Youth Competitions

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by YNWA14, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Ajacied

Ajacied Stay strong Appie! ❤

Ajax U19 beat Valencia 5-3 in the UEFA youth league this afternoon. Another dominating performance. Ajax managed to rest some key players when the score was 5-1. Youri Regeer, still only 16, scored a hattrick, including a bicycle kick.

2. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Yeah was going to say that Regeer looks very promising. Haven’t seen much of him before.

3. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Netherlands up 2-0 on Norway in the u21s with Stengs scoring this incredible half volley for the 2nd goal:

4. Ajacied

Ajacied Stay strong Appie! ❤

Stengs in this current form > every other Dutch forward.

His goal vs Portugal the previous match was also a nice one.

5. ecemleafs

ecemleafs Registered User

9 goals in 4 matches for france u21 for odsonne edouard now.

6. John Pedro

John Pedro #JackHughes

Flamengo didn't release Reinier, so he'll miss the u17 WC (Pedro Lucas replaced him). Brazil final roster:

Goalkeepers: Cristian (Atlético-MG), Marcelo (Fluminense), Matheus Donelli (Corinthians)
    Fullbacks: Gustavo Garcia (Palmeiras), Yan Couto (Coritiba), Patryck (São Paulo)
    Centerbacks: Henri (Palmeiras), Luan Patrick (Athlético Paranaense), Paulo Eduardo (Cruzeiro) e Renan (Palmeiras)
    Midfielders: Daniel Cabral (Flamengo), Diego Rosa (Grêmio), Matheus Araújo (Corinthians), Pedro Lucas (Grêmio), Sandry (Santos), Talles Costa (São Paulo)
    Forwards: Gabriel Verón (Palmeiras), João Peglow (Internacional), Lazaro (Flamengo), Kaio Jorge (Santos), Talles Magno (Vasco)

Players to watch:

Talles Magno, Peglow, Talles Costa, Gabriel Verón and Daniel Cabral.

7. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Talles Magno is a fun player to watch from what I've seen. How do you rate that team @John Pedro ? Curious to see if any teams will stack up well against the Netherlands / France for this event. The Netherlands team is released:

De selectie
    Naam Club

Hugo Wentges ADO Den Haag
    Anass Salah Eddine Ajax
    Calvin Raatsie Ajax
    Devyne Rensch Ajax
    Kenneth Taylor Ajax
    Naci Unuvar Ajax
    Sontje Hansen Ajax
    Steven van der Sloot Ajax
    Youri Regeer Ajax
    Mohamed Taabouni AZ
    Soulyman Allouch AZ
    Ian Maatsen Chelsea
    Naoufal Bannis Feyenoord
    Tein Troost Feyenoord
    Romano Postema FC Groningen
    Melayro Bogarde TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Yannick Leliendal KRC Genk
    Ki-Jana Hoever Liverpool
    Jayden Braaf Manchester City
    Bart Verbruggen NAC Breda
    Dirk Proper NEC Nijmegen
    Djenairo Daniels PSV

Stand-by lijst
    Naam Club

Donny Warmerdam Ajax
    Jaymillio Pinas Ajax
    Max de Waal Ajax
    Tijs Velthuis AZ
    Twan van de Zeeuw Feyenoord
    Syb van Ottele NEC Nijmegen
    Jeremy Antonisse PSV
    Joost de Schutter PSV
    Nigel Lonwijk PSV
    Mohamed Sankoh Stoke City
    Achraf Madi FC Twente
    Daan Huisman Vitesse
    Million Manhoef Vitesse
    Daijiro Chirino PEC Zwolle

Such a talented generation of players. I don't see why they can't win the u17 WC as well. Here's how I'd imagine they should line up:

Raatsie
    Hoever - Rensch - Bogarde - Eddine
    Taylor - Maatsen
    Hansen - Unuvar - Braaf
    Bannis​

Too bad Brobbey is out but I don't think they'll miss him that much with the talent there.

8. John Pedro

John Pedro #JackHughes

Forwards are great, a lot of top-end talent. Talles Magno, Peglow and Veron could form an amazing trio. Midfield is good but not great, especially without Reinier. Defense has been pretty bad, the starting LB (Patryck) is a year younger and makes lots of mistakes defensively, but is amazing hitting the ball and has scored tons of goals from free-kicks and even one from the corner.

Don't know how they gonna mesh, but the talent is there. Expecting a big tourney from Talles Magno, kid has been key to his pro side in their fight against relegation. Hope he starts as a CF instead of a winger, though.

9. John Pedro

John Pedro #JackHughes

Brazil will face USA in their last friendly before the tourney kicks in with this side.

YNWA14 likes this.
  10. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Pelgow, Jorge and Magno all really interest me as prospects.

John Pedro likes this.
  11. John Pedro

John Pedro #JackHughes

12. Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich AV AND GORTON OUT

Student
    I liked the front four and RB. Brazil showed well. They should have a good chance to win this tournament at home with the weakened team that the Dutch sent to the tournament. I thought the Dutch would be the big favorites, but they are missing a few of their better players.

Us, on the other hand, :facepalm:. I'm used to it at this point with this group of players. It'd be best to not talk about them much more than that. Not much good to say.

13. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

In what way is the Dutch team being sent to the tournament ‘weakened’ from the one that dominated at the recent u17 Euro?

14. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    Why are you being so argumentative lately? You very well know not all the best Dutch players are there. A number are missing. I don’t know which team they sent to the U17 Euros. I don’t follow that tournament all that closely.

15. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

I'm not being argumentative I was asking a question about what you said. It's the exact same team they sent to the u17 Euro and dominated at minus Brobbey, who was far from a standout performer in that tournament (IMO). Ihattaren and Gravenberch being the main exceptions as far as available pool talent goes but they weren't part of that set-up before anyway. It's not really a weakened team so I was curious as to what your justification for saying that was.

16. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    I'm not the biggest expert on the Dutch team, but I thought Brobbey, Gravenberch and Ihatteren would all be there. The latter two might've been two of the five best at the tournament, and Brobbey is no slouch himself. There's a huge difference between a team with those three and a team without them. I don't know how the Dutch wouldn't be the favorites with those three, Unuvar, Brobbey, Taylor leading the way.

17. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Well, like I said Gravenberch and Ihattaren may have been the two best players at the tournament but they've not been in the set-up anyway so they're not really 'missing' persay, and Brobbey is a strong youth player but wasn't much special in the u17 Euro. Having him would be great, but him aside the team is essentially the same with a couple of other players emerging like Postema, Allouch and Regeer if anything their options have improved a bit.

France also have a stacked side and were much better than the Italians whom the Netherlands dispatched in the final.

Pavel Buchnevich likes this.
  18. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

CANADA
    1- GK- Marc Kouadio | USA / Montverde Academy
    2- FB- Kobe Franklin | CAN / Toronto FC Academy U-17
    3- FB- Rohan Goulbourne | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    4- M- Damiano Pecile | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Development Squad
    5- CB- Gianfranco Facchineri | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Development Squad
    6- CB- Nathan Demian | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
    7- F- Kamron Habibullah | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Development Squad
    8- M- Ralph Priso-Mbongue | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    9- F- Jacen Russell-Rowe | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    10- F- Matt Catavolo | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal U-17
    11- F- Jayden Nelson | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    12- FB- Deylen Vellios | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
    13- FB- Keesean Ferdinand | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal U-17
    14- M- Tomas Giraldo | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal U-17
    15- FB- Emiliano Brienza | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Development Squad
    16- M- Deandre Kerr | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    17- M- Sean Rea | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
    18- GK- Eleias Himaras | CAN / Toronto FC Academy U-17
    19- F- Mouhamadou Kane | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal U-17
    20- M- Julian Altobelli | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
    21- GK- Benjamin Collins | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

Apparently only players in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver are good enough for the CMNT's youth set up. The politics are ridiculous. The only 4 players in the age group playing pro minutes are not called up unsurprisingly (guess who they don't play for).

robertmac43 likes this.
  19. Pavel Buchnevich

Student
    I'm not saying you are wrong. I don't have knowledge on the player pool to comment on that. But I do follow what's a pretty similar development set-up in the USA.

People always are complaining about how only the players at MLS affiliated clubs are getting called into youth teams, but usually it's not some conspiracy. The best players are almost always the players who are affiliated with the highest level professional teams. The best players flock to the best teams. That happens in every country.

In lower level leagues and development environments, there might be some kids who catch some attention, but playing more pro minutes early on in a lower level league doesn't necessarily make someone better. Some good players will always come from lesser teams and leagues, but I think this is a way over-emphasized discussion in the USA, and I suspect it's pretty similar in Canada.

To relay this back to what the USA does, our coach took a player for our roster because he's gotten some MLS minutes, Sebastian Anderson. This was a kid who had been mediocre the few times he got calls to youth teams, never was in the main group, no one considered him a big talent, but because he was playing some minutes for the worst team in MLS, he made it into the team for the U17 WC over a much more talented and younger player who hasn't had that chance yet.

YNWA14 likes this.
  20. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Yep, and that's understandable but I think there's a pretty significant difference in the US in terms of proximity and number of major locations for academies and so on. Canadian soccer politics are kind of bleh in general, but Canada is so wide spread that you're naturally going to miss out on big talents if all you're looking at are these 3 major hubs.

Someone like Antoine Coupland looked pretty good playing in a decent (relative) NA men's league (small sample size, obviously) and is also an '03. One of the ones I was thinking of is actually injured on further investigation so that's not a big deal. I don't think it's a massive difference in general because, as you said, most of the best prospects/youth are going to be playing in these set ups because of the structure but I think it's a little less centralized in Canada than in the US for obvious reasons.

Though, to be fair, I am mostly just whining because I deeply dislike 2 of those 3 major hubs as well.

Pavel Buchnevich likes this.
  21. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

@John Pedro which of Magno, Costa and Peglow do you like better? No Kaio Jorge in your top 3?

22. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    YNWA14 likes this.
  23. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

With that Moukoko breaks another record and becomes the youngest ever scorer in the UEFA Youth League.

John Pedro and Pavel Buchnevich like this.
  24. John Pedro

John Pedro #JackHughes

Talles Magno right now. He's been incredible in Brasileirao while the others are still playing youth football. He and Reinier are ahead of the class with some easy. Kaio Jorge is an amazing prospect, but I'm kinda disappointed with him as he's 'failed' to earn pro minutes in a club that opens every single door to their youngsters. I also wanted to pick a midfielder instead of naming 3 forwards.

25. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Peglow seems to really know where to be; his shot isn't particularly hard but he has great off the ball movement and seems to get into a lot of good scoring positions. Veron is running Canada ragged, too. Jorge not as noticeable IMO.

John Pedro likes this.