New Back Check: Hart Trophy Part 2

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by rnhaas, Dec 12, 2019.

1. rnhaas

rnhaas Registered User

Marketing Strategist
    Home Page:
    Hi all,
    The second episode in our series on the Hart Trophy is finally up, covering Hart trophies from the first ever (1923-24) through to the last one before the start of the Original Six era (1941-42). Hot takes abound.

The episode can be listened to here or on iTunes, as usual. Show notes can be found here.

Thanks as always for your interest and for allowing us to share it here.

2. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

I just watched the first part of it....

Host annoyed because he usually judged Hart worthiness by: Ppg, art ross, point shares, best player on best team, etc... "and Nighbor was none of those..."

The host then said he "found on the Internet" that Nighbor was considered one of best defensive forwards of all times.

The co-host then compared Nighbor to Toews in Chicago.

The host then objected: We have never seen how they played in the 1920's, rosters were tiny... "how can we know who the best defensive player is?"

The host then mentioned how Morenz had said Nighbor was the best player a few years later when Morenz received the Hart. But the host wasn't buying the claim:"I don't know what it looks like." He added: "People say nice things about those they like."

The host went on to denigrate the 'sweep pass', talked about the equipment was so poor and how there were small rosters, so maybe all skaters were just tired, making it easier for Nighbor to defend.

The host noted that Nighbor had denied inventing the pokecheck, saying he " stole it from a guy named Jack Walker."

The host is left unconvinced. "I need more than reputation. I am very skeptical."

THE HOST DOESN'T READ HISTORY BOOKS. HE DOESN'T REFER TO PLENTY OF AVAILABLE ACCOUNTS OF NIGHBOR'S CONTEMPORARIES: COACHES, OPPONENTS, REPORTERS.

HE BELITTLES THE DIFFERENCES OF THE ERA. HE HAS THREAD ON THIS BOARD BUT DOESN'T EVEN READ AND REFER TO THE BIOGRAPHIES ON THE ALL-TIME DRAFTS THAT HAVE EXTENSIVE QUOTES FROM THE ERA.

I found the host uneducated on the subject, at times incapable of finishing sentences, dismissive of the times, lacking a historical perspective and an appreciation of the past.

I learned nothing and heard only prejudice.

Ugh.

Note: that "guy named Jack Walker" wasn't some nobody as the tone of the host suggests, but instead he is a Hockey Hall of Fame inductee.

3. rnhaas

rnhaas Registered User

Marketing Strategist
    Home Page:
    Thanks.

I once asked a regular History of Hockey poster to join us for an episode and he said he didn't want to participate. I never asked again.

I'll extend the invitation to you, as well. If you'd like to come education us about a particular time or player, we'd be glad to have you.

4. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

Tell you what...

PM me about who you will be talking about prior to broadcast and - subject to lead time - i'd gladly provide you with a lot of specific research. I used to be a newspaper journalist before i became a teacher. I love research.

(I'd join your broadcast also, gladly, if you can walk me through the tech. I'm in South Korea and not very tech savvy.)

rnhaas likes this.
  5. rnhaas

rnhaas Registered User

Marketing Strategist
    Home Page:
    Thanks!

6. seventieslord

seventieslord Student Of The Game

Can't like this enough.

In a hockey history podcast, try appreciating history instead of showing such deep contempt for it

7. rnhaas

rnhaas Registered User

Marketing Strategist
    Home Page:
    "Deep contempt" feels just a titch hyperbolic. I'll also extend the invite to you.

8. senior edler

senior edler your alternate captain

Calm down, buddy. It's still too early in the week-end to spend this much energy. There's way better ways to get your message across than throwing two whole paragraphs caps lock at a guy who's not even a regular at the board.

rnhaas likes this.
  9. rnhaas

rnhaas Registered User

Marketing Strategist
    Home Page:
    It looks like it might be productive. So it all works out.

10. BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl joueur de hockey

Have to agree it would be better if you studied the player in depth before using him as a theme for your podcast.

To know and contextualize Frank Nighbor in the history of hockey requires understanding professional hockey in the 1910s and 1920s, as well read on the Ottawa Senator dynasty.