Tennis: [Part 2] 2019 U.S. Open

Discussion in 'General Sports' started by MiamiScreamingEagles, Sep 8, 2019.

1. kanuck87

kanuck87 Registered User

The sad thing is that it's not just the Top 3. There are literally a handful of other players born in the 80's with better performances in majors than just about anyone born in the 90's. Who's the most accomplished player born in the 90's? Probably either Nishikori or Thiem?

For sure, there's Wawrinka, Murray, Del Potro and Cilic. Even Tsonga and Berdych compares pretty favourably to anyone born in the 90's in terms of performance in majors.

Edit: Forgot about Ferrer as well.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    discostu likes this.
  2. discostu

discostu Registered User

Home Page:
    Good list. I'd also add Roddick and Isner to the 80s list. Also, I was corrected on the previous page, as Niahikori is actually born in the 80s as well.

Wrigley likes this.
  3. GQS

GQS Registered User

Federer vs Novak this year was another 5 hour match and even the 5th set between them took 2 hours. If you look at many if not most men's matches and just count the first 3 sets, that's usually longer than most women's matches. That's even assuming women play a ton of 3 set matches which they often don't because alot of those matches end in blowouts.

And this isn't even including the fact that almost every memorable tennis match played involves men. There's barely any women's matches that people talk about as soon as its over and yet people will remember Federer/Novak at Wimbledon this year just like they remember the Federer/Nadal battles at Wimbledon from 12 years ago etc.

4. ViD

ViD #CBJNeedHugs

So refreshing to see the new Safin-Kafelnikov two punch duo in Russian men tennis, it’s been over ten years since we had elite male players.

5. JianYang

JianYang Registered User

The context of this discussion was about pay equity. I think the most fair way to distribute prize money would be based on the amount of revenue each each gender brings in.

Now, I'm assuming that's close to 50/50, but I could be wrong. Tennis does a great job marketing the woman's game relative to other sports.

6. discostu

discostu Registered User

Home Page:
    It's hard to pin down exact revenue breakdowns, but, at present, the Men's side is the heavier earner. However, there have been periods, specifically the Seles-Graf years, where television audiences higher for the women's matches.

Regardless of the exact breakdowns though, the treatment of the women's side as just as important has likely helped with the and overall revenue of the sport. I've seen stats that attendance at the US Open is pretty close to 50/50 for men and women. That type of ratio likely is a source of envy from other sports.

Edit: I was curious so I looked it up, and over the weekend, the women's final actually earned a higher television rating in the US than the men's. That's one market, but, it's generally the most lucrative market.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Wrigley and MsMeow like this.
  7. Tuggy

Tuggy Registered User

8. kihei

kihei Registered User

Talk about poise and assurance at an early age. Kind of takes my breath away.

Wrigley and Tuggy like this.
  9. MsMeow

MsMeow Registered User

And confidence without being an *******.

Tuggy and Wrigley like this.
  10. Bogart

Bogart Here's looking at you, kid

Agreed. The fact that one poster used the length of the 2 finals was just sad. We're talking about this big, important issue and he based his entire argument on Nadal not finishing off his match in 3 sets! :laugh:

discostu likes this.
  11. MsMeow

MsMeow Registered User

I see a lot of posts where some guys will make a comment about the women's game and it's loaded with sexism but they don't come out and say it. I've seen a couple of guys say that women should play best of 5 in majors. Women are obviously not as strong as men so it would be insane to go best of 5 because there would be more injuries and the quality of play would be watered down.

12. johntanner1787

johntanner1787 Registered User

It's incredible how a 19 year old can be so business-like both on and off the court. I remember when I got my first office job, I was nervous asf to talk to anyone for the first few weeks and I'd often stutter and say things in ways I'd never say them lol

mmvvpp likes this.
  13. discostu

discostu Registered User

Home Page:
    I think we've all seen those comments.

It's funny, as tennis compensation is based precisely on what many sports fans claim they want, which is that players get paid only if they perform. But, even with that, people find ways to criticize it.

I actually wonder if the tennis industry wants best of five matches. Sure, when they're good, they're really good. But, I'd argued that a bad best of five match is worse than a bad best of three match. The former gets extra tedious. Plus, television networks don't want 5 hour sporting events. They're difficult to schedule and keep audiences interested.

Throw in your points about the physicality likely reducing the calibre of play, and it would be a bad, and costly decision for all involved to move to it. But, it gets thrown out there by many people who seem generally opposed to equal pay.

The last couples of months, I've been more curious on the topic of player compensation in general. I thought this article, which came after Bianca's Rogers cup win, was pretty interesting

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/the-buzzer-bianca-andreescu-rogers-cup-pay-gap-1.5246335

Uncle Rotter and Wrigley like this.
  14. Bogart

Bogart Here's looking at you, kid

I agree with your whole post, but I especially like this. Now that the top players are getting guaranteed contracts in all the major league sports, imagine if half of the All-Stars' salary was based on their playoff performances. It would be really exciting and interesting and 95% of the players would be unaffected. Would Tavares play better in the playoffs? j/k ;) I don't dislike him.

15. Roman Fell

Roman Fell Rick Ro$$

16. tony d

tony d HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Office Worker
    Bianca's had quite a run. Seems to be professional in her ways as well, hoping for continued success for her.

Wrigley likes this.
  17. Sugar Domi

Sugar Domi Registered User

The US open highlights are the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. Three minutes into the highlights there's exactly 1 winning shot by Andreescu. You watch those highlights without looking at the score and you're 100% certain Williams blew past Andreescu. Just wow...

Wrigley and kihei like this.
  18. tony d

tony d HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Office Worker
    Yeah, the focus is still going to be on Serena - Like it or not. She's the GOAT, she's a more well known name than Bianca. It's not something I agree with but it is what it is.

Wrigley likes this.
  19. Sugar Domi

I understand that. For example, Bianca started on court 9, and Serena kept getting the best possible courts/time slots, and I am fine with this at this juncture of both player's careers. But the highlights of the game are something different. It's like they're trying to re-write history or something. It's trumpian in its will to distort the truth and spin a narrative at all costs. I just think highlights of the match should reflect what happened in the match, show what were the key moments of the match. Serena blasting a winner in a lost game when it's the only sequence of that point you show is not a key moment of the game and it's a bit silly IMO.

Wrigley likes this.
  20. discostu

discostu Registered User

Home Page:
    I saw an ad from IBM that referenced their analytics system and how it's used for the US Open. I found this article that references it a bit (was for Wimbledon, but I assume the same system is used).

How UK Companies are Using the IBM Watson AI system

If they are using crowd noise, that would explain it. It's also not a great system if that's the result. I can understand the need so you don't have people manually cutting highlight packages for every first round match, but, you'd think they could afford a producer to cut their highlight package for the final.

Wrigley likes this.
  21. MsMeow

MsMeow Registered User

If you're in the GTA CP24 has the rally on right now

Wrigley likes this.
  22. Sugar Domi

There's a limit to how much you can automate things. If that's really how things were done, then the algorithm really needs reviewing.

Wrigley likes this.
  23. discostu

discostu Registered User

Home Page:
    Once the machines take over, they're not going to be too happy you said that.

Vasilevskiy, Wrigley and JianYang like this.
  24. TheFuture06

TheFuture06 Registered User

I was so excited for Bianca winning the US Open and representing Canada so well. She handled herself with such grace in all that pressure. She made our country proud.

jj cale, kihei and Wrigley like this.