Should the NHL have allowed the use of non-wooden sticks?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Amazinmets73, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Amazinmets73

Amazinmets73 Registered User

Should the NHL have allowed its players to utilise state-of-the-art technology or followed the MLBs traditional approach and adhered to wooden sticks?

2. The Panther

The Panther Registered User

In my opinion, wooden sticks should have been mandated.

3. Amazinmets73

I tend to agree. One reason is economics. How much more affordable would the sport be if a top of the line stick cost $45 as opposed to $300?

rfournier103 likes this.
  4. Minar

Minar Registered User

Yes. Gotta keep some fair consistency throughout the years and eras.

rfournier103 likes this.
  5. JianYang

JianYang Registered User

Goals had come down despite the advancement in stick technology.

We also got goaltenders who evolved to become more bulked up, yet the equipment was lighter than before.

The horse is out of the barn now. Theres no going back. This is just another reason why I dont like to compare two guys from different eras. Theres too many variables at play.

scott clam likes this.
  6. mrhockey193195

mrhockey193195 Registered User

You could have restricted the bolded if every NHL player wasn't shooting the puck 90+ mph. It became a figurative arms race, and now there's a legitimate argument that you cannot reduce the size of goalie pads much further due to safety concerns.

brucejohnjennerlawso likes this.
  7. JianYang

JianYang Registered User

The enlarged goalies actually came before the non wooden sticks though. So I think goaltender intentions were more about covering as much net as possible, rather than safety concerns.

But youre right, with the current sticks, there probably would be claims against safety.

If the league wanted to do something though, the time was even before the non wood sticks came onto the scene. Goalies were pushing the envelope, and the nhl didnt do anything about it.

8. Neutrinos

Neutrinos Registered User

I have no problem with players using modern sticks

9. Thenameless

Thenameless Registered User

Yes. All other equipment has advanced. Skates, jerseys, helmets, pads, and of course goalie equipment. There's no need to single out the stick, and leave it lagging in advancement.

scott clam likes this.
  10. Amazinmets73

Fair point. A sport like baseball has little equipment that can be enhanced by modern technology. Yea, gloves and cleats have improved to a degree. However, you could suit a player in gear from 1985 and he'd compete without issue. In hockey no chance

scott clam likes this.
  11. LeBlondeDemon10

LeBlondeDemon10 Registered User

Generally, I'd agree. However, bats have changed a great deal since the 90's. I don't think they are using ash anymore; I believe its maple. And they make them so light and flimsy now, every player seems to use at least two bats a game. I think part of the homerun surge is due to the quality of the bats, even if they aren't made to last.

scott clam likes this.
  12. The Panther

The difference between hockey sticks and all other forms of equipment, however, is that those other things (shin-pads, masks, helmet, goalie equipment) were never a natural substance, but all sticks were from the 18th century to 1990.

13. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

This is a really tough question. Composite sticks are a bit like electric guitars... they cover up mistakes and make mediocre players look like stars, but they also provide experiences that otherwise wouldn't exist at all.

I think there are a lot of virtues in seeing the game played with wood sticks, but I'm inclined to say professionals should be using the best equipment available. Ideally amateurs should be using wood, a bit like the reverse of baseball.

scott clam and JMCx4 like this.
  14. filinski77

filinski77 Registered User

If wooden sticks were still in the NHL, we would most likely see scoring levels decrease below what they were in the DPE.

Any advantage that players have with composite sticks now are matched by equal advancements in goaltending equipment, where a goalie is literally able to stand there and save certain shots that would have went in 40 years ago.

Not to mention that advancements in defence and the structure of the game as well have tilted the game to a disadvantage of scoring anyways.

senior edler likes this.
  15. Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon Registered Bruiser

... ... ... ... ... ... ...Why?

16. The Panther

That's probably true. My opinion is that I'd rather have the League mandate wooden sticks, but of course it only makes sense if goaltending equipment had also been more limited, but how do you limit something that's artificial to begin with?

The late-90s was a weird period when an increase in goaltender training and athleticism coincided with a big increase in lightness and flexibility of equipment, resulting in the dead-puck era and a lot of average goalies looking dominant.

I almost wonder if it's going too far the other way now, though. Every day I see shots going in the net by stay-at-home defencemen that would have been impossible with wooden sticks. It's not that I would want scoring to go down, but I wonder now if equipment hasn't overly-leveled the playing field between elite and less-than-elite talents (offensively, anyway).

17. filinski77

filinski77 Registered User

Definitely an interesting point of view, I did a quick and dirty quantitative look into goalscoring distribution between players:

1st in goals5151587268
    10th in goals4135364548
    50th in goals2825253030
    100th in goals2220192223
    200th in goals1413121213
    300th in goals99856
    400th in goals65522

300th and 400th in goals for 90's and 80's are skewed because of less teams, and less players in the league, so a lot of these guys were playing 1/3 of the season, whereas in the last 20 years, 300th and 400th in goals would be playing closer to a full season.

Because of this, I would assume the the scoring of 100th place and lower seem to have remained fairly constant. The big changes come from the top ~50 goalscorers each year, being the top 1-3 (depending on era and # of teams) scorers per team.

I'm not sure that stick technology has helped the 'less-than-elite' players be more effective now than they were 40 years ago. It just seems that the improved goaltending and defensive systems have lowered the offensive output of the elite players in the league.

Just my $0.02, as there are many factors that come to play in this.

18. scott clam

scott clam Registered User

Volume and sustain can be used to compensate for a lack of chops, but if anything it is harder to cover up mistakes when the instrument is amplified.

But with that being siad, I tend to agree with your main point.