Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Nov 25, 2019.

1. EON

EON Moderator

2. OHLoutsider2020

OHLoutsider2020 Registered User

Not sure Sudbury has enough to be a TRUE contender like you say. That being the case, would Byfield ever become available? If so, what brings him the 67’s ?

3. OHLoutsider2020

Sorry not saying you called Sudbury a TRUE contender. Just referring to the TRUE contender category as a whole. Sorry new at this.

4. beastintheeast

beastintheeast Registered User

teacher retired soldier
    Looking at the standings you have to think that this is the PETE's year to go for it.
    Windsor has a lot to offer and as usual London is in there and we know HUNT is pretty creative.

There is just too much unknown for us to really know if we are a TRUE contender. Yes, we have players but the problem is does we have the currency that the rest of the league is going to want.

We are not going to know that until the deadline or the 67's make any deals.

Either way, I think we have to give Boyd and Tourigny because he is going to make the best deals he can for the team. As either a buyer or a seller.

OHLoutsider2020 likes this.
  5. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

For the record, Jeff Hunt is retired. As far as I am aware, he has nothing to do with OSEG anymore.

He's still listed as Governor for the 67s but I am not sure he has much to do with the team outside that.

6. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

There are six teams with a .700+ win%. I think Sudbury is a better team than 2 of those teams.

I think what Dirty is saying with respect to contender isn't necessarily linked to the teams that are currently succeeding. He is suggesting a contender needs to not only have a good team now but must also have assets that can be transitioned to players that can help win now.

Ottawa, because of the strength of their 2019 draft anhasd the volume of picks they have in 2020, has the ability to rebound from trading all of Matier, Belanger and Tolnai whereas many other teams don't have that luxury.

So being a contender requires the ability and willingness to make transactions. There may be loads of teams atop the standings and capable of winning. But, only a few of those teams are poised to push the envelope. Ottawa is one that is capable.

OHLoutsider2020 and dirty12 like this.
  7. beastintheeast

teacher retired soldier
    Ottawa may be capable but I look at a few of these teams and they have not been active in the buyers market.
    Peterborough has for a long time been a noncontender and doormat. I would think that their fans are probably looking for them to do things and such the Pete's are not going to willingly let Ottawa or any east team make huge deals that could hurt their chance without putting up a fight for prospects.

Windsor has been building picks and probably has the assets if they want to.
    London always seems to have that ace up it's sleeve also I am sure they have been guaranteed that they will not win any bid for the Cup.

As I said Boyd can only offer what he has and see what teams are willing to give in return. We at this stage are not in the position we were last year of being able to get into a bidding war for a player or group of players.

8. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

Yes, we are in position to bid against almost anyone if we choose.

We have:
    SIX 2nds
    FOUR 3rds
    ELEVEN 4ths
    Tolnai
    Belanger
    Matier
    Constantini

We could trade each and every one of those assets and not have it affect this year's roster dramatically. With those assets combined, we could add a top pairing D-Man, a #1 Centre and two top six wingers.

I'm no suggesting we do all that but if we are being honest, Ottawa is in a position of strength on the trade market.

sirius67fan and dirty12 like this.
  9. BarberPole9

BarberPole9 Registered User

Going to be a good tilt against a hot Frontenacs team tonight. Will be interesting to see who Ottawa starts in nets after Cranley's good game on Sunday. Andree's been playing mostly only against the top teams- will Coach Tourigny put Kingston in that category with their recent hot run?

10. OHLoutsider2020

Coach said yesterday on TSN1200 that Cranley starts tonight and Sunday vs NB.

11. OHLoutsider2020

Colby Ambrosio has officially put pen to paper for Boston College

12. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

13. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

Probably safe to say that half way through the 2nd, the Fronts winning streak has come to a crashing hault!

67hockeyfan likes this.
  14. beastintheeast

teacher retired soldier
    Let's face it the trade deadline is going to be interesting to watch this year not only from the perspective or who we take but who other teams take and who starts the game with the first trade.

The first trade will set the standard of what teams will do so it is the important one

15. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

16. beastintheeast

teacher retired soldier
    8 goals scored by 4 people tonite so far interesting.

I hope that Tfourigny gives the 3rd and 4th line lots of minutes in the 3rd. Good chance to let them gain some confidence

Uncle likes this.
  17. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    BarberPole9 likes this.
  18. BarberPole9

BarberPole9 Registered User

Double hat trick special, good to see Rossi and Keating light it up. Rossi has a legit chance at the league scoring title as all of the top scorers ahead of him should play on their countries’ respective WJC teams and he has announced that he will not.

Yanic Crete up to five goals after potting a pair more tonight. Maybe bigger things in store for him?

Funny to see in an 11 goal outburst that we had 7/20 skaters without a point including the red hot Mitch Hoelscher. Goes to show how dominant the top line can be.

19. 67hockeyfan

67hockeyfan Registered User

Great that we found the back of the net. Not so great that we allowed 6 goals by one of the weakest teams in the league. We had better tighten up defensively for Saturday’s game since I don’t think the Gennies will be quite as generous.

20. beastintheeast

teacher retired soldier
    Looking at the stats I think Tourigny may have done with the 3rd and 4th lines for the first half of the period.

21. sirius67fan

sirius67fan Registered User

Yes if they play like that against the gens it will be another 11-6 score but not for us.

67hockeyfan likes this.
  22. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

You know how it goes in blow out games. It gets loosy goosy and players lose focus. Happens all the time with many teams in those types of games. It's why when you see one team score 10 goals, the other team scores 5 or more. Very rare you see 8-1 unless the goals mostly came late in the game.

23. sirius67fan

sirius67fan Registered User

Yeah a game like that players want to pad the stats and forget the game plan. Anyway if somebody would have told me we'd be 18-6 ,with four regulars out for most of the year and playing 6 rookies, I would have taken that in a minute.

OHLoutsider2020 and BarberPole9 like this.
  24. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

Again, I think a lot of that is overstated. I don't think Okhotyuk and Rippon mean as much to us as they would most other teams because the guys behind them are capable. We can't boast about blueline depth and then complain when we are short two D-men.

We are essentially without Clarke but we acquired Garreffa which is an upgrade. The rest of the injured, for the most part, aren't a big loss. The only two key ommissions so far have been Clarke and the 5 game suspension for Rossi.

No disrespect meant to the 67s. They've done well. But they also managed to put up a silly overtime-shootout record. It has gone a long way toward padding their points.

I think the team we are seeing now is considerably better than the team we saw through the first dozen games though. The team has found some chemistry and players are starting to fit better into their roles. The younger guys are starting to play a lot more poised as well.

67hockeyfan and OHLoutsider2020 like this.
  25. StormWatcher

StormWatcher Registered User

Ottawa has a rare opportunity to make up for last year and push chips in. Go for it.

Gogolev and Hillis for Matier, Tolnai and picks (2020 3rd, 2022 2nd and conditionals if they play as OA's). There's your top 6.

Robray12 likes this.