Player Discussion: Niku

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by Hunter368, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Hunter368

Hunter368 I’m loyal to nothing except the dream.

Last thread exceeded post limit.

2. Evil Little

Evil Little Registered User

Lol.

Never change HF Jets...

3. GaryPoppins

GaryPoppins A broken clock is right twice in a day

If I'm Niku, I'm pretty annoyed. He should have been in majority of games last year but Maurice was resistant. He'd likely rot in the press box with the Jets this year over plugs like Bitetto, Sbisa and Kulikov so the moose is honestly the best place for him in all likelihood.

I don't know which rumours anyone is referring to... Haven't heard anything. Seems like a really blunt dude so maybe that rubs people the wrong way?

4. tbcwpg

tbcwpg Moderator

It's a bit early to throw in the towel on the season right now. We should know a lot more about the direction the team is going by the end of November. The team has been pretty poor and is still within that 4 point playoff gap that is the benchmark at US Thanksgiving.

Starting in the AHL and then coming up to the NHL and sticking mid-season isn't an unusual path for an NHL prospect. Connor did it with this team.

5. GNP

GNP Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!

Realtor
    I think Niku is always a real threat to score in the offensive zone, and a smart quick thinker. I'd like to see him play while we're trying out new defensemen, and see how he does. I think he'll do great --and is fun to watch.

I don't think Niku has Maurice`s confidence on the defensive side of the game, so I guess he'll have to improve there, before Maurice plays him ? I wonder why the Jet's aren't playing him.

6. AKAChip

AKAChip Registered User

Normally I don’t disagree that some time in the AHL is needed for a lot of guys. The point that I try to make is that Connor and Niku are currently the same age. Connor went through this three seasons ago at age 20. Niku wasn’t ready then but he’s had two-plus dominant AHL seasons since. To me there really isn’t any reason for him to not be with the main club right now. He’d both be an upgrade to our current defensive lineup and in theory is also a long term middle pairing guy for this team. That’s the upside. Downside is keeping him in the AHL over inferior players, stagnating his development and alienating a guy who should be a major piece of our team going forward.

7. Ducky10

Ducky10 President Patrik Laine Fan Club

He’s a good player, we need good players. Don’t know what the issue with him is but I hope they’re at least communicating it to him more clearly than having him just rot in the minors. It’s a bit of a passive aggressive approach.

8. tbcwpg

tbcwpg Moderator

I agree that he should be up much sooner than later, but I don't think its a situation where every day he spends in the AHL is ruining him further. I'd see how the rest of this home stand goes at least before calling him up. The team has points in 5 of their last 7 games, and while the performances have been up and down, points are points. We'll know more about how the season is going in a week or two.

9. Jets 31

Jets 31 Berdin is fricken hilarious Sponsor

He's not with the Jets because he swore in that interview last time he was up . :laugh:

10. ovythegiraffe

ovythegiraffe Registered User

I haven't heard any rumors that would suggest attitude issues other than that he was in the press box for a game in the AHL for discipline reasons (could be something as simple as being late for a meeting/practice). Regardless, there's no point to play him on the Moose anymore. We need to give him a real shot either to see if he can translate his game to NHL level or to just pump up the trade value if the issues really are so bad with his character, and this season would be the perfect time for it. His value and level of play is as high as it's going to get playing in the A.

He did become a father a couple weeks ago though, so maybe that has something to do with all this.

hn777 likes this.
  11. abax44

abax44 Registered User

Seems like you answered your question before even asking it.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  12. Timeless Winter

Timeless Winter SaveD the Crew

Machinist
    Why hasn't he been called up yet?? Should be healthy now from his preseason injury?
    Don't understand why Bitetto plays and Niku is in AHL.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  13. Fire Chevy

Fire Chevy Registered User

He will get called up before the end of the month book it and he will never get sent down again :nod:

larmex99, jetsfan15, hn777 and 2 others like this.
  14. jetswin

jetswin Registered User Sponsor

In his pregame interview yesterday Maurice gushed about "Tony"(Bitteto)....how hard it was to sit a guy that has played so well and that "Tony" is and I quote "so important to the team". Niku isn't getting called up over Bitteto ever with Maurice.

15. Channelcat

Channelcat Unhinged user

no
    Bitetto is considerably better than Beaulieu and Sbisa (for now) in my opinion. But I agree he should be in the lineup.

16. kanadalainen

kanadalainen A pint of dark matter, please.

Bending laws of space and time.
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 9.29.19 AM.png

8 points in 7 games. We need this guy on the Jets. C'mon management, this isn't a tea party featuring the politics of mincing courtiers' etiquette, manage this.

hn777, Mortimer Snerd and Fire Chevy like this.
  17. ffh

ffh Registered User

why are so many interested in his stats. that's not what the jets would be interested in if they decide to call him up. can he play defence is the only thing that matters. the only way I see this guy playing this year is because of injuries.

18. Kratti

Kratti HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

I'm certain that the management is trying to "teach him a lesson", hence the treatment he's receiving. If he ever has an NHL career to speak of, it won't be on the Jets. That ship has sailed, imo.

Duke749 likes this.
  19. Upperdeckjet

Upperdeckjet Registered User

I don't quite know what to think about Niku's ability to play in the NHL. We never had a real long look at him. If he does however, I do not believe his future is with the Winnipeg Jets.

I think we all agree Ville is looking like a strong contender to make the team next year. With that being said, I suggest we will not see a long term defensive roster with Josh, Pionk, Ville and Niku. That foursome simply does not have enough size and bite in their game to bring long term success over the course of a season or the playoffs.

This is my opinion of course, but I also believe it is the opinion of our coach. Hence Bitetto.

Eyeseeing likes this.
  20. Ducky10

Why is that not a good way to measure his defensive impact?

21. Silver Moose

Silver Moose Registered User

Herbivore
    Watching the two games against the Griffins last weekend, Niku was frequently outmatched by faster and heavier players. He may be an offensive plus but given the Jets' defensive state right now, I'd agree that Bitetto is the far better choice than Niku.

Upperdeckjet likes this.
  22. ffh

ffh Registered User

Come on.

23. jetsfan15

jetsfan15 Registered User

Totally agree. We’re only 1 month into the season and just 1 point out of the playoffs (although Arizona has a game in hand, but that doesn’t really change the essence of the argument here). And with the numbers that Helly is putting up in net so far, if that’s sustained over the course of an entire season, we are likely to be in the playoffs (and we all know how a good goalie can carry a team far in the playoffs, even if the team has weaknesses elsewhere...).

24. Duke749

Duke749 Get Well Soon Bryan Little

The idea is with these kind of players is their contribution offensively usually outweighs their negative contributions defensively.

25. Ducky10

What come on? Tell me how a defenseman scoring points doesn’t indicate his team has the puck most of the time he’s on the ice. You can continue to look at defensive play with tunnel vision but there are lots of ways to look at impact for a defenseman.