbers analytics may lead to glitches, like Robserg being really high due to beating Michael who was clearly past-his-prime, or HHF getting ranked really high by absolutely eviscerating a totally demotivated and ancient Damon Hill, and John Watson being ranked 15th by virtue of being really close to Alain Prost and Niki Lauda when teaming them, despite doing so when Prost was just getting started and when Lauda was only coming back.

But this list gets many things right as far as I'm concerned.

7. PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus Registered User

It will be nearly impossible to determine the top driver but someone may really dive into the analytics and make a great case.

Senna was cut short....it would have been so much better to see him and Schu head to head for a few more years. Schu was ridiculously good at hitting key laps at key times. Vettel has been a phenomenal front runner.

I go for how cool you are in the fight and that leaves me at Senna and Lewis....Senna had to battle Prost in his own team, none of these other guys had that. Prost is just a fraction off these mega stars and maybe is right alongside them in his own right.

Until proven otherwise....i'm left with Senna even though he was not perfect either. Hitting Nakajima in Brazil, putting it in the wall at Monaco and taking out Prost in Japan.

Really great debate...Lewis is still piling on and may end up as the greatest of all time.

8. Paris in Flames

At the end of the day it may be even more convoluted than comparing hockey players from different eras.

9. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead
    It is, because teams are intrinsically different in quality, not to mention mechanical DNFs on which the driver has really no bearing on... Except for ONE very specific driver.

10. JoVel

JoVel Registered User

Why do I not get this?

11. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead
    I think it's on the site I've referred to -- or somewhere else, I can't remember -- but there has been some kind of analysis about mechanical smoothness and what it entails for drivers, and the conclusion is that drivers, with one VERY specific exception, have pretty much zero impact on mechanical DNF's.

The driver being, of course, Alain Prost. And one must remember that Prost started his career with VERY, VERY fragile cars.

JoVel likes this.
  12. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

13. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead