Ranking the NHL's GMs

Rating:
3.125/5,
  1. ClydeLee

ClydeLee Registered User

This isn't a way of these write ups that is call ranking gms.

Your take on all is basically how is your active and immediate outlook based kinda on only a 2 year window.

Making moves to win now and succeeding that hurt immediate future would be something I'd call positive even in harmful times but taking those risks and failing pretty bad are punishing too.

2. Glengarry Glencross

Glengarry Glencross Stay Gold

Student
    I'm not sure what your point is.

3. hangman005

hangman005 I survived the great HF crash of 2019

Supreme Overlord
    Pretty good list... though I'd disagree with saying GMGM botched the Shipocyev situations. He could of handled it better to start with yes, but from there he acted in the best interests of team.

4. Aladyyn

Aladyyn counting stats are the devil

Imagine if Sabres didn't fire Tim Murray and sucked until 2020. Would he be considered a top 10 GM? Of course not. Cheveldayoff is mediocre at best.

5. naruto

naruto Registered User

Idk if oilers will recover. Their cap situation is already really ****ed up.

I dont think its right to pile on oil fans bc I can understand how happy they were last year after going through so much the last decade. However to be fair, oil fans acted very badly last year so I can see why ppl are eager to rub it in. The amount they talked down to all other Canadian fan bases in the summer reflected very poorly on the oiler fanbase imo

mouz135 likes this.
  6. 20 others

20 others Here for the hot takes

Chevy's dealing with Scheifele and Ehlers was magical. A mediocre GM does not sign those deals. We will see what Chevy is made of in the next 2 years as we start to contend, have big deals to negotiate, and the cap to wrestle with. Aside from being very quiet on the free agent and trade fronts (as his MO), there is no reason to believe he is doing a bad job.

7. NeedleInTheHay

NeedleInTheHay Registered User

Did you really call Kessel tinkering a bit?

He’s an elite player, that ain’t tinkering.

8. rintinw

rintinw Registered User

There were only 6 players on 2016 SC champion from a team JR inherited: Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Maatta, Kunitz - greatly reduced role, MAF - as a backup. In just two years he replaced 70% of the roster and got rid of all contracts considered to be untradeable (for example Scuderi). That hardly just a bit of tinkering. And keep in mind that in summer 2014 when JR came to PIT, team was thought to have almost no prospects of note in the pipeline (maybe Despres or Bennett).

9. 57special

57special HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Anybody ever think that McPhee handled the Shipachyov thing just right, just like he has done virtually everything else?

I mean, isn't it possible that the guy was an entitled *****, not as good as he thought he was, and LVK are better off w/o him??

I'd say the guy who signed Haula to a contract taking him through age 29 for 2.75M/yr, and formed a terrific team out of cast offs deserves the benefit of the doubt, don't you ?

hangman005 likes this.
  10. Baxterman

Baxterman Registered User

I am not sure what is worse acting like D-bags when your team has some, key word some, success or bragging about how you are going to do it again if they somehow get better next season.

And by "put up with ****" do you mean had people point out what a tire fire your team was? Perhaps you should be directing your ire at the guys who created that tire fire not fans pointing it out.

Mitts likes this.
  11. Jetcetera

Jetcetera Registered User

Chayka at 31 imo

12. CanuckGame39

CanuckGame39 Registered User

Oilers fans will be 10x worse next time.

LOL. Next time when? Another decade from now?

Mitts and Joffrey Baratheon like this.
  13. Poyd Treechada

Poyd Treechada I'm Vylette

Funny enough I'd say Poile's worst contract in his existence that he gave out was the Rinne contract, and even then the Rinne contract is far from bad or even a drain. It's still a good contract, just not a steal of a contract relative to some goalies in the league. The fact that Poile's worst contract is the Rinne contract is absolutely fantastic on his part.

Deluded Puck likes this.
  14. BlueBaron

BlueBaron Registered User

I'm amazed none of the HF Leaf Nation guys who think Babcock is a moron have not chimed in. Obviously Lou has not fired our "inept coach" and that should reflect badly on him. Neither Lou or Shanny seem to be able grasp how awful he is or see the things he does wrong constantly.

Or maybe those guys just do not have a clue what they are talking about....tough call......

15. Pirate Deadpool

Pirate Deadpool My dog knows more about hockey than sinbin Ken

REALTOR
    If your turd of a team can make the playoffs next year, gloat all you want but I bet it'll be the same next year. Goaltending and Lucic will continue to drag the oilers into another top 3 draft pick.

16. TLEHMANN

TLEHMANN Party like Kaner

Its funny how one of the best GM's in the league is a non-Former NHL player.. aka David Poile

17. egelband

egelband HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Media
    Gotta figure the Oilers eventually put it together, no? Lots of talent. Maybe just a maturity and/or coaching issue? I honestly don’t know. But on paper they should be better.

18. iMissKovy

iMissKovy Registered User

Professional Bottox consumer
    Lol shero basically made that pit team

19. Peat

Peat Registered User

It was more than just a bit to be fair. There's been a slew of trades to add the important members of the supporting cast and the roster now is more or less completely changed from the one he inherited. The back to back simply doesn't happen without Kessel, Hornqvist, Cullen, Daley, Schultz, etc.etc.

Tbh, I think its incredibly hard to compare Poile to Rutherford. They've had completely different tasks. You can't really judge Rutherford on his Pittsburgh drafting record as there hasn't been long enough and the demands of his task means trading draft picks is regular (although we've been fantastic for getting young undrafted players in this time here). Poile hasn't been asked to make a long time contender into a champion with Nashville; he hasn't been dealing with an org scalped of high end prospects, or with a lot of cap tied into a few people.

For what Rutherford's been asked to do at Pittsburgh, I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the NHL. But would I want him in charge of a long building process? I don't know, that's a question for Canes fans.

20. ottawa

ottawa Avatar of the Year*

Bergevin is way too high

Deluded Puck likes this.
  21. LeafFever

LeafFever Registered User

The Devils did go to the fianls 5 years ago.

22. LeafFever

LeafFever Registered User

Everyone knew that was a terrible signing. He'll get worse with each passing year. Guys that are slow and physical break down at an earlier than others.

23. Hischier and Hughes

Hischier and Hughes “I love to hockey” Sponsor

Lamoriello is not still a top-5 GM

Lucking into and drafting good players doesnt make him a good GM. Not to mention he ruined NJ before he left. Shero should be #4 if rankins are the same and lou falls.

Blowfish likes this.
  24. Dicdonya

Dicdonya Registered User

So you cant win cups with just 1-2 great players, but we should rank how good players are based on if they have cups???? What kind of sense does this make in your head?

Ovi is not the best goal scorer in the league, it must be some other decent goal scorer that has a cup? Thornton isn't one of the best passers of all time, because he doesn't have a cup? Kucherov is not arguably the best player in the league currently, because he doesn't have a cup? I could go on and on.

Your reasoning is extremely flawed.

This is either a team game, and superstars can be the best player EVER, yet never win a cup due to terrible teams. Or one player really can bring a team kicking and screaming to a cup, and therefore the best players should have cups, otherwise they weren't really the best.

You can not argue its both ways at once.

Mitts likes this.
  25. Soundgarden

Soundgarden Registered User

hanging out
    This was when he needed to re-sign one of the big three at any cost to tell the other two he was serious. If he didn't manage to sign Rinne or match the offer sheet, it would have been devastating for us.

Vali Maki Sushi likes this.