Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Nov 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull Registered User

The all time games played record is a nice personal achievement I don't think it goes beyond that really. Kontos still lead the OHL in career GP?? He had a much better career than Boka. Craig Kennedy might be the last 5 year guy for the Spits he had a much better career than Boka. Like I said a nice personal achievement no reason to wax poetic about him though.

Branny likes this.
  2. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

The fact that three (3) players in Spitfires' history have hit the 300 game mark would put him in elite company. We can downplay it because Boka's not an offensive stud, but we all know what he brings to the team. Given how much he puts his body on the line each game, the idea of him getting close to 300 games is kind of remarkable.

Bra Wavers likes this.
  3. windsor7

windsor7 Registered User

He will get a small clap by the crowd.
    And then back to hockey.

4. windsor7

windsor7 Registered User

Trevor will play him a lot.
    He is his favorite.
    Will be on the ice as "much" as physically possible.

5. pi314

pi314 Registered User

Windsor born and currently living in Europe...

I just want to say that I miss our pizza.

scokan, aresknights, OHLTG and 3 others like this.
  6. punch1943

punch1943 Registered User

There are lots of scouts at every Spits game; this I know for a fact. If you've got a chance to get the all-time games played record, on a club that's doing just fine, why not stick around?...
    Sure there are lots of scouts now. The point I was trying to make was IMHO the Spits will be watching most of the playoffs on the TV or from the stands. Don't get me wrong but Boka plays his heart out and would be better off playing on a better team. I'm still of the opinion this team will finish in the 5th-6th range when all is said and done....

7. Teflon

Teflon Registered User

BB will be talking to the teams who own players rights for the nhl. If there’s any indication a player might be heading to the pros next year he’s gotta try and move that player. Now from what I’ve seen this team could contend next year that will help keep guys here. Frankly I’m not sure any player here now is a must move to pro. Another year of jr won’t hurt any of them. Veirling has left the team and said he wants closer to home.... really hasn’t been put on the trade market yet.

8. RayzorIsDull

I think in a vacuum that's all nice but we are also dealing with every CHL team being at the mercy of an NHL team and things can change daily. A month ago nobody thought Peters/Montgomery/Babcock would be out of a job. Things can change on a dime that's why Bowler needs to trust his own instincts. Considering none of the 00's are signed yet that's up to Bowler to how much he values that. Throw in the fact the AHL isn't the only option you can drop a guy into the ECHL as well. You say another year of junior won't hurt them but how do we know that it will help them though???

9. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

Another year of junior can help IF the team is competitive. It'll provide more games against the elite of the leagues, which can't hurt a player. I'd imagine an NHL team is more likely to send Douglas/Corcoran/Angle back (should they not be dealt) if the Spitfires are going for a long playoff run. If the Spitfires were in full rebuild mode, those guys are ECHL-bound at worst.

Teflon likes this.
  10. RayzorIsDull

I don't think NHL teams care about that nearly as much as fans of that CHL team. If that was the case Arizona should have had Fischer stay in Windsor since they were hosting the Memorial Cup. Detroit should have let Zadina play with Halifax last year instead of Grand Rapids. These were examples of players being guaranteed of playing in a Memorial Cup. There is no guarantee of a team going on a long playoff run.

11. Cherrydon

Cherrydon Registered User

Since no back up has been named officially yet, maybe they'll dress Boka lol. He does block shots well and would get 60 min of ice. Lewts would be happy. Just joking, but really whoever it is it would be nice for at least some practice time. Game day is 2 days away.

aresknights likes this.
  12. punch1943

punch1943 Registered User

Stan Butler out in North Bay...the end of an era...

three dog night likes this.
  13. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

The question wasn't whether they WILL keep them, but could a final year of junior benefit them. Yes, it could, with the increased playing time and competition. When Sergachev was returned in 2016, the Habs said coming back to Juniors for another year would be great for him. Not every team will do that but there are certainly benefits.

14. Cherrydon

Surprised? Yes last place but still shocking to me.

15. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

I'm quite surprised with the Butler stuff. Has he said anything since the move? (I haven't seen it)

16. ohloutsider

ohloutsider Registered User

Likely not named publicly yet but I'm sure they are aware who and as you suggest is probably already practicing with the team.

17. Cherrydon

I did see Tovell is officially listed on Lasalles roster today. I believe his name was excluded the last time I checked.

18. aresknights

aresknights Registered User

Totally agree.

NHL teams will make their decisions on any given player after the summer.Not at this years OHL deadline. So much can change for an 18/19 yr old or an organization in 8 months.
    And as you pointed out, "potential" long PO runs slant their thinking minimally. Bowler will need to trust his gut (or the direction of ownership)

Any 1 moved out this year in theory could be replaced next year if needed with acquired assets. No Alisters (Hall, Ellis et al) among those often mentioned here. Not perfect but gives the org more flexibilty if moved at this deadline

19. aresknights

aresknights Registered User

I think NHL teams care more about development than PO runs. Where any player fits in as far as how to best develop is open to opinion. So many pros and cons to weigh and no cookie cutter solutions

20. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

GOJHL LaSalle Vipers | Pointstreak Stats

I wonder what it'd cost to get Sbrocca here?

21. Cherrydon

Local kid from Windsor, Oshawa 7th rounder initially. I would hope no more than a 5th round pick. Hard to say now that all the GM's know were in a bind. Its kind of funny how Junior B & C teams have at least 3 goalies yet the Spits have been down this path too many times being pinched in goaltending depth. Maybe with WR's blessing we could borrow Molu from Barrie and trade him back straight up after the condundrum is over.

22. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

Spitfires have signed G Matt Tovell.

23. windsor7

windsor7 Registered User

Something they should of done awhile ago. Just in the nic of time. Lol

Cherrydon likes this.
  24. hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11 Registered User

The fact he was playing in Lakeshore 5-1/2 hours from his home in Shannonville, half hour or so from Kingston where he played his hockey before being drafted by Windsor in the U18 draft tells me this was all planned prior to anything going on with Piironen re Jr tryouts with his National team,may have been signed back 2 months ago,just not announced, who knows,I figured something was up when he suited up for Lakeshore

Teflon and OHLTG like this.
  25. OHLTG

OHLTG Registered User

This could have easily been a summer decision. If you're not in their plans, you don't move 6-7 hours away to play Jr C. He'd have gone home. The team seemed to have an interest and the best way to watch him, in case of this situation, is keeping him close.

punch1943 and hockeylegend11 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.