Why isn't hockey more popular?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Dexter Sinister, Nov 29, 2019.

1. richo

richo Registered User

Oh I don't know. I think hockey is pretty straightforward except for some penalties. Baseball is VERY complicated and unbelievably boring and I have a harder time tracking a baseball than a puck. Football is only easy because you basically have 11 guys trying to maul one or two other guys while 9 guys try to protect those 2 guys.

2. OviGreat8

OviGreat8 Registered User

Kindergarten Teacher
    What people tell me is it is very hard to follow on television because it is too fast of a game. The rules in general are really not that difficult to follow if you get the basic off sides and icing and the other penalties even if you don't catch them in real time are pretty obvious most of the time like slashing, tripping, boarding, and cross checking to what they are.

3. Archijerej

Archijerej Registered User

Hockey is very demanding on the viewer. It took me years to get used to the speed of the game and to understand the nuances. When you're new to the game, it can look very chaotic. You don't really know at first which players are playing good or bad (outside of goalscorers and obvious defensive gaffes), because there's 36 skaters on both teams, they're changing constantly and everything happens much faster than in any other team sport. I mean, you can watch soccer and quickly learn to appreciate a dominating central defender. But how can you learn to appreciate Patrice Bergeron's stickwork and positioning if you don't immediately recognize him during short shifts played at a breakneck pace, having to evaluate the play of couple of dozens other players, and when the actual play he made took a fraction of a second? It takes years of experience and even then you don't register the majority of little plays players make during the game. I'm sure it puts off many people. It's also the reason why hockey will never be as popular as other global team sports. Trying to make it so is a fools errand imo, which can potentially cause more harm then good.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    singlesliceofcheese likes this.
  4. Ezekial

Ezekial Registered User

I always had a hard time seeing the difficulty of the rules of Baseball/Hockey/Football then one day I asked someone the basics of Cricket and he started with "Oh, Cricket rules are easy!" and proceeded to not understand a single thing he was trying to tell me. Then I was like "Oh yea, I learned those sports before I was 10 and they are now ingrained."

5. tellermine

tellermine Registered User

But is baseball easier to start play?

6. coolboarder

coolboarder Registered User

I think that hockey will be fine, there is more and more people in non-traditional markets playing in minor hockey and by the time they are grew up, popularity will only increase a lot more than basketball and even football. If there is more expansion teams and NHL could expand up to 32 American teams and 8 Canadian teams. If there are more rinks being built in southern states. Matthews is one shining example how this will grow into a stable markets maybe one more generation then it will become a full-blown tradition to watch hockey within the family. The Kings is now considered a stable franchise even a few losing seasons now. DC is even more popular than 30 years ago and is considered a hockey hotbed. I am of an opinion that NHL might need to expand a few more teams in order for the sport to be even more popular. I feel that there is need to stabilize the players pool before expanding. If you compare the players pool, it was awful 20-30 years ago when they expanded and they grew the NHL too quickly and WHA didn't help as well. It diluted the quality of the players pool. Now, the players pool is deep enough thanks to European and Russian being able to play in NHL and quality of the game has never been better than 20-30 years ago.

So I do not see another expansion team for another 5 years and will need to see if the quality of players pool enough where enough players in AHL is good enough to play in NHL but logjam in their roster where players is having a hard time making the team. When this happens, it is time to expand and do it slowly one by one. NHL expanded 6 teams in 1967 and the quality of hockey players suffers. They expanded too quickly. What they should have done is to expand slowly, 2 teams for once every 4-5 years. That's when the goon culture came in the 70's because of quality of players wasn't there for the whole league.